Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Driving on spacers with 2 missing studs/lugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving on spacers with 2 missing studs/lugs

just like the title says. Would you drive on it, and for how long. if at all. I've got 2 shredded up studs and lugs on my spacers and wont be able to get replacements for a couple days but I have work and school to get to. Spacers are tightened down by all 6 lugs to the hub but wheel is only tightened down by 4 of the lugs on the spacers. I've got the studs to where they are evened out so 2 on one side 2 on the other.

Oh yea, I've contacted all-pro to see if they have the studs for their spacers cus I can't find them locally anywhere. Anyone know what kind of studs they use? I might buy new spacers in the mean time while I find out what I can do about the shredded studs. Thanks in advance

Waldz
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM

where are the missing studs located bc if they are separated by one good stud i would say that u will b fine for a few days
Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 PM

ok, not perfect but to the point.. red indicates where I have lugs, white indicates no lugs
Attached Thumbnails Driving on spacers with 2 missing studs/lugs-spacers.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

If the two bad studs were next to each other, I wouldn't chance it. Since they are across from each other, you should be fine. What happened to the bad studs?

Disclaimer: malteserunner LLC will not be liable for any property damages, or loss of life, resulting from improper lug nut torque. The information in this post is a collection of data I derived from my personal experiences. This information is meant as a learning guide for you to make your own decisions. Best practices and code should always be followed. The recommendations I make are from my personal experiences and I do not receive any compensation for those recommendations.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Well when I went to get my oil changed they said my break rotors were lookin bad. Which would be the reason why I'm wobbling during breaking. So decided to take a look at them. Went to take off the lugs and 2 were stipped as well as the studs. Said to hell with it and tried getting them back on since they were screwed anyways, and it just made them worse.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:18 PM

do u absolutely have to have the spacers on bc if u dont then if ur worry about them that much just take them off all together

Last edited by Kerby J; 08-23-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 PM

u mean the spacers? If that's your question then yes, I have to have the spacers on in order for my wheels to fit.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would feel better if the spacer was on a rear wheel but not a front. The fronts have more forces put on them and if you lost a rear wheel it's not as bad.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Wheel studs are seated in wheel spacers by the knurl. If they are stripped the wheel spacers are junk now. Get a new pair.

A search of "YJMudder" should help you. Or just look in my sig.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Run it, don't drive like an idiot, and you should be fine.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
If the two bad studs were next to each other, I wouldn't chance it. Since they are across from each other, you should be fine. What happened to the bad studs?

Disclaimer: malteserunner LLC will not be liable for any property damages, or loss of life, resulting from improper lug nut torque. The information in this post is a collection of data I derived from my personal experiences. This information is meant as a learning guide for you to make your own decisions. Best practices and code should always be followed. The recommendations I make are from my personal experiences and I do not receive any compensation for those recommendations.

LOL
Old 08-23-2010, 07:28 PM

I thought about that, but I had a long enough day, and then this ugh.. I didn't wanna get to the back and have more issues, plus I was tired of wrenching.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Wheel studs are seated in wheel spacers by the knurl. If they are stripped the wheel spacers are junk now. Get a new pair.

A search of "YJMudder" should help you. Or just look in my sig.

well, the studs come out like they do on any car hub. They have the riveting around the base that when punched in/wrenched tight they seat. Just like replacing a stud on any vehicle. Not saying you're wrong but how are they toast if I can find the right studs to fit in them.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Banned

Are the threads on the studs boogered up or does the whole stud turn in the spacer?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:44 PM

yea, it's just the threads on the stud where the lugs go.. the spacer is fine.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

Never seen anyone sell just the studs, too much liability for messing up the wheel spacer pressing a new stud into the aluminum. Might try a die and debooger it.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:56 PM

I guess I'll see what I can do.. I contacted All-Pro to see what they'd say about the studs. Might just have to order new ones. In the mean time, looks like I'll just have to take it easy cus I have no other way to get around.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:49 AM

Well just for future advice when u torque down the lug nuts its not supposed to be more than 75ft/lbs and u r prolly having this problem BC someone used an air gun to put the lugs on
Old 08-24-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I got some studs for an old military jeep just by taking the old stripped ones out and then to napa. They have a bunch and might be able to help you out.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 PM

AllPro actually told me to go to Nappa but unfortunately they didn't have what I needed. I talked to Jack at AP and he had a used 2" lug centric spacer layin around. So I snagged it to use the studs out of. Cost me $35 shipped but at least I'll have 4 extra for any issues later down the road. I'm not gonna risk drivin mine around though, my gf lent me her mustang gt for a couple days it's more fun to drive anyways. Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Driving on spacers with 2 missing studs/lugs