Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dual Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dual Batteries

Ok, I know dual batteries have been discussed here a thousand times. I've been searching all night but not really finding what I need. I'm planning on running another battery along with my Everstart Maxx from WalMart. The extra battery is probably going to be an Optima Marine.

I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to wire it up also. I'll probably order an isolator kit or make up my own. Basically, the kit will allow me to run the batteries at the same time, seperately, or to let the secondary boost the primary in the event that the primary ever dies. This is all provided I can find a place to mount the extra battery and keep it out of the way.

Now what's really stumping me is what I'm going to do about the alternator. The way I'm going to run the isolator is off of the main battery, instead of off the alternator, then to the secondary. I'm worried that my alternator isn't going to be up to the task of charging both batteries. I do have the 140 amp alt from Mr. Alternator, but I haven't successfully found a way to upgrade the charging wires from the alt. I ran a 8 guage wire parallel from the charging post to the battery with no luck. WATRD, however, successfully did this on his rig... a Tacoma.

So, what I need to know is, will my alternator be up to the task of charging 2 batteries or do I need to figure out how to upgrade the wires first? If not, I probably still will later... but I'd like to start running the dual batteries now.

Edit: Here's a site that I've been looking at for the isolator kit: Wrangler NW

Last edited by Churnd; 10-01-2003 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my biggest concern with using the stock alternator wires would be that they would be too thin. you need a lower guage (thicker wire) if you plan on having the alternator change more.

just my $.02
Old 10-02-2003, 03:13 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Best Thread I Read

This is the best thread that I have read so don't grab both poles on the battery or you might wind up dead! It's way too early in the morning to have to be awake!

If Baja Taco doesn't chime in, I'd PM him and check out his recent thread on a SWEET dual battery setup.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...dual+batteries

Brian
Old 10-02-2003, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Thread I Read

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
This is the best thread that I have read so don't grab both poles on the battery or you might wind up dead! It's way too early in the morning to have to be awake!

If Baja Taco doesn't chime in, I'd PM him and check out his recent thread on a SWEET dual battery setup.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...dual+batteries

Brian
Yeah, it is pretty early, huh?

I read BajaTaco's post several times and it does provide a LOT of information, but it's also for a 3rd gen truck. I have a second gen truck. I guess the only difference would be that I need to figure out how my alternator is wired differently than his.