Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Door Locks and Ignition Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Door Locks and Ignition Replacement

Ok all you guys that have swapped, replaced or cursed the door locks and ignition switch, I have had a problem with mine ever since I purchased my Gen 3, the ignition key does not match the door locks. I had a key cut to the VIN and it will open the doors but won't work the ignition. The only way I can do this is to use one key to open and another to start the truck. I end up using the keyless lock remote to get the doors unlocked and then the ignition key. Not optimum, especially if the battery dies on the remote.

Only simple solution I can figure is change out the locks. The dealership didn't even want to swap out lock sets. Was going to add $500 to the cost of the runner, sooooo, while I was looking in the local bone yard yesterday for the remaining parts for my Flight 1 to Flight 2 center console swap, (96-98 to 99-02) getting the console mount bracket and e-brake tube, (another story for the Forum) I found another 98 that had been a roll-over. All 4 doors and lift gate were crushed so the locks can be taken. Also the ignition assembly is still in the steering column(but he can't find a key for it). Parts Guy told me I could have them all if I remove them for $45. Seems like a really good deal as they are in the $300+ range at the dealership. I figured once I get them all out getting a key cut would be no problem as I would have all the locks and the VIN from this wrecked Runner. (He also told me that the passenger door lock has the key codes)

My question is this, how do I get them out? I don't have a FSM but I know I need to pull the inner door panels (done that swap) and even the liftgate panel, but can't quite seem to figure out what needs to be removed, loosened, unbolted, etc so even after I get them out of the wrecked Runner, I don't destroy mine getting them out! Same for the ignition switch assembly. I know, I know I'm a guy but I am going to ask, I need directions! LOL!

As for the doors, I started on one yesterday, got the panel pulled and even removed one of the nuts holding the outer door handle, but something seems to be holding the door handle in place. Linkage? Another nut?

Liftgate, got rear panel off, metal plate removed, but can't seem to see what is holding the rear lock set and collar for the lift gate.

Ignition lock set, lower panel removed, ignition cover removed, do I need to remove the two nuts and strap holding the steering column up or is there another way to do it?
I await the vast pool of knowledge that is YOTATECH!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have a lock smith code the tumblers in your ignition to fit your door key. its that easy.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What would be the expense in that? Will I still have to remove the ignition switch for him to do it? If I have to do that might as well replace it with a matched set for the doors. I need what is simplest but also cheapest. My time is not part of the equation right now. I can do the work myself on something like this. Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would look into just getting a new ignition tumber that matches the door locks. I just replaced one on my girlfriend's focus. Took all of 10 minutes. The easiest swap I have done. I'm not usre of the cost because her mom works at a dealership and got it for free. I would think it wouldn't cost anymore that $50-60. I realize that this is more than matching set out of the junk yard but you have to consider the time that it's going to take to replace all 6, maybe 7 including glove box, I don't know about that. Then you'll have to get a key to match all those.

Call and see how much to get a new ignition tumbler matched to your door key. I know someone around here can give better directions but you'll pull the column shroud off afer disconnecting the battery. Then there will be a button recessed on the sleave that holds the tumbler. You'll depress that and slide the old one out and slide the new one in. That's the jist of it.

See if when you buy it the dealership will copy the pages in the FSM that deal with that. That's what I had done. If not I'm sure someone on here could scan the page or two. The only thing I can think tha tmight be a pain is taking the column off. In my Acura you had the take the steering wheel off. If that's the case make sure to unhook the airbag and battery.