Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

EGR and Air valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Ava

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR and Air valve

I'm having problems with my rig. I suspect an air leak in the intake system since I not getting much of a response when I depress the accellerator other than full kick-down.

When I screw the idle adjustment screw (V6) all the way down with the engine at normal operating temperature the engine dies. The air valve regulates if air runs past this screw or not. The haynes manul speaks of an coolant temp controlled air valve, but for the life of me, I cannot locate the damn thing.

I also suspect the EGR system of malfunctioning.
A. The vacuum tubing doesn't seem routed right, but the Haunes manual isn't precise about these things. For instance, the letters on the EGR modulator don't correspond with the letters on the throttle housing on my rig
B: Much to my supprise, I find that the EGR tube that sticks into the air intake chamber to be welded shut! After taking a carefull look at the drawing in the Haynes manual I must conclude that this is the normal situation, and isn't welded shut by the previous owner.

My questions:
1. Is there a good description somewhere so that I can check what vacuum line goes where?
2. What is the use of a closed tube that's supposed to deliver exhaust gasses into the intake system?
Old 04-25-2003, 07:32 AM
CTB

Re: EGR and Air valve

Originally posted by Ava
2. What is the use of a closed tube that's supposed to deliver exhaust gasses into the intake system?
I think it is to help with emissions by helping to have more complete burning/combustion. This may be way off, but hopefully not too far...
Old 04-26-2003, 08:33 AM
Ava

Re: Re: EGR and Air valve

Originally posted by CTB
I think it is to help with emissions by helping to have more complete burning/combustion. This may be way off, but hopefully not too far...
With a "closed tube"? How does that work?

Ava.

Last edited by Ava; 04-26-2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Ava

I've found something wrong that probably has been wrong for years. The Throttle Position Sensor has never been opened or adjusted, proven by the yellow stuff still being on the screws.

The EFI system never knew when the car was idling and somebody opened the Idle Speed Adjustment Screw to three full turns to compensate. Perhaps the same guy that welded the EGR shut? I still think that the EGR pipe is closed at the factory since on the drawing in the Haynes manual the end of the pipe is somewhat larger in diameter. Considering the fine detail in the rest of the picture I don't think that the artist made an error, and there is a domed cap welded on the end of this pipe.

There must still be another problem with the engine since in the time I own this car I has run fine from time to time. The sensor must have been the way I found it all this time.

Anyone standing here with the EGR pipe drawn from the intake chamber in his hand? Is this a open or closed piece of pipe?

Ava.