Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

DR Z Silencer MOD

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DR Z Silencer MOD

It has been about 500 miles on this mod. Overall, excellent mod.

Good
1. Responsivness has improved dramatically. "Tap" on the gas and your runner is movin!
2. Improved acceleration.
3. Allows for more room in your engine bay. You can change your plugs without taking out your air box.
4. Looks good.

Draw backs.
1. Its loud. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I wish it would shut up. When you first do the mod, its more noticeable due to your ECU learning your air intake. For the first 2 gas tanks, your engine will rev a lot higher before shifting.
2. Sometimes its too responsive. From a dead stop when you "Tap" the gas your car will shoot. Feels like a bad stick shift driver.

Still Pending.
Gas Mileage
Old 04-08-2003, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

I know he'll be glad to read more feedback, thanks for posting this. One question, though, is your exhaust still stock? A higher-flowing muffler wakes things up even more...

Old 04-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

I had this mod hooked up in April of 2000 on my 98 Tacoma. Great mod, I liked it.

I havent done it on my 96 because gas prices are so dang high!

You are running premium right?
Old 04-08-2003, 01:25 PM

Oh i forgot to mention. The reason it took me soon long to do the mod was the thought of using premium gas. Well I am running 87 Regular and NO PINGING. I have been testing for pinging on every big hill I know off and encounter. I asked DR Z bout it and he said ever engine is different. Well I havent been able to enduce pinging.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

I actually run mid-grade, 88 octane around here. I live at 7000 ft, and with the deckplate, ISR Mod, and a high flow muffler, I don't get any pinging with 88, but I do with 86. I've tried a couple of tanks of premium (90 or 91), and could not tell any difference, performance or mileage.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Away

Hey Vy,

I'm glad you're still happy with the ISR mod. Thanks for posting your experiences with it.

Lemme know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Peace!
Dr. Z
Old 04-08-2003, 03:45 PM

DR Z..
Ill let you know if there is anything else. Thanks again.

Loosehead..
I still have the stock muffler. I dont think I want it any louder!
Old 04-09-2003, 05:17 PM

I was looking forward to trying this mod on my '03, but the intake is different. The silencer and tube is one piece from the airbox to the plenum inlet. I am reluctant to cut it apart, in case I need to restore it. I will look at it some more, and see if I can figure something out. If anyone else figures it out, please post.

John
Old 04-09-2003, 07:39 PM

ok so i will be the one to play dumb and ask soooo what is the mod that you are talking about. . .

just figured i'd ask for all us that r outts the loop
Old 04-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Away

Originally posted by 98Tacoma
ok so i will be the one to play dumb and ask soooo what is the mod that you are talking about. . .

just figured i'd ask for all us that r outts the loop
If you look at my sig, you'll find a link to my article about the mod...

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 04-09-2003, 09:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Posted by: furthur

I was looking forward to trying this mod on my '03, but the intake is different. The silencer and tube is one piece from the airbox to the plenum inlet. I am reluctant to cut it apart, in case I need to restore it. I will look at it some more, and see if I can figure something out. If anyone else figures it out, please post.

John
Can you possibly get a piece of pipe bent to completely replace the current intake/silencer?

Steve
Old 04-10-2003, 08:22 AM

I noticed on your page Dr. Z. if this same mod can be swapped over to my 98 tacoma with a 2.7L?

I know that alot of the 4runner/tacoma parts are "simililar".

If you have any idea or any links let me know please i am very interested to try this and also try the deck plate mod, yes i finally figured out what that was thatnks to u Dr. Z!!!!:pat:
Old 04-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Hey 98-

Can you post a pic of your engine? For one, I am curious what the 2.7L intake looks like. Second, from the pic, we can tell you how to make this mod work for you. (Maybe)
Old 04-10-2003, 08:39 AM

Steve,

Yeah, that's the first thing that came to mind, but it will need some fittings welded on, and I need to check those fittings to see if there are valves on the intake tube that need to be there. Just haven't checked into it very much, yet, too much else to do right now.

John
Old 04-10-2003, 08:52 AM

Do these silencers exist on older trucks?

Edit:

answered my own question

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/blu_intake/blu.htm

Last edited by Tatsuo; 04-10-2003 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:55 AM
Away

Here's a pic of a Volant Intake installed on your engine:

They make really nice intake systems, by the way, as you can see.

I've been trying to find pics of your engine in the stock configuration, but I've not had much luck. However, I do remember that you have a silencer hanging right above the cam cover on the engine inline with the inake tubing, correct? There are probably 2 Vacuum hoses attached to the intake assembly, 1 on the tube near the aribox (EVAP System) and 1 near the Thtottle Body (FPR). Is this also correct?

How hard would it to remove the Silencer box? Is it part of the intake tube or a separate piece? Pictures of your engine would help, as Jayson said...

Dr. Z
Old 04-10-2003, 09:01 AM
Away

Originally posted by Tatsuo
Do these silencers exist on older trucks?
Yes, usually...

There is an ISR mod article or two for the 3.0 trucks in the Tech Section here at Yotatech. Here is also a thread about the mod for the 3.0 done by someone else. The did theirs a bit differently and perhaps a bit more simply and easily than Blu.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 04-10-2003, 09:05 AM
Away

Originally posted by furthur

John
Is your engine the V6 or V8? If it is the V8, Volant makes one for the Tundra and Sequoia 4.7L:

It _might_work on your 4Runner if it is the 4.7L. They aren't cheap, but I think they're some of the nicest intakes I've ever seen mass produced. They are also Cold Air Intakes.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 04-10-2003, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumb question??

Can the same be done to the 22RE? Or am I just not good at doing search's? With the 22RE is the silencer the rectangular looking tube, that sit's on top of the radiator, between the airbox and the intake plenum?
Old 04-10-2003, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Just a quck note for those thinking about doing this mod

1) It definitely works
2) The engine bay looks much better
3) If you just want to try it, the cheapo way of using plumbing end caps works great, and is easily reversible if you don't like it. I've still been able to run 87 oct. without any pinging. The only disadvantage of the plumbing caps is it looks a bit redneck under the hood when you're done.

Quick Reply: DR Z Silencer MOD