Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

which driveshaft will work?

Old 06-28-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which driveshaft will work?

so i apparently broke my rear U-joint (just in front of the rear diff) on my last offroading trip over memorial day. the shaking and the sounds have been getting worse ever since, but it kept running. i moved everything i own in my 4runner and was hauling a trailer on top of it with my truck in this condition. it kept running. by the time i got to my destination, the vibrating was so bad i decided that it'd be smart to ground my truck till i found the problem. i got underneath, and sure enough, the U-joint was/is busted. it busted out the side of the driveshaft. i really have no idea how it was still going. anyways, here's my question(s).

i need a new (used) driveshaft. what vehicles (other than 84-89 4runners with 4cyl 5speed) can i look for in junkyards to steal the driveshaft from? i'm gonna put a new U-joint on so i'm not worried about that. but i doubt you can even get a new driveshaft.

my other question, can i take the rear driveshaft out (leaving the U-joint in place so the transfer case and diff are still sealed) so that the rear wheels aren't being driven, but then put it in 4wd (but only powering the front wheels, since obviously the rear driveshaft is no longer attached) so i can get around while i'm tracking down another driveshaft? what do you think?

i'll post pics of this thing when i take some. you guys won't believe this thing is still able to keep the rear wheels spinning.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

not sure about other vehicles fitting the toy, when i bought my 2nd gen i asked about the driveline components being interchangable. they are not. look around for a shop that can repair your drive shaft, no need to look for something you already have!

lee
Old 06-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Pull the shaft and run in front wheel drive, it works great. In fact if you did that when the joint first started making noise, it would have been best. You can get the u-joint replaced/repaired at any local driveline shop. Or get a used shaft from a similar truck: http://www.car-part.com/
Old 06-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Just replace the u-joint. Nothing to it and relatively cheap.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:11 AM

never had to do this before. what is a decent price for a used driveshaft?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:13 PM

Looking at this for different reasons myself.

A used shaft is $85 if I pull it, $125 if the junk yard pulls it.

For $150.00, a local shop will replace the tube and balance it for me.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Try:
http://www.car-part.com/
Old 06-29-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoung101
my other question, can i take the rear driveshaft out (leaving the U-joint in place so the transfer case and diff are still sealed) so that the rear wheels aren't being driven, but then put it in 4wd (but only powering the front wheels, since obviously the rear driveshaft is no longer attached) so i can get around while i'm tracking down another driveshaft? what do you think?
toyota's aren't like jeeps and a lot of other american rigs that have slip yokes. the driveshaft yokes attach to a flange at the t-case and diff rather than with a slip yoke or straps on the u-joint with a u-joint yoke.

just don't take the slip section of the driveline apart without marking which way it goes, as it'll put the u-joints out of phase.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
toyota's aren't like jeeps and a lot of other american rigs that have slip yokes. the driveshaft yokes attach to a flange at the t-case and diff rather than with a slip yoke or straps on the u-joint with a u-joint yoke.

just don't take the slip section of the driveline apart without marking which way it goes, as it'll put the u-joints out of phase.
uhhh, i didn't follow that in the least bit. i thought this was going to be cake and now you confused me. can you clarify? possibly with pics? thanks.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:10 AM

Most GM or american maade trucks have a slip yoke that goes into the bak of the transfer case.

With your toyota, the u-joint attaches to a pinion flange that is PART OF the transfer case. The slip joint is actuatlly part of the drive shaft.

So what does this mean...???

There are several different options for putting a u-joint back into other trucks than the toyotas have. The biggest reason for doing that would be if you want to put a u-joint in with a larger yoke size. IE, if you drive shaft has a 2.135" size from tip to tip, but the known yoke for strength would have a size of 2.500", You could change you yokes and slip joint pretty easlily on a GM, having to cut only one weld.

Check these out too....
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/engl...040301ds.html#
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...line-101.shtml

The biggest thing to remember that when you are pressing your caps out, don't put any undo stress into the yokes. It will result in the caps getting loose in them, resulting in the yoke coming apart at high speed and scaring the bejeezes out of you....