Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

DIY- PCV Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY- PCV Catch Can

Anyone ever though of making a catch can? Dont feel like shelling out 50bucks for a TRD knockoff on ebay? Well here's a solution!

http://www.angelfire.com/sc/cosmo/MR2_PCV2.html
Old 10-27-2004, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

very nice!

Man I wish I would have thought of doing something like this to my old Saab 900, it would go about a month then you had to clean the intake and tbody, or it would idle very high or very low! Nice work! Matt
Old 10-27-2004, 08:31 AM

The DSM crowd has been doing this for years. In my last DSM, I used a Pepsi bottle. Others have spent the time to make nice ones like the one you show.

Very easy DIY project.

Now a question. Are the 4Runners known to need a Catch-can? Should I consider putting one in?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah the All-trac club has been doing the catch can mods for a long time. I bought a power steering reservoir from a DSM, which has a little filter in it, and am going to install it upside down and to make it my catch can. (haven't installed it yet) Only $10 off of ebay!

Here is a pic of the "can"

The bottom hose carries the "oil soaked air" into the can, then the clean air goes back to the intake.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Yeah the All-trac club has been doing the catch can mods for a long time. I bought a power steering reservoir from a DSM, which has a little filter in it, and am going to install it upside down and to make it my catch can. (haven't installed it yet) Only $10 off of ebay!

Here is a pic of the "can"

The bottom hose carries the "oil soaked air" into the can, then the clean air goes back to the intake.

Awesome i might go pick one up.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
Man I wish I would have thought of doing something like this to my old Saab 900, it would go about a month then you had to clean the intake and tbody, or it would idle very high or very low! Nice work! Matt
ah, ha! maybe that's what's happing to my saab 900. in the morning when i start it up, it oscillates between idling at 500 and 2000. it makes it a real pain to back out of the garage. i just cleaned the TB about a month ago, maybe it's just full of crap again.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:03 PM

forgive me but what is the purpose for this?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
forgive me but what is the purpose for this?
Your Positive Crankcase Valve or PCV vents excess crankcase pressure and oil vapor into your intake. This mod removes the intake component and instead catches the oil vapor in a can that can be cleaned out.

There are several plusses to this mod, including a cleaner intake.

Back in the old days, before you were born, the PCV dumped out to the atmposphere, usually to a hose that dropped down out of the engine compartment. If you look at photos of major highways/freeways from the 60's and 70's, you will see that all the lanes have a black stripe running down the middle of them. Much of that was from PCV oil vapor being deposited on the roads as cars drove over them. Now days you don't seen that black stripe as much, certainly it is not as dramatic as it used to be.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by WATRD
Your Positive Crankcase Valve or PCV vents excess crankcase pressure and oil vapor into your intake. This mod removes the intake component and instead catches the oil vapor in a can that can be cleaned out.

There are several plusses to this mod, including a cleaner intake.

Back in the old days, before you were born, the PCV dumped out to the atmposphere, usually to a hose that dropped down out of the engine compartment. If you look at photos of major highways/freeways from the 60's and 70's, you will see that all the lanes have a black stripe running down the middle of them. Much of that was from PCV oil vapor being deposited on the roads as cars drove over them. Now days you don't seen that black stripe as much, certainly it is not as dramatic as it used to be.

thank you for your detailed explanation w/examples Dr. Rob =)
Old 10-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
thank you for your detailed explanation w/examples Dr. Rob =)
You are welcome.

You can see the stripe I am talking about in this old photo;

It scares me that I can easily remember those days.

These guys are doing a good thing by catching the vapor, not just removing the intake portion and venting it to the outside world.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

So this is more of an ecological mod as opposed to a performance mod?
I'm a bit confused...
Old 10-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Yes it is Peter. I had a thread going a while back where I vented into the engine compartment. Not only did I not notice a gain in power, but it stunk every now and then at idle (like raw exhaust). No thanks, it went back to stock.

This is a cool idea. I might do it.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

What fwy is that. The 105 interchange with the 605?

or the 5fwy with the 210?
Old 10-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kevin444
What fwy is that. The 105 interchange with the 605?

or the 5fwy with the 210?
No idea. I found it during a Google search for old freeway photos. There was no further identification.

Quite the interchange
Old 10-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
So this is more of an ecological mod as opposed to a performance mod?
I'm a bit confused...
The removing of the PCV connection to the intake has potential performance implications because you are getting rid of the low octane oil vapor that had been diluting the fuel mix. However, adding a catch can instead of venting the pressure to the atmosphere is a nice added touch designed to be more environmentally concious and to keep the oil from being deposited on the underside of your rig.

When they first started "recirculating" the oil vapor, there were some engines that counted on a certain amount of it to keep the engine lubricated, but that did such lousy things to emissions that I don't think any engine requires that the PCV be vented into the intake anymore. It's just a convenient way to relieve pressure in a relatively maintanance free way. Plus, there is not a lot of oil coming out of the PCV in modern engines.

I had thought of removing the intake part of the equation, but hadn't thought of the catch can, so I am glad to see this thread pop up It will be fun to see how much oil actually accumulates in there.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Why don't we just get a barbed 3-way brass hose fitting "turned down" and rig it up that way?

In fact, I am going to do that. Not sure what my catch can will be, but I will figure that out while browsing through HD.

I will post pics of course.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Might I suggest a Nalgene Canister for a catch can? Mucho bling. http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

Old 10-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gapguy
Might I suggest a Nalgene Canister for a catch can? Mucho bling. http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

Thats a pretty good idea too. I was thinking of swirling some vacuum hose so that the vapors have a long way before it exits the can.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Why don't we just get a barbed 3-way brass hose fitting "turned down" and rig it up that way?

In fact, I am going to do that. Not sure what my catch can will be, but I will figure that out while browsing through HD.

I will post pics of course.

HD ROCKS!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Will that REI can withstand intense heat?

The summers here in PHX could eat one of those alive (depending on the material I guess).

Quick Reply: DIY- PCV Catch Can