Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Downey/Bilstein Coilovers

Old 12-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downey/Bilstein Coilovers (Pics)

Went down to Toyota Carlsbad today to get a 70k service done. I went ahead and bought the Downey/Bilstein coil-overs and they got around to installing them but the spacer part, I think, was for a Tundra! So somehow the the parts got mixed up at Downey, that's what Toyota says...who knows.

Anyway, I know some people here are going to yell at me and tell me to get SAWs but I figured for a first try this would be cool and I got 15% off the price so I got them for 600. Maybe not the best deal but for a little piece of mind that they would be installed correctly since I don't have the tools or know-how I figured I'd go for it.

Now they have to order them from Downey and hopefully yhey'll be in next week. I asked what kind of shock was in the coil-over and they said it wasn't a standard TRD shock or an HD but something Bilstein made specially for Downey's application. Any ideas what that might boil down to? I assume they're special made since they're threaded for the coil-overs.

Last edited by Darx; 12-11-2003 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:55 AM

For like $25 more you could have SAWs!!
My buddy had the downey/bilstein coilovers and just replaced them after only 9 months! They're not worth the price, especially that close to SAW price. He might be selling his, and I think you can replace the shock on those to make them like new. It's only a collar around a bilstein shock. Install is no problem, if you come out to east county we could do it in a couple hours and still have time to test them on some trails! Can you cancel your order?
Old 12-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know about cancelling the order but I think I'm just going to go for it this once with that option. Not knocking your advice but I'll have someone to scream at if something goes wrong. Maybe in a year or so when my warranties is up I'll try something else and get some of you wrenchers to show me what's really going on!
Old 12-07-2003, 11:17 AM

Ok so when can you go wheelin' to test them out? Me and a few others are available (especially for 4x4 action) most any day. You can run the trails we tested my new stuff on, great range of terrain.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:35 AM

a set of wrenches and your factory jack is all you need for install. I sure hope you have that...
Old 12-07-2003, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Yeh i have the jack and a socket set. I'm just going to feel more comfortable with letting Toyota do this. Come March though things will be different and I'll start doing things on my own or witt help from people here who offer to assist.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Bud

It's easier to do it than you think. I have very little experience when it comes to wrenching and was able to install the saws with just the basic tools.

I'm sure the so cal members are more than happy to lend a hand
And test it out afterwards at the local trails.

Should've gone with the saws.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Darx...

Provide the tools/hardward/location and some grub and I"ll drive down to Carlsbad to help ya install em. I'm sure the SD members will want to come and help too... (HINT HINT!!)

Cheapest install ever! Free well sort of (aside from the grub!).

My weekends are pretty open (aside from xmas shopping... but I wouldn't mind taking a short trip down to the Carlsbad shopping center (off the 5!). So, if you want some help, I'll be more than happy to give you a lending hand.

Lance
Old 12-07-2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Good Times
Darx...

Provide the tools/hardward/location and some grub and I"ll drive down to Carlsbad to help ya install em. I'm sure the SD members will want to come and help too... (HINT HINT!!)

Cheapest install ever! Free well sort of (aside from the grub!).

My weekends are pretty open (aside from xmas shopping... but I wouldn't mind taking a short trip down to the Carlsbad shopping center (off the 5!). So, if you want some help, I'll be more than happy to give you a lending hand.

Lance
Hell, he could probably fly me out there to do the install for cheaper than what the stealer will charge. Come to think of it, it has been a while since I have been to Cali...
Old 12-07-2003, 04:59 PM

Darx-
Just got back from wheelin, too bad you couldn't make it. Then you'd have something to compare your new suspension against when you get it. All those other guys cancelled so they missed out too. So it was just the normal IFS core crew that always goes plus an XJ thrown in for kicks. You got to get those tires dirty and get a pic out of the driveway.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RobT2k
He might be selling his, and I think you can replace the shock on those to make them like new. It's only a collar around a bilstein shock.
I foiund out today that the Bilsteins are also rebuildable. Just a side note.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Pics

Front Right Coilover:

Left Side View:

Nice ride compared to TRD shocks, on-road at least, and I definately notice the 2" when getting in and driving. I like!

After all was said and done I got the install and alignment for $165. This is about 3X cheaper than what they were supposed to charge but I called them out on the sign they had on the wall for this setup which stated the install price as $165.00 and the alignment at $0.00.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

looks good man
Old 12-11-2003, 04:42 PM

Hey Darx, what part of Carlsbad do you live in? I might live just a few miles from you, depending on what part of the city you're in. Give me an intersection near you.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:10 PM

Hey Darx,

Looks great! You say your Tacoma got a 2 inch lift? Thats just for the front end, right?

Speed Racer
Old 12-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by tenfourtyeight
Hey Darx, what part of Carlsbad do you live in? I might live just a few miles from you, depending on what part of the city you're in. Give me an intersection near you.
I'm off of Paseo Del Norte and Palomar Airport Road.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SpdRcr
Hey Darx,

Looks great! You say your Tacoma got a 2 inch lift? Thats just for the front end, right?

Speed Racer
Yes, just the coilovers got replaced, not the rear end. It's kind of hard to tell in the pics but it's noticeable in the cab and looking at it.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Darx
I'm off of Paseo Del Norte and Palomar Airport Road.
That's right by my dentist. You know where Carlsbad Seapoint Resort is? I worked there a couple years ago. We should meet up some weekend and check out eachother's trucks.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darx
I foiund out today that the Bilsteins are also rebuildable. Just a side note.
Not knocking you, however, who told you that? From the looks of it, those shocks seem sealed. I could be wrong, however, I just want you to be aware.

Let me know!

Mike
Old 12-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by XtremeOff-Road
Not knocking you, however, who told you that? From the looks of it, those shocks seem sealed. I could be wrong, however, I just want you to be aware.

Let me know!

Mike
That's what it says on the Downey website.

On this page: http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...ents/index.htm

Go to "‘95-03 TACOMA & ‘96-02 4 RUNNER SUSPENSION
(ALSO NON-USA FJ-90 LANDCRUISER)" and click on the "Tech Talk" image link.

Or just go to http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Techni...nical_Talk.htm if that works. it's a pop-up window.

Under " DOWNEY FEATURES" it says

Custom machined Bilstein Shocks - these are tear-apart, revalvable, rebuildable, high precision shock absorbers with a world wide reputation among hard core racers.
That's what I was going off of.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Downey/Bilstein Coilovers