Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Door Ding

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Door Ding

I got my first door ding this week in my 2002 4Runner. It's not very obvious, but still bugs me. I am pretty sure I know who it was too. This one lady that parked next to me the other morning was parked way to close, and later that day was when I noticed the door ding. She lives in my townhome community and is a bitch anyway.

So, does anybody know an easy way to get these out? It's a fairly small ding, and is kind of a vertical line. You can't really notice it when you look dead on, only at an angle. And with the recent snow and salt on the roads, it's hard to tell what it's going to look like once I get a chance to really clean the truck.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

I suggest calling local body shops or look in the phone book for places that specialize in ding removals. I'm sure there's plenty in your area. Even in small towns there's always at least one or two places that do that kind of work.
That happened to me a couple months ago and it only cost me $70 to have the ding removed. The guy did a great job. The only bad thing is that the ding itself took a chunk of paint off that is still noticeable even with touch-up paint on it.
The ease of the removal depends on the location of the ding. Mine was on the back quarter panel above the wheel well. He said the ones closest to the edge of the door are harder than in the middle. They go from the inside, so he worked on mine from the cargo area panel. Hope this helped a bit. Maybe someone else has an idea.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ding there.

You know, this whole thing upsets me about how careless people are with other people's vehicles.

How would they feel if after doing a door ding job if we followed them home, and walked inside and took a hammer to their china hutch or TV set and put a ding in it?

For some reason the mentality is if it's a vehicle, it's OK to ding someone's vehicle, as that's what they are for :mad:

I have to put a pipe foam sleeve or my passenger slider, as the neighbor's wife parks to close sometimes.
When the husband drives the van, he parks way away from me and backs in.
When she drives it, she pulls straight in and parks close, but leaves plenty of room on the other side for her husbands Porsche.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:01 AM

'dent pro' type places, do a good job, I recommend taking care of it ASAP because metal has a memory, it bounces back to it orginal shape. And the 'story' behind the ding isn't very exciting
sorry to hear the first ding wasn't on some wild wheeling adventure...

Nathan
Old 12-18-2002, 10:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cyber,

Dude, I can't help but to feel your pain. My former neighbor w/ an old, sh***y car at my past apt complex always parked right up against me. I would even park ass-end in with my passenger side parked bout 4 inches from the wall...and she would take advantage of that and park right on my line. That ˟˟˟˟ing lady---I'll never forget her. Anyways one nite I happened to park first and she was waiting...and then when pulled in and parked practically in my spot, I had a few choice words with the lady (she barely spoke English). I think my facial expressions seemed to speak volumes and she never did that again.

Anyways, dent removal runs about $70-$80 and most of the time they can get the dents out very easily, esp if they are located right in the center of the door. The more difficult ones are on the edges of the door.

I don't think you have running boards---those things definitely help keep passenger doors away (not truck or other high vehicles). For my custom Xterra step tubes project, I purposely made extended mounts so as to deflect doors. They work very well at doing so.

In anycase, have a "spirited" talk with that lady, if all civil methods do not work.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 12-18-2002 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try this...

This might be a good idea: www.dingking.com - as seen on tv

1-Apply glue to dent pulling tab.

2-Quickly apply to center of dent and let cool for a few minutes.

3-Place pulling bridge over dent pulling tab.

4-Twist wing nut on to dent pulling tab and twist the dent out till it pops.

5-Remove glue with supplied glue remover. Polish with soft, clean cloth.

It only runs $29.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Jason,

They did a test of that product on a local TV station out here and it really does not work like most of that TV stuff (e.g. GS27 scratch remover, etc).

The tests showed that you really have to have a very large dent that does not have a large "creased" edges. A "soft" dent is what the auto body expert guy said. Furthermore, on serious dents, the unit itself broke twice and 2 times the glue just didn't hold.

Bob
Old 12-18-2002, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's good to know! Thanks. That make it look so convincing on tv.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:41 PM

'Dent Doctor's' are the way to go if you have'nt broken any paint. They 'massage' the dent from the inside with special tools and suprisingly tap it with a hammer and plastic punch tool. If you can, get referral's as a rookie or inexperienced dent buster may do more harm. I have seen botched jobs that look horrendous. I was lucky to have a pro take out a long horizontal line/crease I did when putting my side marker in. He worked it 1 1/2 hours and did'nt charge me much...after all that banging, it was dead perfect. Dent repair is only as good as the guy doing it...good luck. I totally agree with Corey...some people are just idiots, my truck is not a freakin' door stop ya ˟˟˟˟e head!:mad:
Old 12-19-2002, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

yeah I want to call dent doctors soon, I have TWO door dings in my driver's side door and I have no idea how I got them, I do however know I got the three bumper dings on my back bumper, hey Brian do you know if anyone will or can take out chrome bumper dings? I gather it's much harder
Old 12-19-2002, 10:21 PM

The bumper metal is way thicker than the body skin. Not saying it's impossible, but I doubt chrome will look decent pounded out. The plating probably would crack off too. I know the good dent guy, he may do a side job for cash...for the body ding anyway. The rear bumper has 3 pieces which can be bought separately...if it's the front...cha-ching!
butnut

Last edited by butnut; 12-19-2002 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:50 AM

Smile That ugly running boards....

the only reason I left it on my runner, when I am on the road, is so someone won't dent my door. I know it is a pain to remove it before go off-road, but it sure beat repairing dent on the door.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:10 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Re: That ugly running boards....

Originally posted by duskie
the only reason I left it on my runner, when I am on the road, is so someone won't dent my door. I know it is a pain to remove it before go off-road, but it sure beat repairing dent on the door.
I do the same, the boards are good for protecting the rig from door dings and rocks chips from the tires, its not to big of a pain to remove them but [rant] its worth it if it protects my ride from ignorant white trash people who dont care about other peoples stuff!![/rant]

Chris
Old 12-23-2002, 01:21 PM

I've had a dent removed by Dent Masters in the Northern VA area. There are a number of other companies in the area that specialize in Paintless Dent Repairs.

It's pretty amazing what these folks can do. I watched them work on the hood of a car hit by hail. It is not noticeable by the time they are finished.

How well it works depends completely on the dent and the location. If there is a crease in the paint it will not work as the paint will chip. If it is on a corner or or curve, it is much more difficult.

I recently got a quote on having 2 removed. They would run me $65 each.

Let me know if you want more info,

Rick
Old 12-23-2002, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Philly
Here is what I did. call the BMW or Mercedes, etc and ask them who they use to remove door dings. That would be the person you would want to use.
hehe, that would work in most cases...did'nt for me. I knew the guy who did the big dollar cars...he flaked out on 3 separate times. What a jerk. Luckily I found someone good and really wanted to do a good job 'cause I'm so anal.
butnut