Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Emmisions junk

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emmisions junk

so not that anyone would ever do this but can anyone tell me what the 22re would run like if you removed some/most/all the emmisions stuff. Ive taking it off of carbed muscle cars and they run better than ever but with these im wondering if the system is so intertangled that youd screw with the computer or something by just taking the engine down to basics.

I dont want to hear the enviro-nazis saying youll kill the earth or that its ileagle, I know this, Im just asking.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

if you mean the cat(s) then you'll see mild gains...I see you have header and exhaust so your bottleneck would be the cat....the 22re isnt very powerful so you wont get to much more power out of it so I dunno if you'll be able to feel the gains or not...
Old 04-22-2005, 04:09 PM

the thing i love about the 22re is all the low end torque. if you take of all you emission parts, youll be losing alot of valuble backpressure, ie torque will be lost. Youll gain power through the mid to top range of the rpm.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Really won't have much if any affect. None of the stuff really affects performance that much. EGR is about the only thing, but that is basically out of the picture at wide open throttle, it is mainly a part throttle device. O2 sensor makes the engine run in its most efficient mode and again, only at part throttle, mash the pedal and the ECU goes to open-loop mode. All the rest or the parts are mainly for engine warmup, etc.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:30 AM

As mentioned before, the biggest gains willl come from a free flowing exhaust. (headers, no cats, and a less resrictive muffler)

Second would be removal of the Smog Pump. Just like an AC compressor this unit sucks HP (albeit not much). However yoinking the SP will probbably put the ECU into a coniption fit. This is not as big a deal as you may think, as you can simply add an aftermarket 'piggy-back' fuel controller to 'trim' your fuel curves. However to do this properly, it's not cheap. You're looking at a few hundred for the unit, then installation and (to do it properly) about an hour or two of Dyno tuning. (you gotta pay to play! ) In the end you will probbaly pick 10-15% more power, and better fuel economy (though only slightly).
Old 04-23-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Never seen a smog pump on a 22RE, least-wise, my '85 has none. Smog pumps were an early technology to get enough oxygen into the exhaust for the cat to do it's job. With O2 sensor(s) and computer controlled fuel injection, the amount of free O2 in the exhaust is controlled by adjusting the fuel to match the air flow in the engine.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:59 AM

yep no smog pump here. I was thinking more along the lines of the egr and that little canister on the passengerside that takes your fumes and i think puts em back to the fuel tank (?). just seems like all them vacume lines dont all need to be there, except teh ecu might go crazy once ther're gone. thanks for the posts guys.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

The charcoal cannister won't hurt performance. In fact in these days of high gas prices, it probably saves a little money even. How? It traps the fumes that would otherwise evaporate out of your gas tank on a hot day and then re-introduces them into the engine to be burned (for power).

You can get rid of a few. Remove the VSV on the back end of the valve cover that runs to the fuel pressure regulator:

Then just run a hose straight from the intake plenum to the fuel pressure regulator. This adjusts the fuel pressure up and down depending on engine load. The VSV is supposed to be for some sort of hot start problem, but I've run w/o one for years now, no problems hot or cold. One less VSV, one less wire, one less vacuum hose.

You can also lose the two lines to the p/s pump, they are not performance related, only serve to boost idle speed if you need to steer and the engine bogs down. Mine never worked and I never missed the "feature" and my new pump has no such fitting. Pull the hoses, plug the fittings on the intake:

Two less vacuum hoses.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
on a fuely engine, i don't think there's really any benefit to removing the emissions components. the engine is designed to run and make power with them.

as for carbed engines from the 70s and 80s, the emissions junk is a complete nightmare, and half the time nowadays the stuff doesn't even work right any more. my engine had an incomplete '82 emissions system attached when i bought it, one of the scariest years besides those of the 20R. after all was said and done, i think i have 5 pieces of vacuum line on my engine...
Old 04-23-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
after all was said and done, i think i have 5 pieces of vacuum line on my engine...
You 'n I need to talk!