Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question electrical problem?

Well, the problem is electrical... I just can't figure where it is. On occasion, I'll try to start the truck(91 V6 MT), and it won't start. Sometimes I'll have absolutely no power(except for my stereo cause it's hardwired), and sometimes I'll have power, but just clicks when I turn the key. Jumping it won't start it. I have to disconnect the battery for about 5 seconds. After I reconnect, it starts right up. Are there any known problems, or am I gonna be shooting in the dark? I've already rewired my whole stereo, and taken out all the old wiring for the offroad lights.

Thanks,
Logan
Old 04-29-2003, 07:40 PM

You might have an open in your battery. The post can break loose inside and reconnect, then open, then reconnect. Try a different battery if you have one handy.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:03 PM

already tried....

I just swapped batteries the other night. So that is not it. I went from a regular Interstate to my Optima Yellow Top(Deep Cycle spiral cell gell battery). Battery has tons of juice. And actually, when I disconnect, I'm not touching the post. I've got a marine style connector. It is a clamp, with a screw and wingnut. All I'm doing to disconnect is pull the wires off of the screw.

Argg.... Very irritating. I wish this would happen at home when I have a chance to play with my multimeter. Then I could POSSIBLY find the problem.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:17 PM

jumping it wont start it? I should have read that closer. Its either your starter solenoid, or where the positive connects to the starter. Or the ignition trigger wire that triggers the solenoid to close. I would crawl under the truck and pull off the wires connecting to the starter and see if they are corroded.Clean em up. Intermittent problems are frustrating. I would clean all connections first and see if that solves the problem.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just so you know you're not alone, my GF's Chevy C1500 has the exact same symptoms. We haven't tried disconnecting the battery to "reset' the condition, but have found that if we just keep trying it, it will eventually start.

We've replaced the starter and solenoid, and replaced the battery but neither helped.

It's interesting that symptoms like this can exists "cross-platform".

Mark
Old 04-30-2003, 09:07 AM

One thing that can happen is the cable from the battery to the starter can corrode on the inside. They dont solder the terminal end on the cable they press the end on. Corrosion can accumulate inside at the terminal end. I was having the same problems with my diesel. I made up my own cables using 1 guage welding cable and soldered all the terminal ends. I dont think you can buy cables with soldered ends and if you could i wouldnt want to know how much they would be. Welding cable is relatively cheap and you can custom make your own cables to length. That solved my intermittent problems completely. Just because a cable or wire looks good doesnt mean it is. And testing a cable with a meter wont give you the right reading since its an intermittent problem. Just throwin that out there and hopefully it will help someone out. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:26 PM

zedex... gotta question...

Do you own a nissan 300zx? Just out of curiosity...

I've got a 300ZX and I'm on a few Z boards... and one of my friends is too. His username is Zedx.... and guess where he's from...... You guessed it. B.C. He's in the Richmond area. Anyways, just thought it was pretty interesting.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:03 PM

Nope onetricktoy. zx as in kawasaki zx1100 ninja. Im in Penticton B.C. Richmond is a nice place. Spent a few months there courtesy of WCB.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

MY 85' Celica did the same thing (22RE). I tried batteries and starters, a new key switch, and it still wouldn't start occaisionally. Luckily is was light, and a 5 sp, so I could just push it.

Anyway, I wired a relay to pass 12V from the battery directly to the small wire on the starter solenoid. For the relay power, the + side came from when the ignition was on, and the ground came when I pushed on the momentary push button switch from Radio Shack I intalled under the steering column. So, you had to have the key in and turned, or the switch wouldn't do anything.

Anyway, from then on, whenever it wouldn't start the normal way, I just bumped the button under the wheel, and it always fired up.

Looking back, I think it was an intermittent starter relay, but I wasn't as experienced back then, but...it did work like a champ.