Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Eagle Alloy 16's, don't fit, is this everyones same problem?

Old 02-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eagle Alloy 16's, don't fit, is this everyones same problem?

What to look for to determine what 16" rims DO NOT fit your 16" stock setup

Ok, so I didn't buy them, but I drove about 400 miles to get a set of wheels, and thankfully, tested them in parking lot, no work, they rub, ever so barely on calipers. Is this the same area of interference that everyone has? I assumed it was always a 15/16" dia issue, not this.

The deal was for a set of 4 eagle alloy somethings with 275-70-16 (w/e stock size on an LC is) for $200, they were about 3years old, but in great condition with decent tread that I could use in interim, so I'm really bummed that they didn't work.

If this is the issue that anyone ever has with 16" rims on 16" calipers, then this should serve as what to look for when buying/ordering rims.

I realize these illustrations are pretty spectacular, and they in no way represent actual rim shape, except for general relations of concerned areas

white/teal is rims outline
red is caliper
purple is brake disc

one on left is sorta generalization of an LC or stock wheel, back view
one on right is of ones I wanted, eagle alloy somethings, the problem area is the diameter of the surface that mounts up to the rotor... it is/was bigger and hits the caliper...

please give input if you have bought/tried wheels and had this issue, or have definite, preferably 1st hand experience
Old 02-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

I had the same problem when I put the Weld Stonecrushers on my 2006 Tacoma from my 2003. Fit fine on my 03 but rubbed ever so lightly on the caliper face of my 06. I'm kind of embarassed to admit it, but it was so close that I just used a die grinder and took a little off the face of the caliper.

Sucks that you had to drive all that way, but on a positive note, good thing you checked...
Old 02-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
good to know i plan on getting new wheels hope they work
Old 02-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by wjwerdna
What to look for to determine what 16" rims DO NOT fit your 16" stock setup

Ok, so I didn't buy them, but I drove about 400 miles to get a set of wheels, and thankfully, tested them in parking lot, no work, they rub, ever so barely on calipers. Is this the same area of interference that everyone has? I assumed it was always a 15/16" dia issue, not this.

The deal was for a set of 4 eagle alloy somethings with 275-70-16 (w/e stock size on an LC is) for $200, they were about 3years old, but in great condition with decent tread that I could use in interim, so I'm really bummed that they didn't work.

If this is the issue that anyone ever has with 16" rims on 16" calipers, then this should serve as what to look for when buying/ordering rims.

I realize these illustrations are pretty spectacular, and they in no way represent actual rim shape, except for general relations of concerned areas

white/teal is rims outline
red is caliper
purple is brake disc

one on left is sorta generalization of an LC or stock wheel, back view
one on right is of ones I wanted, eagle alloy somethings, the problem area is the diameter of the surface that mounts up to the rotor... it is/was bigger and hits the caliper...

please give input if you have bought/tried wheels and had this issue, or have definite, preferably 1st hand experience

Time to get out the grinder....

the problem is not the 16" portion, its the backspacing. Could you order a set with the correct backspacing?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:25 AM

Had the same problem. I am actually running these rims and had to use a 3mm backspacer. I even upgraded to the tundra brake setup and these rims are still working for me.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, looking back on weekend, I guess I could have gotten the grinder out, oh well, crap, they were a great deal with free tires

the backspacing isnt a problem, the "spokes" didnt rub on the face, the surface that mounts against the rotor was just bigger in diameter than it needed to be, sure I could order any wheel I ever wanted, but this issue I dont think is related to backspacing (which was 4" i think), more so the actual design of the wheel. So it would be a case-by-case, per-model problem...

wow, more thinking, I really should have ground them down , oh well, here I come LandCruiser wheels

(looking at back of stock rim and of these, there was a noticeable difference in design)

Last edited by wjwerdna; 02-26-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Time to get out the grinder....
That's probably what I would have done if you were only off by 1-2mm.