Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Electrical short or I'm an Idiot?

Old 06-20-2005, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical short or I'm an Idiot?

Ok, am I an idiot or did I perform a stupid test on my engine (and myself). Since getting the top end end rebuilt I've been babying my engine and today decided I would "fiddle" with the idle screw. Now my engine is running and in the process I touched the distributor cap right where the coil wire connects, actually I touched the rubber boot over the connector (yes everything was plugged in and I wasn't sticking my fingers in sockets). Man did I get a nice jolt out of that. My bro-in-law who was standing next to me heard the shock and after seeing I was fine continued to laugh hysterically at me.

Now I never said I was mechanically inclined, so is this common, a possible short, or me being an idiot?

Hope everyone has a good laugh, I sure did. And this has caused me to rethink the upgraded igmition....More Spark!(just kidding I do want to upgrade it any thoughts? Jacobs or MSD?).

-=Morphine=-
Old 06-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Banned

if all you did was touch the wire that isnt right, you should not get shocked from just touching a wire... it should be replaced
Old 06-20-2005, 02:37 PM

I touched right where the rubber boot slips over the plastic on the cap for the main connector. Hope that makes sense.

The Wires are new. Less than 1000 miles on them, only 4 months old. Motors been down almost that same time. Any ideas? at least this means I'm not an idiot...completely

-=Morphine=-

Last edited by Morphine; 06-20-2005 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned

those wires are insulated, you should not have gotten shocked
Old 06-20-2005, 02:41 PM

Check to make sure that the wire (hell, all of the wires for that matter) inside of the connector is shoved all of the way into the distributor cap, and you'll want to get the MSD.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:37 PM

This isn't an uncommon problem. Really high voltage like a modern ignition system can creep out of several places. 1) As stated if a wire isn't pushed in all the way. 2) Grease, dust, film from dirty hands on the wires, boots and cap can allow voltage to 'creep' along the surface of the cap and wires. 3) There could be a hairline crack in the cap. 4) Sweaty hands have salt and water, and excellent conductor of electricity.... and you're a good ground.

Clean the cap with some good dishwashing soap - unless it cracked and needs replacement. Make sure the wires are also clean and in good repair. Even though they are new check for splits or tears in the insulation. Make sure the coil is clean too. Often at night in a dark garage you can see voltage arcing out of the distributor or wires surrounding the distributor. This will show you where the problem is. A light misting of water BEFORE starting the engine will also show arcing in these cases. Remember it may be leaking at a plug and travelling back along the wire to the cap where it's finding a ground. Just because you were shocked at the cap doesn't mean that's where the source of the voltage is.

When adjusting timing on an engine that's running I'll wear a glove and put a rag on the cap just for such reasons.

By the way Morphine, I've been following your engine rebuild. Thanks for posting it online. I'm going to have to do my 3.slow one day and it helps to see somebody elses experineces. I may P.M. you for the machine shop you used!

Last edited by Steveh29; 06-20-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:36 PM

Morph,

I know for a fact that is you pinch a plug wire between your thumb and fore finger while running you can let out one $%^&* of a whoo hooo, and yes all whom see and hear will be lol at your expense. Check to make sure that both ends of the wire are seated and that there are no nicks in wire the insulation. I have learned to avoid contact with the plug wires and coil while the enginge is running.......
In support of your BRO.....I can see the picture in my minds and I am lol.....
Of course you need more spark...it will help....especially if you are planning on staying in the circuit....you have to make up for what you are taking away fromthe system.....I ordered the Jacobs Kit from Summit Racing online part number JAC-372546...It has not been shipped yet so I can not tell you how well it works but I found a thread in here somewhere that had some dyno run charts on the before and after. That was all I needed to convince me that the Jacobs was the one I wanted....
Old 06-20-2005, 10:18 PM

I'm OK

Thanks for all of the input guys. My right arm still tingles now that I'm home from work but at least the burnt electrical smell that was coming from my hands is gone. And oh yeah, the truck is running GGGGREATTT after I adjusted the idle.

Steveh29 - PM any time. Stop by and have a drink or what not. The machine shop was in Yucaipa. Star Auto parts. If you'd like there contact info let mew know.

Dragon564 - I think I'll stay out of the circuit. It wasn't so much the shock as it was me falling out of the engine bay to the concrete that hurt. I'll check Summit, thanks for the idea.

-=Morphine=-
or as I'm known at work after hearing this story "Surge".