Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Doing the Lift Right

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doing the Lift Right

My birthday is coming up at the end of the month and coming into some additional cash.
What this means is that I will be scratching my original plan of running just the Toytec OME 3" coil suspension lift with 1" diff drop spacer alone with no shock upgrades or anything...

Now do start getting all excited and wetting your pants thinking I am going to SAS...

Not now...

Also, do not think that I am going with the Sonoran Steel System 1 Lift.
As much as that is a good lift, I don't like the idea of having and inch of rear rake.
Which would make you think I would go for System 7, but I want 3" of lift, not 2.5".

So after reading about all the different possibilities of lifts I have come up to the following set up for front and rear.
I also have a few questions to go along with each set up.

Front End:
Am I correct in saying that Toytec is the only industry to make a full 3" Coil lift for the front end WITHOUT spacers?
If there is one please someone inform me.
With that said here is the planed front end setup:

Toytec OME 3" lift front coil kit
Toytec front diff drop kit 1"
Tokico Treckmaster RT Front Shocks
Sonoran Steel Shaved A-Arms

In the end shipped to me this kit would cost me $665.
Some questions about this setup:
Are there extended brake lines for the front?
Are the extended brake lines needed?
Also Sonoran Steel had limit straps, what is the point of a limit strap?
I googled but got no answer.
Do I need the limit straps?
Is there anything else I may be missing for this front end setup?

Rear End:

FZJ-80 Front Coils
OME Rear Shocks OME-N80
Sonoran Steel Super Soft Bump Stops & Daystar
Adjustable Trac/Pan Hard Bar
Emergency Brake Bracket
Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines.

WITHOUT figuring the FZJ-80 coils, this setup to my door would be $563.
Some questions about this setup:
How much do the FZJ-80 Coils run?
Where can I acquire these coils?
Is there anything else I am missing for this rear setup?

As you can tell I have done my research,
With prices and all.
So I just need a few of these questions asked so I can make my lift complete.
Thank you!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

First of all, Toytec does NOT offer a full 3" lift coil. The 882s are the tallest of their front coils and they only merit about 1.8" of lift. You'll come up empty if you're looking for a full 3" coil.

You never mentioned why you needed the shaved a-arms, are you trying to stuff 315s under there?

Stainless steel brake lines are not required, but a recommended upgrade

More people seem to stumble onto the LC coils, if you're looking for a fresh lift setup and have the money to spare you can go through dealership (you're looking at 250 for the pair) but you know they're brand new and avoid the guesswork involved in used suspension parts. If you find a pair used, they should be in the neighborhood of 75 buckaroos

Last edited by MillerPKA; 08-09-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

So what Toytec is claiming to be a 3" coil lift is still incorporating some kind of spacer?

I thought the issue of a 3" lift on the CV's was resolved with the Differential Drop?

Yes I would like to run a larger tire down the road and would like to get the A-Arms installed while everything else is being installed as well.

Were can I get the extended brake lines for the front?
If there recommended then I will be getting them.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Don't need extended for the front, just OEM length in a stainless application. again not neccesary, but helps give transfer more hydraulic pressure to the pads, which you may need running bigger tires, all up to you.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Well anything to upgrade while I am working in that area I will.
Where can I acquire the Stainless Steel OEM version of the lines?
I am getting on 120K on these things and they have seen there fair share of abuse from me I am sure.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 PM

The toytec lifts gain the height from the colis plus a spacer. For limiting straps they are meant to control the droop of the suspension to avoid overextending and eating cv's. This can occur if the shocks have a lot of travel and when combined with a top out spacer. This has been a mentioned problem with the ome shocks used with a 3/8 top out spacer.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

Check wheelers off road...
wheelersoffroad.com

I dont know Avy. Check with brembo.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

Our 2" lift is benchmarked off of the 1999 model year, which was 1" taller. So when you put a 2" lift on a truck that started 1" lower, you would get 3" of lift.

I could call our lifts, 3" but then that would not be accurate of you had a 1999.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

I see Steve.
That clarifies things even more.
Thank you.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

the 882s weren't 3 inches taller than my sagging 97s and supposedly they are approximately a half inch taller than the 881s, i think these coils have been misrepresented somewhere down the line because i have yet to see a true 3" gain in front from anyone, maybe even with the 3/8 spacer

edit: and you never said what you were getting the shaved a arms for. make sure you're not buying unnecessary parts just because you can, i know it's fun but these are a waste of money if you're not actually taking advantage of them

Last edited by MillerPKA; 08-09-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:33 AM

I just picked up the Toytec 881's claiming a 3in gain it came with hardware, coils, and aluminum top plate spacers to get that full 3. I've been running a Daystar 2.5 coil spacer from Wheeler's and the ride was fine, but I ended up swapping my OME's in the rear for the cruiser coils--I beleive they were 19.5inches and gave me around 5.5 of lift on stock bumper. i do have a raked Aussie look, but I like it. I bought my LC's from here for around the 70 shipped range if I remember right. Sounds like you did your home work, but yeah don't buy unnecessaries. I'll fill you in when I throw those bad boys on, not this weekend though-camping and wheelin'!!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:23 AM

I didnt read through all the previous posts so forgive me if this has already been said, but there are a ton of companies that offer 3" lift coils and full coilovers. I have 3" lift donahoe racing coilovers on my rig, they work great, and ive never ever had a problem with them after tens of thousands of miles of hard abuse. Also OME makes coils up to 4" of lift, sway-away coilovers come in 3" lift i beleive, and i THINK that king now makes 3" lift coilovers.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:33 AM

IIRC, the OME 882 coils are supposed to give ~2.25" or so of lift on their own. Toytec packages them with a .5" topout spacer, which gives another .75" of lift, for a total of around 3". Some people aren't seeing the full 3" though (RooRunner is a good example).

My rear lift is 1995 LC coils, which have sagged over time to give ~4" or so. From my fender flare to the ground is right at 39" with 265's. You can get the LC's cheapest at trdparts4u.com or toyotapartssales.com (Strap22 on here). They're great people to deal with and the coils run ~$95 plus shipping each. The problem is that from what I've found, it's going to be very hard to level the front with rear LC coils. You just can't put more than 3" of lift in the front IFS suspension without problems with the CV's.

My front lift is a different matter. I'm running 2.5" Daystar spacers with stock coils. The fender flare to ground measurement is ~36.5" or so. I'm getting too much rake right now. My plan is to get the OME 3/4" topout spacers from Toytec with my current Daystar setup. It's kind of a mish-mash lift, but should give me a true 3", since my stock springs have sagged a little over time.

It would also be good info to know on how you're planning to run your Runner. Will it be a mall crawler or trail rig? Good luck!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:39 AM
Contributing Member

All of this information about ARB/Old Man Emu coils in this thread is wrong. One of you needs to call ARB. Here is the phone number: (425) 264 1391

And post what the makers of the actual coils state. I don't want you to hear it from me, I want you to get it from the actual manufacture.

Coils designed to carry more weight do not lift, they carry more weight.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:15 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sschaefer3
All of this information about ARB/Old Man Emu coils in this thread is wrong. One of you needs to call ARB. Here is the phone number: (425) 264 1391

And post what the makers of the actual coils state. I don't want you to hear it from me, I want you to get it from the actual manufacture.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

i don't really care what they say, you can quote what they say if you deem it necessary, but in terms of installed lift these will NOT give a full 3 inches no matter how you slice it
Old 08-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RooRRunner
edit: and you never said what you were getting the shaved a arms for. make sure you're not buying unnecessary parts just because you can, i know it's fun but these are a waste of money if you're not actually taking advantage of them
Down the road I plan on getting 315s put on.
(when this is done I will also be regearing)
So I feel more comfortable getting this part installed now then later.
Home much of a difference is it going to be weather I run stock or shaved A-Arms, if I read correctly they still help out a lot more in the long run as opposed to an after market A-Arm.

Originally Posted by apalmer1
I didnt read through all the previous posts so forgive me if this has already been said, but there are a ton of companies that offer 3" lift coils and full coilovers. I have 3" lift donahoe racing coilovers on my rig, they work great, and ive never ever had a problem with them after tens of thousands of miles of hard abuse. Also OME makes coils up to 4" of lift, sway-away coilovers come in 3" lift i beleive, and i THINK that king now makes 3" lift coilovers.
After getting many different response from other sites besides this one, the consensus seems to be that you cannot push the IFS any father than 3" without stressing the CV's.
Maybe the 3+" coils you speak of are for a 2WD Runner or Taco thats made more for desert running.

Originally Posted by emptypockets
It would also be good info to know on how you're planning to run your Runner. Will it be a mall crawler or trail rig? Good luck!
My Runner will be far from mall crawler.
My aunt just moved out to Colorado Springs.
So I am building her more for the trails.
If I could convince my parents to let me keep my stepdad's 02' Sport Edition Runner as a DD when he goes to get a LC sometime in the future, I would save my money and do a mild lift on his and SAS mine. but thats a BIG IF.

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
My original reason for scratching my first lift plans.
I am making a storage box with sleeping platform like in the Tech write up.
I will have camping gear, recover gear, and tools in it.
I also plan on adding a second spare tire down the road. (may sound overkill but i have learn over my past few trips that rocks can be some nasty SOBs so...)
Hence why I opted to change the rear.
As for the front, I forgot to consider a TJM or ARB plus winch so.

I again reiterate to all of you, thank you for your opinions and input.
I want to do this right first so I do not have any issues in the future.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:21 AM
JGM

I have SS shaved a-arms that I am willing to sell. PM me when / if you are interested.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:33 AM

Yotafun, What are your plans as far as tire size?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JGM
I have SS shaved a-arms that I am willing to sell. PM me when / if you are interested.
When the time comes I will give you a PM

Originally Posted by frodin1
Yotafun, What are your plans as far as tire size?
I will down the road eventually run 315s
This will be after I can get my hands on a set of LC Rims

As for now I will be running 285s on my stock rims.

Quick Reply: Doing the Lift Right