See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

disabling traction control

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disabling traction control

I believe that I have found a way to disable the traction control on my 2003 4runner. I have the manuals, including the electrical. When the centre differential lock switch is pressed the locking motor starts running. When locking is completed a signal is sent back to the 4wd ecu. Once the 4wd ecu receives this confirmation it stops sending a positive 8-12 volt dc signal to the skid control ecu. Inserting a normally closed single pole switch into this wire should enable you to deactivate the vsc and traction control without engaging the centre differential lock.

The skid control ecu is located under the dash on the drivers side, beside the parking brake. It has 4 connectors, lined up almost vertically. The connector is the third one down, the wire is on the same side as the hold in clip, the third hole down. It is red with a blue stripe.

To verify this is the correct wire use a digital multimeter, one lead on a ground point, the other will slide into the top of the connector. With the centre differential lock disengaged you should read between 8 and 12 volts dc. When the lock is engaged the voltage should drop to less than 2 volts dc.

I HAVE NOT cut this wire on my 4Runner yet. I know I can easily repair it by soldering and heatshrinking the joint but I am afraid that the repair would be obvious to anyone looking under the dash. I do not have a good relationship with my dealer, as a matter of fact, they are the reason that I have the manuals. i had a dispute with the salesman and the manuals are the dealerships attempt to shut me up.

If anyone feels lucky or has a good enough relationship with their dealer give it a try and let us know.