Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Easiest way to remove fuel pump 96 taco

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easiest way to remove fuel pump 96 taco

I am going to be removing the fuel pump on my 96 taco to inspect the hot wire that runs from the connecter plug to the fuel pump itself. I have another post on here about my starting issues. Basically, i replaced faulty fuel injector and i have starting issues(had them before injector replace, but figured it was directly related). Cold start fires up no problem. Will restart all day if restarted immediately after turning engine off. However if i wait 5 minutes or so it will require alot of cranking to get started.

According to this post http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.ph...ight=hot+start

Guy fixed his starting problems (identical to mine) by pulling the fuel pump and finding an obviously stressed out wire that runs from the connecter to the pump.

Basically it was a bad fuel pump jumper wire (from the tank connector to the actual pump), the wire was burned black, had gotten hot enough the plastic connector fell apart when we took it out, wire looked horrible (and yes this is INSIDE the tank, not a good place for a hot wire)...we spliced in a new wire, soldered connections, used a normal blade style electrical connector on the positive side of the pump (which held on about 10 times as hard as the factory one would), buttoned it all back up, and voila, works perfect...the pump might have been ok, but we replaced that too while in there, but the obvious problem was the wiring, we have the wire to take a pic of (as soon as we find it in the toolbox)...

Now fuel pressure is 42psi ALL the time (like it should be)...

Hope this thread helps someone in the future...
So i will be pulling the pump out and seeing if i have the same thing going on. A leaky injector isn't a suspect for me at this point, because if it were leaking, it would have a hard time starting cold also, correct? Or i would have some black smoke upon startup? I never have black smoke out the tailpipe, which is what i've read to be the telltale sign of this.

Now, removing the pump can be done by dropping the tank, but i hear that the truck bed can be unbolted on one side and propped up, providing access to the tank. Has anyone had experience doing this? Its only 4/6 bolts if i'm not mistaken. I have approximately half tank of fuel, and dont want to drain it, so is removing the bed a viable alternative?

I appreciate any suggestions very much. The yotatech forums have been absolutely invaluable in my conquest of getting my truck running like a top. Once, i would have never imagined doing the timing belt/water pump on my own, but i'm actually looking forward to performing this maintenance on my own!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 PM

hi,
please do take pics..it will be a great help for us..
thanks and goodluck!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my opinion, pull the bed off. You can have that done before you would get all the gas siphoned out.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 PM

6 bolts. Take the front 4 completely out, loosen the back two, unbolt the filler neck from the bed, use a high lift jack under the front corner support and pick it up like a dump bed, then you have full access to the top pf the tank, way easier than dropping the tank imo.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 AM

^
Yep that's what I did, easy.