Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do they all shake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:21 AM
BBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they all shake?

Bought an '05 Limited 2WD V6 4Runner for the wife three months ago.

Since then, we have been to the dealer three times for vibration/shaking. They have replaced one tire and balanced/rotated/etc...everything they could think of and kept it and drove it a few days.

Each time we get it back they tell us "rides smoother than any other one we have now...you'll love it" Then on the way home the thing will still have vibrations. I can tell the tires are running smooth as silk, so it's not that anyway.

It's multiple vibrations. One is coming from the TCC locking up (by design) and loading down the motor under some speeds (that one doesn't bother us). The vibration that does bother feels like the body simply does not having any firmness and oscillating when the right speeds/road texture/etc occur. (Reminds me of my old corvette when I drove with the top off) BTW: It does not have the ride control stuff, just basic suspension with 17" wheels (all stock).

Is there something I can do to make this not noticeable? Something to strengthen the chassis maybe or install better isolation bushings? My wife loves the car, she always has wanted a 4Runner so she doesnt mind so much but it drives me nuts knowing how much I just spent on this thing.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:42 AM

What kind of tires does it have on it. When I bought my runner(an 03 sport) it had the dunlops on it. After several trips back to the dealer they ended up buying me 5 new cross terrains and have not had a problem since. Stick with it and make the dealer make it right for you.

Good luck
Shawn
Old 10-31-2005, 01:54 PM
Nic

I have to agree with Shawn. I would be willing to bet that the tires are to blame. The previous owner put new Dunlops on my truck when I bought it. I never could solve the shake and bought 4 Michelins and haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyota2
What kind of tires does it have on it. When I bought my runner(an 03 sport) it had the dunlops on it. After several trips back to the dealer they ended up buying me 5 new cross terrains and have not had a problem since. Stick with it and make the dealer make it right for you.

Good luck
Shawn
my mom has an 05 Limited 4R 4wd V-6. She insisted on Cross Terrains and with 15k on the clock she couldn't be happier.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:08 PM

My '03 has Michelins on it and they vibrate too. However, they only do it with the tires in a particular place on the car. I do my own tire rotations every 5000 miles and use the same rotation cycle each time (LR->RF, RF->LF, LF->RR, RR->spare, spare->LR). This results in 5 different tire configurations which repeat every 25K. I've noticed that there's one configuration that causes a vibration. All of the others are fine.

Just for grins, you might want to try rotating your tires to see if it goes away.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:36 PM
BBA

Thanks for all the advice.

I am considering rotating front to back on each side just to see if I can nail it down to one tire.

I believe you all about what brand of tires, I have the factory standard Dunlop sport 17" . The other tires they use were GoodYear, and I have had nothing but crappy tires from Goodyear.

Now I am reconsidering the tires for life thing...if they can't do michellins when I take it back, I'll go with a totally different brand by myself.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Nic

I traded the Dunlops for the Michelin LTX M/Ss. There is no comparison in ride quality. They are a bit pricey, but they are good tires. Several people (on this forum), including a coworker have claimed to have put over 100,000 miles on a set. I've got a few more miles to go before I can make that claim, but the ride is superb.

I know there are other good tires out there. Just wanted to mention that one if case you have to go "tire shopping".