Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Electrical O/D in and out

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical O/D in and out

Hey, so my truck has some small liveable electrical problems but now one has surfaced I cannot live with and it involves the O/D.

I have had some problems recent, anything that uses electric makes the temp gauge go up and when you're done, goes to normal. Even the throttle you press it, the needle goes up, at a stop, it goes down. Roll a window down, needle moves. All are livable since I know my cooling system is actually working I've given it all a check over. Coolant is green as ever!

But now this! The trans can't/won't stay in O/D, and I can't force it out! Push the button, the light comes on, it won't kick it out or allow it in. It just lights up. I disconnected the shift silonoid (next to the shifter under all the plastic) and still does it, shifts in and out of O/D. I noticed that the higher the temp needle the more problems happen. If it gets too high the tac starts cutting in and out. I drove with the lights on and it stayed in 3rd, sometimes hit 4th but would quickly go back to 3rd.

Anyone have any ideas?! I'm about to go to a shop to figure this out. I have some videos of what I'm talking about
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1fkiwmggnm3yehe/Hri1-G6JGU

I know driving and using a cell phone is bad :/
Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your temperature gauge is effected by increasing your electrical load all I can say is quite interesting.

Are you running an electric fan or the stock fan??

I can only think your charging system is not putting out enough could be alternator could be the connections might be the wiring then your battery is getting tired so is unable to supply enough voltage.

This is causing the OD to do what it is doing.

So your minor electrical problem is now major!!
Old 09-01-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Suspect faulty alternator.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If your temperature gauge is effected by increasing your electrical load all I can say is quite interesting.

Are you running an electric fan or the stock fan??

I can only think your charging system is not putting out enough could be alternator could be the connections might be the wiring then your battery is getting tired so is unable to supply enough voltage.

This is causing the OD to do what it is doing.

So your minor electrical problem is now major!!
It's the stock fan. I thought about the main electrical but haven't been 100% sure. I did pull the battery cable from the battery thus using the alternator only. While the cable was pulled I went and used a power window, same thing. So, maybe the alt?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Suspect faulty alternator.
That has come to mind. I will get it checked out! It's years old, AZ heat and all wouldn't surprise me. The shop up the street rebuilds them and he does quality work. Can't remember when I took it in last time but it was ages ago. I'll test the alt out and see if that's my issue. I hope it is, it's not hard to replace.