Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

disabled daytime running lights....now have a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disabled daytime running lights....now have a question

Hey whats up....i drive a 2002 4runner sr5 sport edition. I just disabled the daytime running lights on it by doing what it said on the article written by Ducky (cutting the wire in pin 2 on the relay harness). The lights dont run anymore during the day...but there is one thing. Everytime i start the 4runner up.....the blue high beam indicator light comes on and then turns back off. Sometimes it doesnt turn off....it just dims down really low. When it dims really low....i turn on my headlights and it turns off right away. Anyone have this problem? Why is it doing that and will it cause any problems?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:51 PM

Thats the only draw back to this mod. I did this mod a while back. If you pull the parking brake then let it out again it will turn off. If you turn your lights off when at a store or home and the light turns on, just pull the parking brake and release it and it should turn back off. Its nothing to worry about.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:46 AM

how long have u had this mod done for? i read that after a couple months....one guys light came on and stayed on no matter what he did. well at least its not gonna cause any problems....just a little annoying to look at. hahah
Old 08-25-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by jforjonathan
how long have u had this mod done for? i read that after a couple months....one guys light came on and stayed on no matter what he did. well at least its not gonna cause any problems....just a little annoying to look at. hahah
I did mine like late last year.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by HappyPills
I did mine like late last year.
cool, thanks bro. so how often does your hi beam indicator come on? most of the time mine just turns on and back off on its own only when i start the car.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

i have the same issue.

i think what you need to do is extend that wire and ground it.
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/electrical.html#fogmod

i know that'll make it so you can use your fog lights anytime, but i think it takes care of the hi-beam indicator problem too. i haven't done it yet, but someone who has let us know if that's the case.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

00 DRL Disable FTW. Just unplug that module.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by calrockx
i have the same issue.

i think what you need to do is extend that wire and ground it.
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/electrical.html#fogmod

i know that'll make it so you can use your fog lights anytime, but i think it takes care of the hi-beam indicator problem too. i haven't done it yet, but someone who has let us know if that's the case.
i cut my wire in pin #2 just like in the pic below. which end do i extend and ground? the one coming out of the plastic harness which plugs into the relay(#1 in the pic)...or the end that is coming from the main wiring (#2 in the pic)? if you figure something out let us know for sure!

HERE IS A LINK TO THE PICTURE
Old 08-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Banned

Im just wondering, what was the reason you guys disabled your DRLs?

I disabled mine because when I wheel and need a spotter,t he beam of the DRL always managed to hit the spotter int he eyes.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gangus2006

I disabled mine because when I wheel and need a spotter,t he beam of the DRL always managed to hit the spotter int he eyes.
i disabled mine so i can get hid's
Old 08-25-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gangus2006

You can't run from someone or hide with your headlights on. Yes, I know you could turn the truck off but how are you supposed to make a quick get away if your trucks not running.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jforjonathan
i cut my wire in pin #2 just like in the pic below. which end do i extend and ground? the one coming out of the plastic harness which plugs into the relay(#1 in the pic)...or the end that is coming from the main wiring (#2 in the pic)? if you figure something out let us know for sure!

HERE IS A LINK TO THE PICTURE
Don't ground it. Your not supposed too on 4runners and tacomas
Old 08-25-2005, 04:26 PM

You guy's crack me up!,Lol. What an excuess to start cutting wires. I don't have full time lights on mine so I keep them turned on and they go off when I turn off the truck and open the door. I do like the way they help other people see you pulling out or in low light day's or rainy day's. Mike
Old 08-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

i didn't mind mine at all, but once i put in my 90/110 headlights, there was buzzing under the hood. the DRLs were interferring somehow, so i cut the wire and the buzz stopped.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beartracker
You guy's crack me up!,Lol. What an excuess to start cutting wires. I don't have full time lights on mine so I keep them turned on and they go off when I turn off the truck and open the door. I do like the way they help other people see you pulling out or in low light day's or rainy day's. Mike
I totally agree and wish I had them on my 4Runner. After driving a motorcycle... I realized the the DRL's are almost a necessity if you want to be more noticeable. Some may ask,"How couldn't you see an SUV?" Well... I'm sure we all know some stupid accident stories to answer that question. I know they may be annoying sometimes... but OH WELL! They're there for a reason.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

The only thing I don't like is you can't park and run the engine without them on. Sometimes you want only the engine and the air conditioner on while kissing your girlfriend, don't need those lights to draw attention ya know???
Old 08-25-2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by DavidA
The only thing I don't like is you can't park and run the engine without them on. Sometimes you want only the engine and the air conditioner on while kissing your girlfriend, don't need those lights to draw attention ya know???
Makes me wonder why some Toyotas have the have DRL's and some don't. My 2001 SR-5 4x4 exten. cab doesn't have it but your 2002 4- runner has them. I can see your problem but I guess I would have to find a better place than my 4-Runner or maybe take her car for that,Lol.
As Keggo stated they are a good thing for what they were ment to do and that is to ad to the safety factor for everyone. Any dark vehical is hard to see in low light around here due to all the trees and curves. It really makes a difference for bikes! Mike
Old 08-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh heh... when the "kissing" thing is brought up... that IS a good point heh heh. It is weird that some Toyotas have them and some don't. You'd think that Toyota would want all their vehicles to have pretty much the same safety features. OH well... And yeah... the DRL's on bikes help A LOT. I always had my brights on when riding my bike. Though they were the "brights", they still weren't as bright as probably a cars low beams.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by HappyPills
Don't ground it. Your not supposed too on 4runners and tacomas
k i wont ground it. thanks man. i guess i'll just have to live with teh stupid light. i hope it doesnt get any worse....like be stuck on all the time.

and to all you other guys that are for the daytime running lights....thats cool. i know its a safety feature....and it will make it easier for people to see me on dark or rainy days, but im gonna get hids....and you cant have DRL with hid's. when its dark or rainy...i usually turn my lights on anyway
Old 08-25-2005, 08:49 PM

I think the reason some do and some don't has to do with local bylaws / insurance reg's. I remember reading awhile back, sorry i can't tell u where, that here in Vancouver it was to be made mandatory for vehicles manufactured after a certain date, to have DRL's. Makes sense, it rains pretty blindingly here sometimes.

Quick Reply: disabled daytime running lights....now have a question