Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

disadvantages of supercharging a 3.4 ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disadvantages of supercharging a 3.4 ????

I've searched and read all I can over the last few days, but I still don't have a clear answer to my questions. What are the downsides to supercharging a 3.4? How bad does mileage suffer versus stock? What does it do to overall dependability of the motor? How does it affect emissions? How many extra things do you need to buy to really make it run correctly (or is the supercharger alone enough)? Does it hurt the motor any to pull trailers?

I'm very seriously thinking about buying a 1998-ish 4Runner and immediately supercharging it. It would be used mostly as a daily driver, occasionally tow a trailer up to 4000# and of course occasionally be taken offroad.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:09 PM

What do you think it does to overall longevity? More stress-shorter life. It depends on a lot of things though. How hard to you drive it? How well do you maintain it? There are dozens of variables to consider.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:24 PM

The disadvantages are the extra things to make it run right. Most find that the engine will run lean. Detonation, knock, and ping are all bad symtoms. So, buying the TRD 7th injector or all new injectors and the URD kit would be wise unless you live at a very high alltitude. In that case you might be alright. This is why I have not bought one, too many extras needed that cost too much money.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:30 PM

premium only fuel...$$$
Old 05-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

The TRD S/C makes the engine run a little too lean IMHO and in most peoples opinions. When it runs lean it runs hot. You get Det and ping. You'll also have to run premium gas. But if your going to spend a grand on a S/C premium gas is a small price to pay.

To fix the running lean problem URD makes a wonderful kit. It will take care of everything for you and you wont have no worries. Only problem, the kit is a little pricey, but its definately worth it IMHO. Here is a link to URD site. www.urdusa.com

the kit i'm talking out is part # 0001 its called Tacoma, 4Runner & Tundra 5VZ-FE 3.4L Supercharger Performance Kit

For some really really good information on everything that is superchargers User Gaget is the man to speak too. He even has a webpage where you pretty much learn all there is to know about the TRD Supercharger for the 3.4

Your can find that here. http://www.gadgetonline.com/4Run.htm
If you scroll down to the bottom you'll see a link for supercharge information.

Good luck let us know how it works out.

Last edited by CynicX; 05-23-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:11 PM

Good information guys, thank you, especially CynicX for the links. I know this stuff is common sense to a lot of you, but when you've lived and breathed ZR2 pickups your whole like, it sure isn't!
Old 05-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by knaffie
Good information guys, thank you, especially CynicX for the links. I know this stuff is common sense to a lot of you, but when you've lived and breathed ZR2 pickups your whole like, it sure isn't!
I probably know as much as you and if I do know more then everything I've learned was from Gagetonline.com ...

If you look on that URD website they offer the blower AND performance kit for 2100...that seems like a pretty good deal considering the performance kit is 963.0 that makes the S/C around 1200. Thats not a bad price if thats a brand new S/C they are selling you.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

oh and that includes and auto tensioner....

oh man if I wasnt in the process of buying a new house I would be all over that.

hmmm kinda sounds like I work for them, but I assure you I dont. Check EBay for S/C prices before you commit to anything, if you dont have one already lined up.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

I am in the process of supercharging my 96. And when I say "process" I really mean process. Because this is not a bolt-on affair. It takes a lot of little things and proper tuning devices and techniques to get it to run right. The 97 I just sold had a 2nd gen supercharger on it for 90K miles with NO fuel/tuning mods. It ran like a champ after I pulled the SC'r off at 197K miles. Of course, the previous owner drove it easy and mostly on the highway...so I am sure that had something to do with it. It pinged pretty bad with the SC'r and no mods...but it was still very powerful.

At an absolute minimum, you should do the following:

170 thermo from NAPA (do the Redline Water Wetter mod and flush while you are at it) $30

Walbro 190 $90

2-step colder plugs $20

Free FMU mod (if you have the boost gauge it might cost a couple bucks)

Dynamic tensioner $60

You will also want to get some type of tuning device like the SMT6 or FTC. If you get one of those, you are going to need a scanner like a BR3 and a laptop to tune it. It is also recommended that you get bigger injectors.

So you can see how this stuff adds up pretty quickly. I am going to chance things a little and try to run it with the Thermo, Walbro, and 2-step colder plugs. If it detonates, then I will be forced to get the FTC or SMT and the BR3. We shall see!

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 05-23-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:34 PM

If you want a supercharged motor without haven't to worry too much, you'll need to upgrade to forged pistons and rods, and possibly the crank. And the fuel system, custom tune, and if a company offers a stronger block then go for that too, unless you plan on running low boost.

Youll also have to use premium fuel, unless you run like 5-6 psi on a really safe tune, but its highly suggested to run premium. colder plugs like mentioned before.

emissions wise, as long as you have cats you'll be "fine" you can pass most of the time without cats.

The more hp and trq, the more stress on the motor. But from the looks of it, Toyota makes a damn good motor. But if your really serious about making power, you gotta upgrade.

Last edited by Mudfreak; 05-23-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mudfreak
If you want a supercharged motor without haven't to worry too much, you'll need to upgrade to forged pistons and rods, and possibly the crank. And the fuel system, custom tune, and if a company offers a stronger block then go for that too, unless you plan on running low boost.
which motor are you talking about?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
which motor are you talking about?

I dont know much about Toyota motors, but I do know that if you want to make serious boost on a Mustang, youll need to upgrade the pistons and rods. The hypo crap Ford uses now blows.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Also as far as your motor blowing up, it wont blow up any easier then it will now. If everything is installed properly.

If you have more power, you wont have to accel as hard. It evens its self out. If you drive around all day feeling the new power and flooring it everywhere then it will shorten engine life.

There are a TON of people on this forum with S/C and I've have yet to read about one blowing a motor up (I havent read every single post though). Alot of those people have NO fuel mods either. So with the fuel mods and a good install I wouldnt even begin to worry about it.

MPG will go down a little. But from reading its not all THAT bad. 1-3 mpg maybe? I dunno but I do know its not too bad....This falls back on the, you dont need to accel as hard to get the truck going, since it has more power.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:55 PM

I'm kinda doubting I need new pistons, crank, block, etc. if its from TRD and retains warranty if a stealership puts it on. Am I correct in understanding the warranty thing?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by knaffie
I'm kinda doubting I need new pistons, crank, block, etc. if its from TRD and retains warranty if a stealership puts it on. Am I correct in understanding the warranty thing?

Like I said, you don't need forged internals if you run low boost and tune the motor.

Remember, you can always run rich, but run lean once or twice, then boom!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mudfreak
I dont know much about Toyota motors, but I do know that if you want to make serious boost on a Mustang, youll need to upgrade the pistons and rods. The hypo crap Ford uses now blows.
If you are going to run serious boost on anything you need you upgrade the internals. but there are guys running huge amounts of boost on stock 302 rods
Old 05-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Supra TT's can run amazing amounts of HP and boost without upgraded internals...
Old 05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Supra TT's can run amazing amounts of HP and boost without upgraded internals...
330hp stock not sure what they are running for boost
Old 05-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DudeBud
330hp stock not sure what they are running for boost
320 stock, and I cannot remember their stock boost psi. It is not uncommon to see one modified to somewhere between 500 - 1000HP on the stock bottom end. Sweet!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

if i was you I wouldnt push large amounts of boost through it. If one day you have excess money and want to upgrade the internals then yeah you can bump up the boost...but these gains you are seeing on most websites...i dunno 50 hp? are all on stock boost...

The TRD S/C is the ONLY mod that will give you that much HP for that much money.

If you are into fab work you MIGHT be able to work a turbo into it. But I seriously doubt you can pull it off for the same price.

Quick Reply: disadvantages of supercharging a 3.4 ????