Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Driveline squeal...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveline squeal...

No new mods I can blame this on so I think something is wearing out ...quickly. It sounds like really strong finger nails on a blackboard and/or like you were rubbing 2 pieces of styrofoam together and it's getting worse. As of last night I hit everything with the grease gun and found no change.

No noises when drifting out of gear, no noise when drifting in gear with the clutch depressed, no noises when drifting/rolling in gear with the clutch engaged. Onlyt happens when clutch is engaged and I apply a little power. Most noticable when starting from a standstill forward or reverse - reverse is worse.

Since I need some other work done anyway - my next stop is the dealership, but that's already going to be a big bill, any ideas??? I hate taking stuff apart before knowing what I'm trying to fix.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:50 AM

Sounds like my clutch when it slips. I really hope that it only does this sometimes since it sounds like your disk is on its rivets.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by Victor
Sounds like my clutch when it slips. I really hope that it only does this sometimes since it sounds like your disk is on its rivets.

I've been through my fair share of burnt clutches (on my Jeeps) and never experienced anything like this. The clutch doesn't seem to slip at all and the noise continues well after things are fully engaged. So it's not coming from the minor slippage that occurs everytime you shift - If it's not something simple like a u-joint I'm affraid it's something in the tranny a little more serious than the clutch disk, but I'll pay a little extra attention to the engine and tach as a I shift looking for slippage - thanks.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:12 AM

Do you have problems shifting into gear from neutral? Perhaps a bad pilot bearing.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by Victor
Do you have problems shifting into gear from neutral? Perhaps a bad pilot bearing.
If I'm sitting still (engine running or not) and roll through the gears I have to wiggle or make a second attempt sometimes - especially into reverse, but never have any trouble while moving.
I remember my 88 was the same way.

Does that sound like a pilot bearing? Never had any experience with a bad pilot bearing before.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:48 AM

As I understand it - the pilot can go bad and cause binding on the input shaft. It will be hard to put the truck into 1st from neutral as there is some spinning of the input. If you have a squeel perhaps the pilot is not spinning correctly and causing intereferance with the input shaft? Just speculating since my first instinct was a slipping clutch since you mentioned it occurs when the clutch is engaged and you apply power.

Another thing to look at is your slave cylinder. Sometimes they start leaking or bind up and make shifting difficult. You can bleed yours and see if that helps at all - I did mine since I was bleeding all the brakes after doing my brake line extension with the Downey lift. I noticed a better clutch pedal feel but my clutch still slips when starting up a slope.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:22 AM

Thanks - I'll check those items tonight. Could be fun - I've never bleed a clutch system before...