95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

EEk! Where did all my oil go!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EEk! Where did all my oil go!?!

Hey all,

I changed my oil today and I noticed only about 1.5 quarts drained out. I'm pretty sure all of it came out because when I put in the 4.8 quarts required, the oil was right at the max mark on my dip stick. After the oil change, I revved the engine to about 3000 rpms a few times and, after getting out, I noticed that I had a small (about a "3 dia) puddle below my exhaust pipe. It looked like oil. Funny thing is, it looked like old dark oil that had dripped out and not the new oil. Seems kinda weird. I've never noticed this before. :cry:

I do have some small leaks and there is some oil on the bottom of the oil pan. I'm pretty sure oil is leaking from where the tranny and engine bolt up. Nothing is leaking to point of leaving spots on the driveway, and there isn't any smoke coming out of the tail pipe. So, where is all my oil going? Any ideas?

My oil pressure was really low (very rarely got beyond the 1st hash mark), but it is about half way on the gauge now that I have done the oil change. Last oil change was done about 4k ago and 4runner has 172k on it.

One thing I noticed--before I put in a new knock sensor, my oil pressure was pretty good (about half way on the gauge). Ever since I replaced the sensor the oil pressure was low (as described above). Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but thought I'd mention it.

Ok I'll stop. Sorry for going on so long. Just kinda worried about my baby. :cry: Any ideas?

Have fun all,
DH6twinotter
Old 01-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you ever had a problem of burning oil? what color is your exhaust fumes? just a thought? i'd check your oil level once a week too moniter it a little closer
Old 01-31-2004, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by EWAYota
have you ever had a problem of burning oil? what color is your exhaust fumes? just a thought? i'd check your oil level once a week too moniter it a little closer
Thanks for the response! I've never noticed any burning oil problems, but I'll definately keep a much close eye on it. I don't really have any exhuast fumes except for when I first start it up in the mornings. It's white, but I think that is normal for vehicles in this colder weather, isn't it? It goes away once I drive for about 5 minutes.

One other thing I forgot to mention. I have some pinging problems that I'm still trying to figure out, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks again.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

How is your head gasket?
Loosing any coolant as well?
Any white, sweet-smeling smoke?
Got a slight miss, around 3000 rpm?

If I had to guess, and I hate to bear bad news, I'd say head gasket.

symptoms are similar to what I just went through.
If it is, check your VIN...you may be getting some nice warranty work. I did. Otherwise, you're looking at $$$$
Old 01-31-2004, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Blair
How is your head gasket?
Loosing any coolant as well?
Any white, sweet-smeling smoke?
Got a slight miss, around 3000 rpm?

If I had to guess, and I hate to bear bad news, I'd say head gasket.

symptoms are similar to what I just went through.
If it is, check your VIN...you may be getting some nice warranty work. I did. Otherwise, you're looking at $$$$
Thanks for the reply.

I am loosing a slight amount of coolant. Not much though. Once the level in the overflow tank gets about a 1/4 inch below the min mark, it stops loosing coolant. One of my heater hoses has a small leak in it, so I'm pretty sure that is what is causing that. (hopefully)

The only white smoke is the smoke I have during start up. Doesn't really seem to have a smell to it. I do have some sort of liquid spraying out of my tail pipe, but I see this on cars all the time (condensation or unburnt fuel or something I think).

No miss at 3000 rpms.

The head gaskets were replaced by the previous owner about 40k ago. I've checked my VIN number with Toyota allready, and my 4Runner is not covered on their recall. :cry:

If It is headgaskets, I think I would end up doing an engine swap. 7mgte would be nice.

Well, thanks again.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-31-2004, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Well, the liquid from the exhaust can occur due to condensation, so all may be good. Maybe try to collect it in a jar, to get an idea of volume and make up.

Good call on the engine swap. I really should have done that a few months back, rather than the donor 3.0 I put in. I may have gone 3.4, but mine is a daily driver, and I needed to be mobile by the next Monday, so it was a donor 3.0, done in two days.

Hope it's not the HG...it's painfully expensive and VERY time consuming. My Runner has been at the Dealer for a total of 18 days this month. First new HG lasted 1 day. Took it back and told them (!?!?!) to check for warp this time. Thankfully, the Dealer gave me a nice '04 Camry rental, which has cost them about $1000 including mileage so far. Add two new HG sets, 30 hours labour...and the short block if my problems continue. Thank you Yotatech, for making me aware of the service campaign! Otherwise, I'd be looking at about $5000, all in.