Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ECM Problem; Relates to Transponder Keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ECM Problem; Relates to Transponder Keys

I'm hoping for a little help with a problem I'm having with my 4Runner. I apologize if this is a little long winded, I'll try to keep it short.

Vehicle: 1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Issue: Unable to program transponder keys using either the manual procedure or Toyota's computer programming interface.

The story: I've owned my 4Runner for about 5 years now. When I first bought it, I was given one key (with a black head, presumably a master key) and two FOBs. The first thing I did was to make an additional master key; the transponder key was purchased on eBay, cut by a local locksmith, and I programmed it using the manual procedure (press accelerator X times, press break X times, etc, etc). The new key worked great for a few years, until I lost it a few months ago. I picked up two new transponder keys on eBay, had them cut, and tried to program the new keys. After many, many failed attempts, I figured I had reached the maximum number of keys that could be programmed for the vehicle. I tried the manual procedure to erase all but one key from the computer, but this failed time after time. I finally gave up and took the vehicle and keys to my local dealership to have them program the keys. After an hour, the Toyota technician informed me that he was unable to get his computer to connect to my 4Runner's computer, therefore he couldn't program the keys. My only option, according to the dealership, was to replace the ECM.

Ok, so that is the general sequence of events. Here's some additional information that may be pertinent.
-About 6 months ago, after I lost my spare key but before I ordered new ones, I started the 4Runner and noticed the stereo would not turn on. There was a light sulfur smell in the cabin immediately after starting the vehicle. I checked every fuse in the vehicle twice but none had been tripped. I removed the stereo and factory stereo amp. I put a multi-meter up to the constant 12v and ignition-controlled 12v inputs to the amp; I got voltage on the constant 12v line, but never got power on the ignition-controlled 12v wire (even with the key in and turned to the "ON" position). I have no idea if this has anything to do with my key issue, but figure it couldn't hurt to tell you about it. Please note that I never did find out why I'm not getting power on the ignition-controlled wire.
-I must assume that because I was able to program one new key from the original key, the original key is a master. However, when I insert the key into the ignition, the security light turns on for 1-2 seconds, then goes off and stays off until the key is removed. To my understanding, this indicates the key is a valet, not a master key. The key is cut as a master, though, as I can lock and unlock the glove box with it.

I'm not sure what to do next... at the moment, my goal is to obtain at least one spare key to the vehicle via any means possible, preferably via the cheapest method possible. Anyone care to offer any suggestions? I'll gladly post additional information if requested...
Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The plot thickens...

Since my original post, I've noticed that the climate control unit will not maintain its settings (this unit is the one with a screen and will maintain a program temperature). In the past, the unit would remember the last temp it was set at, if the A/C was on or off, etc. This is no longer the case... about 80% of the time, the unit will reset the 72F with auto climate control enabled with the A/C on. The other 20% of the time some of the settings will be retained, such as the temperature. There is a short delay, about 5 seconds, after I start the car before the unit will accept any input (for example, I cannot turn off the A/C or change the temp). I can only assume that either (1) the device that retains the settings is losing power, or (2) if the ECM retains the settings, this may be additional proof the ECM if toast.

I feel my best option may be to send my ECM to someone to repair it and reprogram my keys. Hopefully this will alleviate some other odd issues I've noticed, such as the climate control issue. Does anyone know of a reputable company or person who can repair an ECM? Any other suggestions?