Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do I need a starter kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need a starter kit?

I am having more frequent strating problem lately. When I crank the ignition the first time during colder weather, the starter won't not crank at all. There is no dimming on any light, radio, & all accessory are running ok. There is absolutely no cranking sound, except very very faint whining sound. It is type of constant whining, not like cranking sound. If I re-crank ignition, without back my key all the way out (only back from starting to access. position on ignition, not all the way back to key insertion point), it will remain the same, no dimming, no cranking sound, except faint whining sound. But if I back my key all the way to the original insertion position, re-crank from that position, most of time it will work. When it work, starter would crank without any hesitation. It will crank very smooth.

It started happening around 3-4 months ago, & it happen very few time, only in colder weather in the morning, when car has not been run for a long time. Until last couple week, it got worse. Before last couple week, if I re-crank the second time, use above method, it will started without any problem. Last couple week, I have to re-crank it 2-3 time to get it going.

I will check my battery voltage tonight, after disconnet negative. To ensure it get around 12.6v. My battery is an orange Optima, which I replaced it @ around 50k. My 4runner is currently around 97k.

I really don't want to take my starter apart, until there is really reasonable suspicion really starter problem. I probably could handle re-kit, but probably nothing more than that.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:37 AM

Anyone?

Old 01-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds to me like its time to rebuild it. Mine was doing something similar last year. The worst part is getting the starter off and back on the truck. There sre several old threads on here about it, and I believe there are a couple of write-ups in the tech section. Also, Roger Brown has some good info (and the parts) on his site:

http://www.4crawler.com/

I picked up the parts at my local dealership for around $13-14.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:33 AM

I actually tackled the rebuild yesterday. Mine was doing the same thing you describe, except the "whining" sound. It would just click the first time and then start on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.
The rebuild isn't the hard part, it was removing the starter in the first place. Make sure you have some extensions and a U-joint for your sockets. It still only took me 3hours total, once you get it out it goes faster. My contacts were really dirty and worn, I'm surprised it even started at all.
I used the writeup in the tech section here on good ole Yotatech!
If yours is automatic, I'd do it so you don't get stranded somewhere, we can't exactly bump start it.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RobT2k
I actually tackled the rebuild yesterday. Mine was doing the same thing you describe, except the "whining" sound. It would just click the first time and then start on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.
The rebuild isn't the hard part, it was removing the starter in the first place. Make sure you have some extensions and a U-joint for your sockets. It still only took me 3hours total, once you get it out it goes faster. My contacts were really dirty and worn, I'm surprised it even started at all.
I used the writeup in the tech section here on good ole Yotatech!
If yours is automatic, I'd do it so you don't get stranded somewhere, we can't exactly bump start it.
What he said...
It took me about the same amount of time. Over 2 hours removing and reinstalling the starter, and less than an hour to rebuild it.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:32 AM

Thanks, I will get a re-build kit asap.