Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

E-locker rebuild.... troubles....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-locker rebuild.... troubles....

Well... I finally spent some time tonight on my non working Elocker... the problem is 100% the actuator....

I took it all apart and found nothing but rust and all kinds of good stuff.... one of the perm magnets in the motor cap had come un glued too....

I cleaned it all up.... greased it all up... and got it all working again.... it worked for a few times and quit again.... think the magnet may have come unglued again.... will have to pull it all apart again this week and re inspect.....

Is that motor cap a separate component??? or can I only get that as part of the whole actuator??? anyone know???

Bob
Old 04-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, it's a pretty common issue though.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you need to buy the whole actuator.

Make sure to use epoxy to glue the magnet and leave it for a day to fully cure.
When you reinstall it, be sure to silicone it all in to prevent that from happening again.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

I used JB weld... My wife needed the truck so it only had 5 hours to cure... I am almost positive that it has moved... I will pull it back apart soon

The actuator was $1100 canadian when I looked into it... I figure another hour or two and I should have ti working slick... For $1100 I will spend MANY more hours
Old 04-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

As far as I know you can only get the motor cap if you buy a new vehicle. It is not listed in the Dealer Parts Program and it does not come with a replacement unit.

Looks like an over looked part. Way back in 2000 there were always guys looking for them on 4X4Wire.

Maybe they sell it now, I don't know.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Bob
I used JB weld... My wife needed the truck so it only had 5 hours to cure... I am almost positive that it has moved... I will pull it back apart soon

The actuator was $1100 canadian when I looked into it... I figure another hour or two and I should have ti working slick... For $1100 I will spend MANY more hours
Let us know how you finally do fix it (post some pics if you can).
I think epoxy might actually work better but the JB weld is going to be a mess to clean up and redo.

Not sure if you ever saw this thread but it might help:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/e-locker-wont-engage-25217/

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 04-10-2006 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Pro truck and van in abby has some elocker around usually. About $600 for the diff including a motor.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

I will cable lock it before I spend even $600, but thanks for the heads up
Old 04-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Well... I took the actuator back out tonight... took the cap off expecting to see the magnet to have slid over...

WRONG!!

The one I JB welded was rock solid, but the other 3 had now become un glued.... So, I made a very fancy allignment tool for my magnets, JB welded the other 3, and am letting it sit overnight... I guess I will find out tomorrow....

MTL 4Runner... I was helping my buddy with a 1991 K5 Blazer swap from TBI to TPI... I was not being used for moments at a time so used my Elocker rebuild as filler... I didnt have my camera with me to document my adverture as I was honestly not expecting to be doing it....

I will throw this out as an offer though... If there is anybody out there that has an actuator that will not work and is willing to ship it to me, and pay for its shipping back ( and maybe a 6 pack for me ) I will open it up, show with pics step by step and get it working ( assuming the actuator is repairable) .... I would prefer within canada since it is easier for me, but I will open this to anyone.... Also.... there is a very special re-install procedure on these... if you doint put it back in right, they will jam up and fail....

cheers
Bob
Old 04-11-2006, 04:09 AM
Contributing Member

Well... I took the actuator back out tonight... took the cap off expecting to see the magnet to have slid over...

WRONG!!

The one I JB welded was rock solid, but the other 3 had now become un glued.... So, I made a very fancy allignment tool for my magnets, JB welded the other 3, and am letting it sit overnight... I guess I will find out tomorrow....

MTL 4Runner... I was helping my buddy with a 1991 K5 Blazer swap from TBI to TPI... I was not being used for moments at a time so used my Elocker rebuild as filler... I didnt have my camera with me to document my adverture as I was honestly not expecting to be doing it....

I will throw this out as an offer though... If there is anybody out there that has an actuator that will not work and is willing to ship it to me, and pay for its shipping back ( and maybe a 6 pack for me ) I will open it up, show with pics step by step and get it working ( assuming the actuator is repairable) .... I would prefer within canada since it is easier for me, but I will open this to anyone.... Also.... there is a very special re-install procedure on these... if you doint put it back in right, they will jam up and fail....

cheers
Bob

I think I need a locker first before I take you up on that offer.
......although my curiousity would probably have me doing it myself.

The pics were more for the benefit of others who run into a similar situation.

All said and done, that is very good info to know, that JB weld does work to repair the permanent magnets on those actuators.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Jamie... JB weld held a magnet long enough to pull the other 3 off... I will still not confirm that it will hold for long term....

You seem knowledgeable enough to do this too, so this offer more applies to those who are not mechanically inclined.... those people who do the things that I will never be able to do

I understand why you suggested pic... weather I have them or not I will a bit of a write up to let you all know...

Cheers
Bob