Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Double check me on this

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double check me on this

OK guys...heres what I'm thinkin about so far for some new speakers.

Front dash: Infinity Kappa42.5i
4" 2 way mulitelement loudspeaker
$46.35/pair
www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA42.5I'&Ser=KAP&Cat=MEL

Rear panels: Infinity Kappa52.5i
5.25" 2 way multielement speaker
$57.94/pair
www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA52.5I'&Ser=KAP&Cat=MEL

What other speaker sizes are there in the back? I see tons of different vents where speakers are but I haven't been able to find size information for them...any ideas?

What do you think of the speakers that I've chosen, any opinions on them? Any of you have them or heard them?

Thanks for the input, lemme know what you think and if you know the other sizes I need.

Fink
Old 06-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey if you think those little openings above the rear window are for speakers, i think the actual use for them is for circulation. at least thats what the stereo place told me. i dont know about what size anything is.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I was wondering if that was for air circulation, because there are air vents at the back of the rear side windows.

The computer at Circuit City just says that I need 4" speakers in the dash and then 5.25" speakers in the rear panels...hopefully the computers right but I wanna be sure, and I trust you guys more than the computer anyway.

Fink
Old 06-04-2004, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently upgraded the head unit and all 4 speakers in my 95 SR5 as well. I got everything from Crutchfield. The front 4" speakers will fit in the boxes but be ready to dremel them a bit to get them to fit right. Nothing major but your 4" speakers will have more bracketry around them than the factory ones did.

The rear speakers are 5.25" in a box and each box has a little amp in it. At first I used the brackets that Crutchfield sent me to mount 6.5" speakers in that location (totally removing the boxes and amps) but there was no bass response at all - I mean none.

So I decided to mod the factory boxes to accept the 6.5" speakers. It helped enough for me but it still isn't overwhelming bass by any means.

Here is a pic of the rear box mod in progress - I never did get a pic of it completed.

Basically, I just dremeled a hole large enough for the 6.5" and then used 1/8" masonite board to mount the speakers to. I also used a ton of sealer to seal the board to the box. I did cover up the port for the box to see how it would sound - I am thinking about going back and opening the port up though.

I had to modify the lower mounting bracket to fit by cutting off a piece that would have interfered with the new speaker. Only other thing was I used a .25" plastic spacer and new bolt on the lower mounting location to have the box stand off the sheet metal some and allow the speaker to have more room to move.

It only cost a few bucks in parts from Home Depot and the sound was much better than using the adapter plates but again, its not thundering bass at all. If you really want that sort of bass you will need to do something different.

Last edited by ROMAD; 06-04-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Well the only bass that I'm gonna need is gonna be comin from the 1200W amp and subs...I just need good clear sound of the speakers.

So what size are the stock speakers and what location are you talking about? The ones right behind the rear seats..the computer at Circuit City now says that they are 6 1/2" not 5.25....which one is right?

Thanks for the help man, I'll let ya know if I have anymore questions.

Fink
Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EDIT - Crap, I screwed up - I used 6.5" speakers in the rears not the 5.25" I mentioned already. Sorry, I went and double checked my order with Crutchfield and fixed the errors in the post.

In my 95 4Runner the front were 4" speakers, specifically size 4T and the rears were 5.25". You can see my factory rear speaker size in the pic above (on the right). Those boxes mount in the cargo area, right behind the wheel well.

My 4Runner came factory with the AM/FM/Cassette deck and 4 speakers. I have heard that the LTD models with top of the line stereos had larger speakers 6.5" and used the rear "vents" above the tailgate/rear window for tweeters. My SR5 did not have that level of equipment.

As for sound, the 6.5" speakers sounded great with the crutchfiled adapter plates except for the lack of bass. Since you have that more than covered with your subs then you should be fine. Might want to put some bass blockers on those 6.5" speakers to keep them from even wasting time on the bass but thats just my 2 cents. I used bass blockers on my front 4" speakers since they were not rated to go very low at all - and they sound great.

Last edited by ROMAD; 06-04-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Fnk, good selections. The rear spekers are 5 1/4 but I replaced mine with 6 1/2. I also put 6 1/2 in the doors. Check out my page for tones of pircutures and you might get a better idea of what you have to work with. You will have to modify the front enclosures to fit the new 4s. Check my page for this also.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks man, I'll probably just stick with the stock size in the back as I'm really pretty nervous about having to modify any of that kinda stuff.

I don't need anything REALLY loud just good and clear tunes is all I'm lookin for man...something that will put out enough noise that so I can hear it over the subs

Thanks for the help, any more tips or links or anything would be appreciated,

:rockband:

Fink