Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Drivetrain Vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drivetrain Vibration.

Ok so here's the deal. Two days ago I was helping a friend move a car of his. I strapped it to my hitch and pulled it, but only about 5ft. I then however pushed the car in reverse about 10ft. I had to push it in reverse because My front bumper was too high to push it without causing damage to both cars. Now to the problem. Since then my car has a driveline vibration when pulling off. I greased the u-joints and it seems to have helped. It's not as bad but it it's still there when you first pull off in 1st. Before I greased it, the vibration was a lot worst and also present in 2nd and slightly in 3rd. Now 2nd gear vibration is practically gone and in 3rd gear it's no longer present. I only missed one of the nipples on the rear driveshaft closest to the transfer case the one inbetween the u-joint as my grease gun did not have a flex hose and would not fit. Do you guys think the vibration will disappear once I grease that nipple or is there another problem? Any help here would be appreciated. The vibration is kind of getting annoying. Oh and there's a wierd smell that's present, I don't really know how to describe it. Kind of like burnt rubber I guess.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im gonna have to take a wild guess that you have a 5 speed. And if so, sounds like your clutch is in need of replacement soon. I have that same vibration sometimes when i take off.

And that smell if probly the clutch slipping and burning up
Old 04-20-2007, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Stevo3
Im gonna have to take a wild guess that you have a 5 speed. And if so, sounds like your clutch is in need of replacement soon. I have that same vibration sometimes when i take off.

And that smell if probly the clutch slipping and burning up
im in agreement, sounds like the clutch is chattering, and slipping and your getting a vibration from that...burnt clutch is distinct, but i guess you could say it smells kinda like burnt rubber
Old 04-20-2007, 07:02 AM

hehe, yeah i know that smell a little too well. Dumped my clutch once, recently, i didnt move anywhere nor the tires werent spinning.. but the rpms kept going up . lets just say i wont be doing that again. and it took over 15 miles just to get the smell out of the inside. but was still stinkin when i parked. I have the TRD clutch waiting in my garage to get put on when the stock one finally gives way.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Stevo3
hehe, yeah i know that smell a little too well. Dumped my clutch once, recently, i didnt move anywhere nor the tires werent spinning.. but the rpms kept going up . lets just say i wont be doing that again. and it took over 15 miles just to get the smell out of the inside. but was still stinkin when i parked. I have the TRD clutch waiting in my garage to get put on when the stock one finally gives way.
i hear ya, i went to the track with some kid and his built civic, well i know he is a cheap sob, and i know he does horrible work, but i wanted to see what he said his civic could do...well he lines up in the burn out box(he was running slicks), they spray some water down, he goes to drop the clutch and nothing happens but it sounds like its bouncing off of redline....idiot never upgrade his clutch after he went turbo, i was like wtf were you thinking....his track car still smells like clutch to this day....
Old 04-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Damn, I wasn't expecting to hear that but I guess after 198k kms or ~120k miles the clutch has paid it's dues. Thanks for all you help guys.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:50 AM

Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to tow a car with the clutch in the shape that it's in? I was supposed to tow a car on a uhaul dolly next weekend for a friend. The trip is about 400km's. What do you guys think?