Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Does Anyone Know If This Works

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Anyone Know If This Works

I had put this thread on before, but i guess it was removed. I have a 2004 sport with a v6 and i saw this on ebay for my car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33597

Does anyone know if this works, or would this just be a complete waste of money

Please advise
Old 10-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

waste of $
Old 10-26-2004, 11:14 AM

Your probably right, i was just looking for an upgrade that would improve power. Know of anything?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebay ad
1988 to 2004 Models.Motor size and Transmition does not matter.
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from someone selling a car product that can't spell "transmission."
Old 10-26-2004, 11:15 AM

Funny, didn't even notice that. Guess i can't either
Old 10-26-2004, 11:16 AM

No it doesnt
Old 10-26-2004, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

stick to the proven products such as exhaust, headers (unfortunately don't have any available for the 4th gens), SC, air intake (some not all).

Good luck! Performance is never cheap so if they're selling it for next to nothing, think again.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:27 AM

thanks for the heads up. This is my first new car so, as to be expected i want to throw isht on it to make it stand out alittle .. I will beware of shady products.

In addition i heard that the K&N was a waste of money as well. Any imput on that
Old 10-26-2004, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Do you have 4WD? Tell us more about your plans with the rig...
Old 10-26-2004, 11:34 AM

Yup, it is a 4wd. It has all the bells and whistles. Got the upgraded stereo tinted it, put on the wind guards and removed the side "sport edition" emblems. Ya know, for a clean look. I want to keep the stock rims but put bigger tires on. As for performance, i was looking to start with something minor like a chip or intake and exhaust. My only issue is, is that it is leased. And anything i put on i will have to take off.

As far as push guards, i was debating a bull or safari bar. With the piaa 510's for a little extra something.

This may sound weird, but i want to try to make the hood scoop functional. Anything for that.

Oh, and il love this truck.. The look from guys in jeeps and explorers are priceless. I almost went the jeep route b/c they are practically giving them away b/c of the new body style. But man, i couldn't be happier with this rig. I look at it every night. Oh and it is in the mica blue with grey interior
Old 10-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

If you are in a fleece - I mean lease - then I wouldn't screw with the scoop too much. As you have already stated, everything is gonna have to go back to stock unless you plan on keeping it after the lease. A chip isn't gonna do you much good either. Waste of $$ too.

I would start with intake and exhaust, then go from there.

If you plan on wheeling it, avoid an open K&N unless you put a "sock" on it.

I don't see the point of a bull bar or similar personally, but that is up to you.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:42 AM

Fleece.. lol. i got it for a really good price though.. 2000 down an 370 a month for 39 with 15000 miles.

As far as the push bar. what is your prob with it. just curious.

Oh, and can you activate the hill decent control in 4wd high, or does it have to be in low. the salesman at the shop didn't know isht from his elbow. It was pathetic
Old 10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Christian sums it up nicely, since it is a lease, I'd just stick to an exhaust. I wouldn't bother too much with the intake though as they haven't been that effective from alot of users (more hassle than anything else).

Getting a cat back exhaust would be bolt on so it'll be easy to do. Maybe look into some nice wheels and call it a day since you already have a clean 4runner to begin with

Good luck
Old 10-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chunderboy
Fleece.. lol. i got it for a really good price though.. 2000 down an 370 a month for 39 with 15000 miles.

As far as the push bar. what is your prob with it. just curious.

Oh, and can you activate the hill decent control in 4wd high, or does it have to be in low. the salesman at the shop didn't know isht from his elbow. It was pathetic
Well, I am not here to give you financial advice because you didn't ask for it, so I will put my foot in my mouth about leases What's done is done, and congrats on your purchase.

Anyway, I guess I just don't see why you want a bull bar. I would like to see what you have in mind though. So do some looking and post what you have in mind. I think I would just be leary about spending a bunch of money on mods that don't have a whole lot of bang for the buck on a vehicle that I was going to give back. That's basically why I sound critical.

I know what you mean about the salespeople. I just shake my head at some of them. I don't know much about the 4th gens, so I can't answer your descent question. Someone will though.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:49 AM

Not to sound like a newb (even though i am) what is a good exhaust to use. And what is a cat back exhaust and how does it differ from a regular one.

One other question. If i were to put in a diff sub in a box for the trunk of the car, would that void the electric warrenty..

And one more thing. My car didn't come with the running lights. should i get them, and how hard is it to install what needs to be.

Thanks for the help fellas, really appreciate it
Old 10-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Warranties are only voided if the "mod" directly caused the failure of the item. Dealers like to think otherwise, but you are protected under an act that we can dig up for you if that time arises. In other words, an intake will not void your warranty if the rear diff explodes.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:56 AM

lol. that would suck if that happened at 80mph.

Now. I have managed to get a couple of small scratches in the paint. ( i know i am obsessing) is there a good way to apply the factory paint to it so it won't look like i put it on?
Old 10-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

The dealer sells paint pens that work ok. However, a good eye will always be able to see a shadetree touch up job.

The only way to make it perfect is to have the area repainted by a pro.

Look at my paint in the sun sometime and you will forget about your two scratches, guaranteed!

PS: Can you click on the "My 4Runner" link in my sig and tell me if the picture pops up? For some reason it is not working from my work computer...

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 10-26-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:06 PM

I totally hear you on that. My last xterra looked like i went over it with an SOS pad.

Man did i hate that car. it managed to drink more gas than my 4runner with an engine that had basically 65 bhp less.

Have you noticed that the new pathfinder has the hill decent and hill start assist as options now. The funny thing is that it comes standard on ours, but it costs extra for them.

The only thing that bothers me is that the pathfinder comes with 270bhp. We only have 245
Old 10-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chunderboy
I totally hear you on that. My last xterra looked like i went over it with an SOS pad.
Well mine isn't that bad! But having a dark color here in AZ pinstripe country is tough, let me tell you.

Griot's car care products has kept my paint in the best condition possible, but I just cant avoid those pesky scratches.

Did you click my link for me?

Quick Reply: Does Anyone Know If This Works