33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Downeys HD's or Performance Products springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Downeys HD's or Performance products springs

Which one should I go with? The HD's or the Performance Products Springs. Most of my driving is on road with very little off-road. I want a somewhat smooth and comfortable ride.

Last edited by Paul H.; 02-19-2003 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you mean by standards? i think the consensus here is to go with the downey option. cant really speak on the performance aspect though cause i dont have these. hopefully someone will chime in
Old 02-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I meant Performance Product Springs instead of standard. Is there a way to change the poll? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

try to edit your original post. maybe you can change the poll that way. as for the performance product springs, again, id ont know too much about them. i think they cost 199. the downeys cost around 160 or so. again, hopefully someone will be able to help you out better. my apologies for lack of knowledge
Old 02-19-2003, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PP's have been good to me. Never been in a rig with the Downeys.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I edited the poll, and the title for you.
You already know what option I choose
Old 02-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the help Corey. And I do know what your choice was.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:27 AM

Progressive rate PP Springs

Hey Paul H.,

I have a set of P.P.'s like Cebby. MY WIFE LOVES THESE SPRINGS. She thinks the money spent was well worth it.
The vehicle has no more rear end "slams" from the stock springs, and everything is finally level.

I would think that the Progressive Rate Springs would give a better Road Ride. If I were taking the vehicle offroad contantly or lived on top of a mountain I would choose the Downeys. Unloaded the progressive rate spring would absorb more, whereas the downey would have a slighty rougher response to the same condition, IN THEORY!

Like everyone says with 2nd Gen 4 Runners, "THIS IS THE BEST MOD YOU CAN DO!"

Try to find someone in your area with downey's and P.P.'s and take a ride.

Mike
Old 02-20-2003, 09:17 AM

mike what do you mean this is the best mod you can do is he trying to get rid of the rear sag or does he just want new springs and shocks ?
Old 02-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Downeys HD's or Performance products springs

Originally posted by Paul H.
Which one should I go with? The HD's or the Performance Products Springs. Most of my driving is on road with very little off-road. I want a somewhat smooth and comfortable ride.

I would go with OME's and some OME comfort shocks. I know this wasn't a choice that you gave but I figure I'd say it anyway. they are only about $100-$120 for the two rear springs and the shocks are about $80 for the two I think.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:04 AM

I have the PP springs and the on road feel and handling is great. I do light off roading and again for that type I'd say they're better than stock. I can't compare to downey's since I've never been in a rig with them. But from reading the forum. seems downey's are definitely the way to go if you do more of the serious off roading.
Alot of this is also personal preference, since only you would know exactly what kind of ride and road, as well as the type of driving you do.
Good luck on your decision and happy modding.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JLSubThumper
mike what do you mean this is the best mod you can do is he trying to get rid of the rear sag or does he just want new springs and shocks ?
JL, I do want to get rid of the sag, but I want a comfortable ride since I rarely go off-road.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:12 PM

Rear SAG Ellimination

Hey JBSubThumper,

I was just referring to most of the members comments that have 2nd Gen 4 runners like me.

The rear end sag coupled with a crappy ride has made people go for the rear spring aftermarkets and the shock aftermarkets as well.

Right now, I would consider this the best MOD for the money. The vehicle will handle NOTICEABLY better and it will actually look like a 4x4 and not a bi-plane sitting on the runway ready for takeoff.

HEY PAUL H.....

Get the bilstiens if you dont already have them! Pay the money. I have Gabriels on mine. They were 20 bucks a piece at Autozone. For 35-45 bucks a piece you can get the bilsteins.

I will problebly be sticking an airbag 1000 kit from jcwhitney in the springs within the next year just to keep the vehicle level when I am towing or loading a ton-o-crap.

Just my opinion in the matter!

Mike
Old 02-20-2003, 03:06 PM

Paul, just like you I did a massive research on the net and on local 4 wheel drive shops here in Va Beach. After spending long hours on the net and wasting gas back and forth from one store to another, I made my decision in getting the heavy duty Downey Coils to get rid of the infamous sag that plagued the second generation 4Runner. Again just like you, I don't do much off-road wheeling and my runner is daily driven by my wife. The reason I decided to get the Downey is because it is a complete set (coils, LPSV bracket, extended braided brake line, another hose bracket and mounting hardware) and I only paid $149.00 at Central 4 Wheel drive plus $25 dollar shipping and handling. These coils coupled with the heavy duty shocks from bilsteins are probably the best combo you will ever find. Autozone price for shocks are 59.95 each plus tax and offer lifetime warranty.

Now, I know you want a comfortable ride. Rocky-road.com offers an OME medium coil and soft valving shock and the steering stabilizer included for a price of $437 plus shipping. That's four shocks, steering stabilizer and two medium duty coils. Try this one and maybe this one will solve that sag and give you a comfy ride.

I saw from the other thread that you were asking for help in which coils you will buy from your tax money.

Allprooffroad for 149 unknown brand
PP for 199
I can't remember the other one you put on that thread.

Let me know if this helps. Here is the pic of my Downey

Noel

Attached Thumbnails Downeys HD's or Performance Products springs-downey-coils.jpg  
Old 06-13-2003, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

Go with the Downey HD's. I just put mine in and they're great! One word of advice to make the install easier, disconnect the sway bar. Oh, and make sure you pre-soak EVERYTHING and use a flare nut wrench. It was really easy after that. It also helps to have an extra pair or two of hands.

Good Luck

Old 06-14-2003, 08:24 AM

i got rid of my downey HDs and went with the regular downeys.
still 1 1/2" lift, supposedly same spring rate as stock.

i think they are the same steel diameter 0.630 vs .660 for the HDs. but i think it rides nicer on the freeway - where i do 99% of my driving.

Last edited by nofilter; 06-14-2003 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

I vote other. Like keisur I'm going with the OME option.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:15 PM

I tried 2 differrent coils, 1 set from northwest offroad and the other from Downey. The set from northwest were very comfortable and brought the truck up to its respectable level but due to the weight I placed in the truck the rear would sag and the performance would lack. I currently ride on Downeys HD coils and for my needs they work great, no sag, can handle lots of weight plus trailering loads. Couldn't say much about the PP springs, I hear they're OK.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Poul D'eau
I vote other. Like keisur I'm going with the OME option.
Me too.

If you go with OME or Downey, check in with XtremeOff-Road for your best price!
Old 06-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mertztr
Me too.

If you go with OME or Downey, check in with XtremeOff-Road for your best price!
yea, and use the affliliate link on my site. haha.

Quick Reply: Downeys HD's or Performance Products springs