Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Does this cat. converter look bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Does this cat. converter look bad?

Changed the cat on my 99 2.7 today.
Its a federal emissions truck with one cat and two 02 sensors.
I've been randomly popping a P0420 code a few times the past couple months and finally got around to replacing the cat.

Note, I did have more then a couple times when I could smell the rotten egg sulfur smell from inside the cab..

Cant remember if this is the inlet or outlet.. But you can see the light in the very middle..

Opposite side, can't see the light..

The catacombs on one side..

I was expecting to see it a little more black and dirty..
So what do y'all think?
Was my cat toast?

Old 11-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sure does look like it
Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, did changing it fix your problem?

Also, any noise when you shake it? Any evidence of perforation? I'm no expert, but a little light through the honeycomb seems reasonable given that all the exhaust gas has to go through. That said, the fact that it looks good, doesn't guarantee it wasn't toast; the smell and the code are a pretty good indictment--beyond doubt if the code is now fixed.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:07 PM

Out of curiosity, what cat did you replace it with?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I can see a few thicker spots. and the edges are a little chunky.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks fine to me. And I've seen a bad cat before. Mine was a total disaster when I removed it from my 88. Major meltage. I'd of been plenty happy to have seen it in as good of shape as that. I removed the damaged catalyst block piece by piece and left the other one intact. Then bolted it back on. I don't need a functioning cat though like you do. No smog regs where I live, and no codes to worry about on an 88

That code seems to be very prevalent these days. Not just on Toyotas either. All makes of vehicles across the country. Had it earlier this year on my 98 Monte Carlo. Had the code dleared and it hasn't resurfaced in the last 9 months.

My guess is that some poor quality gas was let loose by a certain refinery. Who knows which, but that code's been popping up everywhere lately. Within the last year or so.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Looks fine to me. And I've seen a bad cat before. Mine was a total disaster when I removed it from my 88. Major meltage. I'd of been plenty happy to have seen it in as good of shape as that. I removed the damaged catalyst block piece by piece and left the other one intact. Then bolted it back on. I don't need a functioning cat though like you do. No smog regs where I live, and no codes to worry about on an 88

That code seems to be very prevalent these days. Not just on Toyotas either. All makes of vehicles across the country. Had it earlier this year on my 98 Monte Carlo. Had the code dleared and it hasn't resurfaced in the last 9 months.

My guess is that some poor quality gas was let loose by a certain refinery. Who knows which, but that code's been popping up everywhere lately. Within the last year or so.
Interesting. I had a random P0420 in July--cleared it and haven't seen it since. I thought it was because I'd been driving through a big park on a Sunday at a steady 15mph for maybe 25 minutes when it happened, but it could have been the gas.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by J.R.U
sure does look like it
What makes you come to that conclusion?

Originally Posted by TheDurk
Well, did changing it fix your problem?

Also, any noise when you shake it? Any evidence of perforation? I'm no expert, but a little light through the honeycomb seems reasonable given that all the exhaust gas has to go through. That said, the fact that it looks good, doesn't guarantee it wasn't toast; the smell and the code are a pretty good indictment--beyond doubt if the code is now fixed.
I could of swore when I first ripped it out that there was a bit of noise when I shook it up. However, it could have been just a bit of dirt stuck between it and the cage. I'd have to verify.
Perforation as in?
The code has been fairly intermittent. It popped up about 4 times within the past 1.5 months. But, it hasn't popped up in about 2-3 weeks..

Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
Out of curiosity, what cat did you replace it with?
this :
http://www.converterwarehouse.com/ca...oductID=151273

Originally Posted by vital22re
I can see a few thicker spots. and the edges are a little chunky.
Gotcha..

Originally Posted by MudHippy

Viable explanation for sure.
But the code had popped up a few time within the span of 2 weeks.. so I ordered the cat..
Its been staring at me for a few weeks now so I figured it couldn't hurt.
I'll keep this old one around just in case though.

Thanks for all the insight so far, guys!

Old 11-05-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
"looks" good, certainly not clogged. And I agree, I would've thought it would've been a little darker myself.

the edges don't seem to look right to me either though. Kinda like they are torn from the sides a little? Maybe leading some exhaust to "bypass" the "combs" tripping that code?

Bad gas as MudHippy could be an issue too as well.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
they didn't complain about shipping a non-cali cat to cali..

some companies won't do it..
Old 11-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Perforation? I meant to say: Any holes in the can?
Did you replace the rear sensor first? I hope so....
Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
"looks" good, certainly not clogged. And I agree, I would've thought it would've been a little darker myself.

the edges don't seem to look right to me either though. Kinda like they are torn from the sides a little? Maybe leading some exhaust to "bypass" the "combs" tripping that code?

Bad gas as MudHippy could be an issue too as well.
Thats just the way that screen was cast on there AFAI could tell..

Originally Posted by Outsane
they didn't complain about shipping a non-cali cat to cali..

some companies won't do it..
Shipped it to my mom in Texas. Had her bring it back when she flew home the next week.

Originally Posted by TheDurk
Perforation? I meant to say: Any holes in the can?
Did you replace the rear sensor first? I hope so....
No holes in the assembly.
I'm going to be doing the rear 02 next.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM

I am pulling my engine in about a week and I can't wait to see the horror story that my cat is looking like. I have, more than likely, burnt exhaust valves and about 80 compression in one of the cylinders both wet and dry. I'm using oil like crazy and my CEL is more like a map light because that sucker is always on. Right now my cat sounds like it's got marbles of clogged carbon bouncing around inside there. Sorry Scuba...not trying to thread jack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4WvgC__g7w