Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Does size matter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does size matter?

O.k., now that I have your attention, I wanted to get some feedback from everyone about an idea I had regarding oil filters for the 3.4 V-6.

The other night I went to the parts store to get oil and a filter for my upcoming oil change. To make a long story short, I cross-referenced abunch of different filters and found one that is actually longer that ours, but has the same thread size, diameter, gasket size and valve pressure. So my question is this, for the same price, wouldn't it be better to use the longer one, since the lenght is proprtional to the amount of filter surface area?

Here's a couple of pics of the two different filters, courtesy of the Napa website:

According to the specs on the Napa website, the upsized filter is 1.4 inches longer, which would add a considerable amount of filter area.

Here are a few part numbers for the stock filter:
Napa Fil1348
Bosch 3330
Mobil M1-102

For the up-size:
Napa fil1516
Bosch 3422
Mobil M1-210
Motorcraft Fl-400S

The upsized filter is actually a Ford V-6 filter, from some 3.0L and the 3.8L Mustang of the mid-90's.

So what does everyone think?

I actually tried it last night to see how hard it was to get on, and I personally thought it was easier for me to get on and off than the stock one. The added length made it much easier to stab in from the wheel well, since you actually have more to hold onto. Also, I could not see any clearance problems, and it was pretty easy to get a strap-wrench on the end of it, too.

I look forward to any feedback in discussing this with everyone.

Cheers!
Old 11-20-2002, 02:09 PM
Away

Jayson, you rock!

He's my friend, you know.
Dr. Z
Old 11-20-2002, 02:13 PM
CTB

My personal recommendation - go with either stock Toyota filters or Amsoil filters.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:23 PM

Have you looked into whether Amsoil sells a filter for the Mustang? They most likely do and if so I would get that because you are right, more filter means better filtration.
And I will say it so no one else does,
Yes size always matters:tomcat:
Old 11-20-2002, 09:31 PM
Banned

Just because its longer dosen't necessarilly mean that there is more filter material inside. There might be but there is no way to be sure without disecting one like this guy does. .
Old 11-21-2002, 05:36 AM

I just had my oil changed too...DANG. O well next time I'll supply the filter (hey I know I'm not the only guy that has his weekend preplanned by his GF)

Great Thread Loosehead!,
Outkast`
Old 11-21-2002, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Good catch

That is exactly what many of us with Tacoma's do.

The Amsoil replacement for the stock filter is the SDF57. But, somewhere along the way, someone figured out that there was a longer filter that worked perfectly for our application.

So, many of us switched over to running the SDF34, which is exactly as you described, about 1.5" longer, but identical to stock in thread and diameter.

I am on my third one of the longer filters now and have nothing negative to report. At least on the Amsoil, when we cut one open, we found that the extra 1.5" was indeed functional, giving us that much more filter surface area.

One word of caution; on non-lifted Tacoma's and I would assume that the same is true of 4Runners, the longer filter is just long enough to be a Class-A pain in the butt to get out of the engine compartment. If you have a couple of inches of lift, it works great, but many at stock height stick with the stock length filter.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jx94148
Just because its longer dosen't necessarilly mean that there is more filter material inside. There might be but there is no way to be sure without disecting one like this guy does. .
Matt-

I've read that article, too, some time ago. Good point about the length issue. How about for the sake of science, I'll cut open a couple of filters and report back with some pics? I'll probably use the napa gold filters as my test specimens, since they are resonably priced and are actually a good filter. As the article points out, napa filters are made by Wick's and are a good product. I may go a head and cut open a Motorcraft, too, becaust they are also top notch.

WATRD-

Glad you chimed in, too. Like I said before, I did try taking putting the longer one on and off my 4Runner, which is stock height. I thought it was alot easier to get on that the short one. Since the short ones are also a pain to get off, especially ehn the have oil in them, this one will probably be similar. I guess the question then is the added increase in filter area worth the couple of minutes of inconvience while removing/installing it?

Thanks to everyone for the interest in this topic. I really would like some more input. If you think I'm completely wrong, please don't be afraid to speak your mind. I'll post more info next week after I cut up a couple of filters.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Away

I just wanted to post in this thread because I changed my oil today. I had 10,500 miles on my Royal Purple and even though it still looked good, I wanted to try the larger filter at the same time.

I used a WIX 51516.

Thanks for the info Jayson.

Dr. Z
Old 02-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

How was it putting the new one on, compared to the shorter, "stock" filters? Just curious if you had any trouble in case there are differences in that area of the frame thru the years.

And you are certainly welcome, Galen.

Old 02-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Away

It was about the same as putting the stock one on I guess. They're both kind of a PITA I think. I suppose there's a tighter clearance issue with the longer filter, but nothing that really bothered me. It sure looks better on there than that tiny stock filter. It seems so much more substantial. I always thought it looked too small.

Peace.
Dr. Z
Old 02-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Glad you weren't cussing me (too much) while you were installing it...LOL.

I guess I should really cut open a few of these some day and report back. I'm such a slacker
Old 02-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Away

Yeah really Jayson. You are the poster boy for Slackers.

hehe
Dr. Z
Old 02-24-2004, 10:36 AM

I have two questions about using a larger filter..

1. My girlfriends dad was telling me that a larger filter takes longer to fill when you start it, so that is hard on the engine. I know some if not all filters have anti-flowback valves. Are these supposed to stop that? If they don't it seems to me a larger filter would be worse than the smaller ones. Also, will the larger filters require you to use more oil when you refill your engine then the stock ones? 1/4 a quart or more?

2. Won't a larger filter mean more oil is going to run out when you replace it? I have been fiddling with finding a way to keep the oil in my filter from running down my block and pooling on top of my front diff when I unscrew it. Has anyone tried to drive up on some blocks on just the passenger side to tip the filter up more so more oil drains out?

I never thought of the bypass valve opening becuase the filter is plugged before I change my oil, so I want to make sure that isn't happening anymore, by maybe using a larger filter.

Erich
Old 02-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Away

The myth your girlfriend's dad is speaking about started with the old style filters and Ford engines. I can't imagine a modern oil filter without an anti-drainback valve. You've probably noticed, when you remove an oil filter, how much oil drains out of said filter when you remove it. This same oil prevents a pressure loss when you start the car since the filter is already filled with oil.

As for the extra oil you have to add to make up for the extra volume that the larger filter provides, that is a good thing since more oil can carry more contaminents with a lower concentration per volume. It's not like we're over filling the oil system. We've just increased it's capacity a little bit. And what about a bypass system? Those typically increase the oil system capacity by at least 1 quart and usually more. More oil system capacity is a god thing, within reason.

What I usually do when changing the filter, is remove the skid plates first thing. Then, put down some newspaper and my catch pan underneath the driver's side lower control arm. Then, I SLOWLY loosen the filter and let the pressure release from it and wait a bit for it to drain as much as possible. I wait 2-3 minutes at least. Then spin it the rest of the way off and try to keep it as upright as possible when removing it. Some inevitably leaks out, but that's the way it goes. By removing the skids first, cleanup time is reduced as well as the size of the mess.

Hope this helps.
G
Old 02-24-2004, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it really necessary? I'm not a mechanic but it seemes to me that if there is so much contamination in your oil that an extra bit of filter is a good thing, you have bigger problems. My engine has 193000 and I cut my last oil filter apart, it was covered in oil not bits of metal or anything. Am I missing something?

Lamm
Old 02-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Away

By providing a larger filtration surface, more particles can be removed since there is a larger surface for them to cling to.

It doesn't matter if the engine is pristine or not, ALL oil gets dirty and ALL oil carries contaminents in it.

More filter area is a good thing.

G
Old 02-24-2004, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago
The myth your girlfriend's dad is speaking about started with the old style filters and Ford engines. I can't imagine a modern oil filter without an anti-drainback valve. You've probably noticed, when you remove an oil filter, how much oil drains out of said filter when you remove it. This same oil prevents a pressure loss when you start the car since the filter is already filled with oil.

What I usually do when changing the filter, is remove the skid plates first thing. Then, put down some newspaper and my catch pan underneath the driver's side lower control arm. Then, I SLOWLY loosen the filter and let the pressure release from it and wait a bit for it to drain as much as possible. I wait 2-3 minutes at least. Then spin it the rest of the way off and try to keep it as upright as possible when removing it. Some inevitably leaks out, but that's the way it goes. By removing the skids first, cleanup time is reduced as well as the size of the mess.

Hope this helps.
G
Ok, that makes sence. I forgot that when my filter is still seated on the block the oil is still inside, I was thinking the oil that did come out was just oil that didn't drain back into the pan because of a lack of holes on the bottom, but that's stupid . I agree with you on having more oil is better. I was just making sure that we should go by the dip stick reading to keep up with the extra need of oil.

Thanks,

Erich
Old 02-24-2004, 03:28 PM

When I change my oil I just grab my funnel and a peice of garden hose I cut up and slide it on the end of the funnel. I wedge the funnel with the hose underneath the filter and unscrew it letting the oil drain into the pan. Sure beats spending time to take the skid plates off. I dunno how that would work with a 3.4 though.

Sounds like Ill be going with a 1516 filter next time

Last edited by cruizin01; 02-24-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Away

That's an excelent idea Cruizin'! I'll have to give that a shot.

And, YW Erich.

Peace.
G

Quick Reply: Does size matter?