Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Downey coils vs OME coils

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downey coils vs OME coils

Which would be better, the Downey 3.5 coils or the OME Medium coils? I dont have a custom rear bumper or a lot of weight in the back. Which shocks would go best with the downeys and which shocks would go best with the OME's? I am going for articulation.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

If you're going for articulation, why not go with more lift as well? The OME springs and shocks would be best for both.

Downey springs are generally paired with Bilstein shocks.

I assume you're speaking for a 3rd Gen 'Runner. It would be nice to add what application this would be for.

Edit: Just saw your rack post inquiring about 3rd Gens, so that confirms it.

Last edited by Darren; 10-16-2003 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:02 AM

Darren is right, OME shocks are made to go with OME springs perfectly, while generally most people use bilsteins to go with the downey coils.

If you're goin for articulation, OME is known for their long travel shocks. But just becareful how much articulatino in the back, you don't want the spring falling out on the trail lol
Old 10-17-2003, 04:14 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Downey coils vs OME coils

Originally posted by Aparrish15
Which would be better, the Downey 3.5 coils or the OME Medium coils? I dont have a custom rear bumper or a lot of weight in the back. Which shocks would go best with the downeys and which shocks would go best with the OME's? I am going for articulation.
OME MED coils and OME STD shocks.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

WEB WHEELERS !!!

Originally posted by Darren
If you're going for articulation, why not go with more lift as well? The OME springs and shocks would be best for both.
Too bad Darren has never driven a single mile on a pair of Downey coils. But he knows because the Internet told him.

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
Darren is right, OME shocks are made to go with OME springs perfectly, while generally most people use bilsteins to go with the downey coils.

If you're goin for articulation, OME is known for their long travel shocks. But just becareful how much articulatino in the back, you don't want the spring falling out on the trail lol
WOW what experience from a guy who has never even driven a mile with a lifted 4Runner of any kind.

Originally posted by RTdawgs
OME MED coils and OME STD shocks.
Baaaa Baaaa Baaaa

The truth is that the Downey coils are excellent coils for people that have or plan on keeping the stock rear bumper. You can put the OME FIRM shocks with them. Work Great. The OME 890 springs are a complete waste and the 891's are prefect just as sold by ARB for people with an extra 300 pounds at all times.

It truly amazes me that people give such detailed accounts of products they have never seen or used.

Old 10-17-2003, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Downey coils vs OME coils

Originally posted by Aparrish15
Downey Coils. with the N86 FIRM shocks and it will ride really nice. With a stock rear bumper and no weight in the back.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darren
If you're going for articulation,
Sway-A-Way has some "issues" as well. Right Darren. How are those BENT springs doing?

SAW = Stay A Way

I have serious issues with this company after the 1.5 years I have owned there product. The shock itself is very nice.

1. The Springs SUCK. The bend & cut the poly bushings

2. Call them on the phone and you will get no where, they don't call you back and use the "ignore them until the go away" technique

4. They screwed one of my freinds and told him they did not have 20 pairs of shocks in stock but yet Camburg had no problem getting 20 pairs.

5. Fix major design flaws and do nothing to fix the product that went out the door bad.

I have uncovered that alot more people have had issues with these but still maintain a big BS line on the internet and praise them. Not me, if it's crap I tell you. If they have crappy Customer Service I tell you.

My $2000 worth of OME on the FJ-62 saged from 2" front and 3" rear to 1.5" all around. I guess sagging OME coils are not alone. They have sagging leaf springs as well. The OME steering stabalized hit the stock hy-steer. Great design. Looks like a stock Toyota steering stabalizer is in the future.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

While I'm at it:

Goodyear MT/R ride like ˟˟˟˟ on the street. The work GREAT off-road. But vibrate and make all kinds weird noises and do wierd things. They also take a huge ammount if weight to balance and seem to wear kinda fast.

Once again though, on the trail they perform flawless. Very strong, very durable, very good traction.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:48 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

wooow

I thought, this was the one forum online that everyone was good to each other, was helpfull, was nice, i geuss it just shows ya, some people are rude,, no matter how you try to help others, some people just cant play nice, lol......
Old 10-17-2003, 06:48 AM

Re: WEB WHEELERS !!!

Originally posted by sschaefer3

WOW what experience from a guy who has never even driven a mile with a lifted 4Runner of any kind.

It truly amazes me that people give such detailed accounts of products they have never seen or used.

WOW what an ass. Seriously, sometimes ur cool, and other times it seems like you have a rod stuck up your hole. What's the deal with you? You seemed like a cool guy when I met you, but occasionally online you're a total jerk. I'm just giving him my opinion on the subject, from what I've gathered, and you go and criticize me? You must be the coolest guy in the world!
Old 10-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Re: wooow

Originally posted by RicNkc
I thought, this was the one forum online that everyone was good to each other, was helpfull, was nice, i geuss it just shows ya, some people are rude,, no matter how you try to help others, some people just cant play nice, lol......
Call it want you want. I call it outright lies.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: WEB WHEELERS !!!

WOW what an ass. Seriously, sometimes ur cool, and other times it seems like you have a rod stuck up your hole. What's the deal with you? You seemed like a cool guy when I met you, but occasionally online you're a total jerk. I'm just giving him my opinion on the subject, from what I've gathered, and you go and criticize me? You must be the coolest guy in the world!
You are directing people to spend money and buy products that YOU have no personal experience with. You are endoseing good and sevices you have no clue about.

Nice or not. Rude ot lovey dovey, It does not matter.

You are misleading people. You are lieing to people. You have no clue if you are right or wrong.

Go ahead and attack me. I could care less. But when this guy buys this stuff and is unhappy.

YOU will be the one I'll send him to.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: WEB WHEELERS !!!

Also: Am I wrong? Have you ever driven even 1 mile in a lifted 4Runner.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Go Steve!!!!

I just learned a Hell of a lot.......LOL

And very happy with my 3" Downey /Bilstein Rears(Stock rear bumper)
Old 10-17-2003, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: wooow

Originally posted by RicNkc
We arent all like that....I think Steve is just a bit disgruntled, that's all....perhaps rightfully so.
Don't take it personally.....just be thankful you didn't buy SAWs!
Old 10-17-2003, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: wooow

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
.....just be thankful you didn't buy SAWs!
A-MAN!

I just call it like it is. No BS, no kissey kissey. Just cold hard facts.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: WEB WHEELERS !!!

Also: Am I wrong? Have you ever driven even 1 mile in a lifted 4Runner.
No I never said you were wrong there, but I have been in 4Runners with Daystar lifts, SAWS/OME Combo, OME/OME combo,
Downey front and back. So I know what all feels like, on-road AND off.

And how am I lying to people when I wrote WHILE GENERALLY MOST PEOPLE Am I giving them hard facts? No

And that's a total BS from you. Just a while back you were telling EVERYBODY to buy SAWS, and talkin like they were gods gift to 4Runne owners.

Last edited by Toyo_Runner96; 10-17-2003 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: WEB WHEELERS !!!

And that's a total BS from you. Just a while back you were telling EVERYBODY to buy SAWS, and talkin like they were gods gift to 4Runne owners.
They STILL ARE THE BEST THING OUT THERE. But the company sucks.

What do you do? They make a great product but are all the names that you have called me.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:19 AM

on a lightyer note......I am also really happy with my downeys and bilstiens in the rear.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WEB WHEELERS !!!

They STILL ARE THE BEST THING OUT THERE. But the company sucks.

What do you do? They make a great product but are all the names that you have called me.
Then why would you say this?

SAW = Stay A Way

Quick Reply: Downey coils vs OME coils