Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dilema- Off-road tires/rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dilema- Off-road tires/rims

Here's the deal, I'm getting into off-roading, and my AT Deuler Revo's just aren't doing the trick, so I've been thinking about getting a set of aggressive off-road tires. I currently have the 265/75/16's on the stock rims. I will be getting a 2.5" lift done before I get new tires.

My questions are:
1) How many of you keep a second set of rims/tires, one for driving, one for off-roading?

2) With my lift, would it be worth purchasing some rims increase my options with different tire sizes, or should I be able to get decent off-road traction with the options available on the stock rim (Maybe 275's or 285's?).

3)For those off-roaders with stock rims, what tire did you go with, manufacturer, size, etc., would you recommend them to someone else?

Thanks for any imput!

-David
Old 04-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

David:

I'll be in the same boat as ya. But here's what I've learned.

Since I'll be gettin a lift soon, I know gettin beefier tires is important. This is what I've decided on. Some basic black steel wheels w/ some Bridgestone Duelers M/T.

The only reason why I'm gettin a separate set is because I'd like to be able to switch back to the store tires for long road trips that will not see any offroad terrain.

In stock trim, you should be able to get the 265/75/16 compared to the stock 265/70/16. But since you're getting a lift, I'd say get the 285's. Ofcourse you might experience some rubbing since not all 285's are all the same size.

Some people say not to put 285's on stock 16x7 wheels but I've seen alot of members here and elsewhere have no problems with em so the call is up to u.

Most common m/t's are either the BFG M/T or the Bridgestone Dueler M/T. Also the BFG A/T's are pretty popular but alot of owners say that they should have gotten the M/T's hehe...

You can't go wrong w/ gettin 285's for sure. The only option you'd have to think about what kind of tire you want and if you want to use your stock rim or get some aftermarket rims

good luck

Lance
Old 04-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

There are just so many options! I have heard of concerns about the 285's on stock rims, possibly not the safest option out there. I did want the advantage of putting the street tires back on. I only go off-roading once or twice a month, how hard would it be to switch the tires when I knew I had a trip planned. What size rim were you thinking about getting. I've heard some people getting cheap black steel rims for ~30 bucks.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

I'm lookin at getting some black steel rims too..

Figure I do about 1 trip a month so the cheapest way is the best way at this point. Switching tires takes at most 15 min? If you have only hand tools and a bottle jack then I'd say 20 min? I have a floor jack but have some hand tools so it'll take me abit longer than someone w/ some airtools. Swapping out the wheels are pretty easy, 6 bolts for each tire. Keep in mind that if you have a tow hitch, you won't be able to fit the 285 as a spare under your current spare location. U'd have to deflate your spare to make it fit under there. Other option is up on top of the 4runner using some rack or inside the cab or a custom steel bumper mount. I'll prob end up using my yak rack to throw the spare up there.

If someone helped me out on my offroading fund I'd want some cool alum wheels but at the current state, I'm gonna have to get those black steels!

16" rims, either Tech1 or Unique 252's. Discount tires sells the Unique's and I think 4wheel parts has the tech1's. Figure when that time comes, I'll prob ask around for the best price.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

I built a storage box in the back, and was thinking about making a bracket to hold the spare tire on that (keeps the weight off the roof), maybe throw a cable to the tie-down rings in the back for added security. I'll definitely check out the rims you mentioned.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I think it'd be a pain in the butt to switch tires everytime you want to wheel. But if you do get a second set then why not go all the way? Get some swampers. If not, then the MTRs are the next best thing, a little pricey though.

For off road wheels, stick to steel. They're cheap and they're just going to get beat up anyway. If aluminum wheels bend, you have to scrap them. Steels can be bent back.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

I'm with Robinhood on this one, of course this is all ultimatly your decesion but I would say get some back steel rims, 15x8 and then put some 33x12.5 on um, either BFG MTs, Bridgestone MTs or go all out and get those MTRs, they are a little pricy and sometmes noiesy but there's not a thing they can't pul your through, the BFG and Bridgestone are a little quitier on theroad and they get jut as good off-road traction, the MTRs are just one step above. Either way you go, any MT is gona do you really good off-road. I have friends that run each on of these tires, I prefer riding in the Rover on the Bridgestons but that is just me. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:30 AM

Are the stock rims pretty strong though, I mean, can they handle some avg off-road runs and long distance driving together. but not hardcore off-roading.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did run separate tires for on and off road for a while. It has its advantages and disadvanges. It sure ups your tire changing speed. After a few seasons, you're almost ready for a NASCAR pit crew. Before long, I got rid of the mudders and sold a set of rims and went to one set of all-terrains for everything. Now that I don't use my rig for daily driving, there's no reason to switch. You also need a place to keep the second set, and if you have to drive a long way to get to the trail, you'd want to take both sets with you. An extra set of tires is heavy and takes up lots of space. A friend with a longbed Ford did this regularly, but it's more difficult with minitrucks and not that practical, if you ask me.

Now I have lots of fun running an aggressive set of all-terrains (RV retread pattern) for everything. They're smooth and quiet on the road (my worn, cupped mudders felt like you were running over small animals wherever you went) and they bare their teeth on the trail. I'd recommend an aggressive A/T like Yoko Geolandar AT + or a radial mudder like the Bridgestone M/T for all around use.

As for size, you can fit a large variety of sizes on a given wheel. There's a constant debate over this, but I much prefer narrow "pizza cutter" tires to wider ones. They're aerodynamic, allow for easier fitment and tighter turning radius, they're easier on the wheel bearings, they weigh less, and they have higher ground pressure--they really bear down on each tread block and grab onto rocks and don't let go. In the US, you'd never think pizza cutters work, but look at the rest of the world (excluding iceland). Look at the Paris-Dakar, the (can't think of the name) Land Rover race, and the military. They all use tall skinny tires. I'd go straight for some 7.50R16 Michelin XZL's (steel-belted sidewalls! YA!) but since they're hard to get around here, make it 235/85R16. I saw an early 4Runner on 235/85R16 Dueler M/T's and I went weak in the knees. Those tires are about 32" tall (about same as 33x12.50) but narrow and look like the mean serious business. It's that magic "85" aspect ratio--they just beg to be loaded down and taken to the end of the earth. Did someone say LOAD RANGE E?!?! Yea buddy!

I just had to share my passion for pizza cutters,

Eric
Old 04-15-2003, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Just to play Devils advocate a little, I know a guy who has a used set of 285 BFG A/Ts with wheel For Sale . One comment for you Mad Chem, your sig says you have an SR5, so if your truck came with 16" wheels, you won't be able to most cheap steel 15" wheels. Just clarifying because 15's were mentioned. I think wheelersoffroad.com has some custom 15's that work, though. I can see advantages to having two sets of wheels/tires on hand, especially if storing them is not a problem...

ANother comment, many people are using the factory wheels offroad without any problems, and the 285/75R16 fits with 2+ inches of lift on _most_ trucks.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

I'll chime in too. Now that I have my lift, I'm starting to consider some of the same issues. I'd like to find some 16" black steel rims too, not for beating, but because I think they would look good against a white 4Runner. If black steel rims are cheap, then that's just a bonus. I have some reading to do though, because I don't know a thing about backspacing, offset, etc.

Last edited by TDiddy; 04-15-2003 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Its a tough choice- my Deuler AT's only have about a thousand miles on them, so I could get most of my money back, and put them into a pair of mudders. I basically bike back and forth to work, so its not like I have long commutes. The 4-runner basically gets used for trips to the grocery store, then for playing on the weekend. So, I should just suck it up, sell the Deulers, and throw some aggressive tires on the stock rims. For people who are leary about putting 285's on the stock rims, is it mostly a safety factor thing?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Tom,

Did you get your lift worked out? People have told me about getting steel rims for ~30/piece. I think the black steel would look great with my dark green runner, with black sliders, and eventually an ARB bumper. What I'm afraid of is if I get a new set of tires/rims, the old set would basically collect dust, and just take up space on my balcony (I live in an apartment). I guess that's what ebay is for!

-David
Old 04-15-2003, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Hey David,

Yep the lift is all good, I replaced the 882's up front with 881's.

We have the same issues on storing a 2nd set of rims. I'm also in an apt., and although I think I could get away with storing them on the balcony (thanks to lattice), they would just be taking up space. That's all conditional on getting the woman's approval to store them on the balcony...which could be another issue in itself!

The only 16x8 black rims I've seen so far are ones from American Racing. I don't know what the prices are like, and I'm sure there are other ones out there, but I just haven't looked around much yet.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

I just checked out www.wheelersoffroad.com, mentioned by loosehead, and they've got some decent 16x8 rims for 60 each, not as cheap as I expected, but it looks like they would be good for off-roading. They also had some CV boots specifically for lifted vehicles:
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/mecatech.htm
that looked interesting, based on the problems we have when lifting. They're 80.00, but can be installed without too much work, and I might look into getting them once I get the lift in.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Here's the steel wheels I mentioned above:
Wheeler's wheels

Edit: yep, those...
Old 04-15-2003, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, talk to Les Shwab about the wheels. I was looking into new ones for my Landcruiser, and they had them in 16" (steel spoke, don't remember if black avail)
Old 04-15-2003, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

There are actually a few 16x8 black steels out there that will fit our 4runners.

Tech1 (all black steel) - found at 4 wheel parts
Unique 252 (all black steel with fake beadlocks) - found at discount tire stores
and I think a few other places have them too. Just go to a tire store and ask them to see if they have any black 16x8 steels. Also if it's not the above mentioned wheels, have them make sure that it fits and clears the calipers... I know that those two above fit as other members are proud owners of em

Lance
Old 04-15-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

In answer to your original questions, I bought a second set of rims and tires for my truck last summer. I did a 10,000 mile, 2 month trip out west last fall and wanted some aggressive tires. I ended up getting a set of 4 BFG MT's in 31x10.5 mounted on steel rims, mounted & balanced with lugs and caps shipped to my door for about $600. I thought I would put them in the back and haul them out to Moab before I put them on to save on wear, but they took up the whole bed of my truck, so I ended up doing the whole trip on the BFG's. I've used a bunch of different tires off-road and I'd say these rank right up at the top. The Mud Terrain KM's are not as loud as the old tread pattern MT's and they handle fine on the pavement. Mine seem to be wearing a bit more quickly than I expected, but I put a lot of miles on them in a short time. Swapping the tires back and forth isn't a big deal but I don't really have a good place to store the other set of tires so I'll probably just stick with the BFG's. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by YoungFeller
... but I much prefer narrow "pizza cutter" tires to wider ones.

... they just beg to be loaded down and taken to the end of the earth.

... I just had to share my passion for pizza cutters,

Eric

AMEN! Well said.

Quick Reply: Dilema- Off-road tires/rims