Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Electric Fan Indicators

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Electric Fan Indicators

Well as some of you here know, I started (and finished) a Taurus fan mod on my Gen 3. Everything is working gr8 and I even installed some LED indicators for the two speeds. Everything is gr8 now and I have finished up my write up on the fan install as well. Check it out here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...runner-149071/.

I did end up with a rather interesting side bar in the install ... I had to wire this up a particular way to get the proper indications of the LO speed when it was operating the fan so now the LO fan speed indicator operates just as it should, but I found out that the LO speed indicator operates when ever the fan operates even if its the HI speed! Also the LO speed indicator doesn't just turn off, it fades out. Took me a bit to figure out but I remembered that a DC motor can also be a DC generator!

I had to route a pick up wire after the relay so the indicator would come on only when the LO speed fan is actually running. Other wise any other attempt to indicate the fan operating didn't work. Figured out the issue this morning on the drive into work. The LO speed came on and I got the indication, but when it turned off the indicator never totally went out. I was driving along at about 60 miles per hour and I noted the indicator was at about 1/2 brightness. Then the light bulb in my head came on! The fan was free-wheeling! Generating a feedback voltage enough for the LED to pick up.
Go figure ... Anyway, here is the pic of the dash. More when I finish up the write up.

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 07-09-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
man, when are you going to install the phaser banks and photon torpedo launchers on that thing? looks like a real cockpit in there, nice job!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what is that switch below the Hella switch Ritz?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Great indicators! I put and LED on my blackmagic fan for when it runs and noticed that it'll stay half lit and fade out. Figured it was free wheeling as well. Can't wait to see the write up!
Old 07-08-2008, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
man, when are you going to install the phaser banks and photon torpedo launchers on that thing? looks like a real cockpit in there, nice job!
Thanks guy's and the "weapons system" won't be installed till Tuesday and then only if the appropiations bill passes the House Finance Committee! LOL

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
what is that switch below the Hella switch Ritz?
Ron, the switch is for my dash light control, intensity and color select. My gauge cluster mod uses a selector/dimmer control. I have tried to figure out a way to disassemble it so that I could mount it in the actual dash cover but could not seem to figure out how to take it apart so instead of destroying it, I just mounted it in the cutout. Not my first choice but I hope to some day nuke it out and then install it as part of the dash. When I did the install (see my write up here:https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/r...en-3-a-120466/) I just tucked it up insdie the dash. Only problem was I could not access the switches to adjust it. I am always open to suggestions
Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could you have added a diode instead of running a new wire? Just a thought.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Adam F
Could you have added a diode instead of running a new wire? Just a thought.
I will assume you are referring to the wire I had to run to get the low speed fan indication? In this case no as the the way the circuit is laid out, I had to get a pick off point downstream of the relay. At the switch there is a constant 12 vdc so with the other end of the LED connected to ground as soon as the switch is in the LO position the LED would light not with standing the operation of the fan. This works for the HI speed as it is a manually operated fan speed so when the contact is switched to the HI position it completes the circuit to the relay to energize the fan in HI speed and conversely provides 12 vdc for the LED. The HI speed indicator is more for the fact the switch is in that position. As for the LO position it would have been the same situtation, when the switch is placed in LO the LED would light. I only need it to be on when the fan is running.