Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dual Remote Filter Location? - New to Yota

Old 06-28-2004, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Remote Filter Location? - New to Yota

Hello!

This is my first posting! I searched the web and the site as much as I could and even checked out a few other forums, but to no avail. I am trying to find a location in the engine bay of a Tacoma for an Amsoil Dual Remote filter (BMK-13). Has anyone else done this? Where is the best place to locate it and does it need any fabrication?

Thanks, any help is appreciated!!
Old 06-28-2004, 04:45 PM

When I had mine on the truck I had it mounted under the driver's seat on the inside of the frame rail. I took it off once I started off roading.

I have been looking at reinstalling it and I think it will fit below the battery mounted paralell to the radiator.

Gadget
Old 06-28-2004, 04:51 PM

I will make some measurements and see if I can get it to fit behind the radiator parallel, but it would be a tight squeeze front to back.

Do you think that it would be eaisier to make some kind of guard or plate to protect the filters/lines and then mount it under the driver seat along the frame like you had previously done? I will have to look and see how much room is under there to work with.

Thanks for the Pictures. If anyone else has any suggestions...
Old 06-28-2004, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Is there a clear, longterm, advantage to the dual filters? Amsoil filters are awfully good by themselves. I'm interested in what you two decide to do because I'm looking at keeping this runner for a LONG time.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:45 PM

That filter mount has the ability to run two differnet types of filters. A standard type full flow filter. It allows you to run a very large oversized filter. This is super unrestrictive and has a tremedous capacity. I used the largest spin on filter AMSOIL makes. It was like you see on the big Diesel truck engines.

The other filter is a super fine filtration BYPASS filter. That means not all the oil flowing to the engine goes through it. Most of the oil BYPASSes the filter and only a small amount goes through it. This is because it is very restrictive because it filters down to to like .3 of a micron. There is no other automotive filter on the market that has this degree of filtration.

The advantage is that you pretty much remove ALL of the stuff from the oil that could cause wear. When you combine the worlds best motor oil with the worlds best filtration you can like completely arrest the engine wear and that thing will last for ever.

It also added 3 additional quarts of oil capacity to the total volume. So I went from 6 to 9 quarts capacity. I ran everything for a full year between changes with about 18,000 miles on it and I could pull the dip stick and ask people to guess how long the oil had been in the engine. I would hear people say a couple of days to a week. They were always amazed when would say, "nope, about a year and 17,000 miles ago I changed it". It always caused jaws to drop every single time.

So, there you have it.

Gadget
Old 06-28-2004, 08:56 PM

you beat me to it, jsc0. i came here today to search/post for that very same topic.

the only thing i would add to gadget's superlative explanation, 4RunnerFever, is that the filter(s) can be mounted remotely, ie anywhere you can fit them, even from your rearview mirror if u want - the advantage is not having to struggle to get to your filter(s) for change-outs. that, for me is the crux of the biscuit, since i dont necesarily plan to keep my ride forever.

I'm thinking gadgets original location would be a good one with the proper fab'ed guard. i was also wondering about just up inside the skid plate. that way, no fab'ing required, and you have the advantage to browse over the lower half of your engine every six months... i don't know if they will fit there tho.

anyone else with experience?..
Old 06-28-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking of mounting mine right under the driver's seat but I want to get a new bracket fabbed up so that I can mount it at the proper angle. So far the costs to do it are keeping me from installing it at this time.......
Old 06-28-2004, 11:54 PM

Does anyone have one of these installed on their truck? I'd like to see or at least know how it mounts to the block. Does it just screw right in where the oil filter is suppose to go?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:04 AM

Sorry, I found the answer with alittle more reading on the Amsoil site. I'm going to invest in one of these for my engine rebuild. Would it be wise to use this during break in periods? I was thinking that it would filter out all of the crap that you normally encounter after a rebuild, but I'm not sure if it will allow proper break in.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:51 AM
Contributing Member

Once again, Gadget, you've offered a great explanation. I always learn so much from you. I think you original location might also work good for me as I don't do any 'extreme' off roading. It shouldn't be too hard to fab a small protection plate either.

bktaco - thanks for your insights as well. Yotatech rocks!

Last edited by 4RunnerFever; 06-29-2004 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:47 AM

i'll beg to differ with the statement that you made Gadget
There is no other automotive filter on the market that has this degree of filtration.
i have bypass filters that filter down to .01 micron, yeah i know its petty but hey... i'm an instigator.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by instigator
i'll beg to differ with the statement that you made Gadget i have bypass filters that filter down to .01 micron, yeah i know its petty but hey... i'm an instigator.
OMG, let's not go down this rat hole!

I've been looking into this for some time also and can't seem to convince myself that I have a place safe enough and close enough to the engine to make the investment. Open to ideas!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:31 AM

hey,hey ,hey i'm just joshing ole gadget theres no jabing here

if your looking for some answers about bypass filtration go here scroll down to the bypss section and read away
Old 06-29-2004, 07:33 AM

also i mounted my filter assy on the tranny crossmember(i should have pics of it somewhere on the web )
Old 06-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

How much does this Amsoil Dual filter thing run? I want to get an oil filter relocater but this looks like it will work better and add more capacity with the dual filters. Would I need to make up my own oil lines or does it come with the lines already?
Thanks
Old 06-29-2004, 01:06 PM

You can click here:

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=511998&page=store

And check the current price which ever remote mount system you want and then fill out the order to see what the total cost including shipping is. Then you can decide if you want to complete the order or not.

I do have a tip for you. The mounts are expensive, but you will find the quality second to none. You may want to sign yourself up as a prefered customer or a dealer yourself which only costs you $10. Then you will pay the same price dealers pay for it. That is the very best hook up I can do for you.

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=511998&page=pref

Dealer info:

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=511998&page=info

Gadget
Old 06-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget
You can click here:

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=511998&page=store

And check the current price which ever remote mount system you want and then fill out the order to see what the total cost including shipping is. Then you can decide if you want to complete the order or not.

I do have a tip for you. The mounts are expensive, but you will find the quality second to none. You may want to sign yourself up as a prefered customer or a dealer yourself which only costs you $10. Then you will pay the same price dealers pay for it. That is the very best hook up I can do for you.

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=511998&page=pref

Dealer info:

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=511998&page=info

Gadget
Thanks for the info Gadget. I'll look into the dealer thing.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:57 PM

Does anyone on here have a dealers membership already? I'd gladly pay them $10 over the cost for one of these when I end up buying one.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Gadget is a dealer and you can order through his website. www.gadgetonline.com