Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install

Old 01-24-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install

Some on here may remember my post awhile back of my intention to install external transmission coolers with monitoring gauges for inlet and out let temperature monitoring (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...kshake-212235/) . In addition I wanted to be able to monitor my radiator coolant temps as well as I have installed the Taurus electric fan mod (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/i...en-3-a-143855/) as well.

I was able to locate a series of what I now consider to be the best of both worlds as far as gauges. They are both analog and digital in displays. All of them are electrically controlled and are made by MaxTow. While they are a bit spendy, they are great gauges. (https://www.maxtow.com/white-maxtow-...-gauge-series/)

While I did not hook up the dimmer line, I can do so at a later time. I installed the transmission gauges just before leaving for my trip to SoCal for thanksgiving so I did not have the normal amount of time I would have taken to do a complete install write-up as most of you here are used to me doing. I had other issues that needed my time so I just got them installed for the trip and they work great! After finding the perfect complement for the tranny monitoring gauges, I opted for the coolant monitoring gauge vice oil pressure. I will be covering that gauge install here.

As in all of my install mods
NOTE:
Disclaimer: As with all modifications, this write up is for educational purposes only. Any use or application of this procedure is done so at the risk of the installer/owner. The author and YotaTech are not responsible for any modifications done to any vehicle using these or any other related procedures contained in this write up. Descriptions and photographs are the sole property and copyright of the author and may not be copied or distributed without written consent. Links to this article may be allowed but are protected by all US copyrights. Use of specific products along with any photographs of such items remains the copyrighted property of the copyright holder and is not an endorsement of any specific company or items.

Ok, now that is out of the way, you will need the following parts:
MaxTow gauge MT-WDV06
32mm water temperature sensor adapter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/151771178586?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)
Electrical tape
1/8” x 6” tie wraps (recommend black)
Various hand tools including phillips screw driver, utility knife, flat tip screw driver, diagonal cutters.

I started with routing the cable through the firewall on the drivers side. The rubber grommet makes it easy to thread through and protects the wire from damage. I routed the wire along the throttle cable on top of the engine and secured it with black electrical tape until I can finalize the cable with small tie-wraps.
Using nylon pipe thread tape, cut a piece about 1 ½ inches long. Wrap this piece around the sensor threads.

Install the sensor into the adapter and using a 14mm wrench, tighten the sensor until it is firmly installed in the adapter.

I would recommend draining some of the radiator coolant, about a pint. CAUTION: Do this when the coolant/engine temperature is cool to avoid getting burned from hot coolant and cooling system pressure. You may need to remove the skid plate to access the radiator drain plug.

Take the coolant adapter and place it alongside the upper radiator hose to mark the location for the adapter. You will be installing the adapter in a position that replaces part of the hose. You will need to remove a section of the coolant hose to install the adapter and not bulge the hose.

Loosen the hose clamps for the upper hose both at the radiator and at the engine. Remove the hose end at the radiator.

Using the utility knife, cut the radiator hose completely at the first mark, then move to the second mark and remove that portion of the radiator hose. You will end up with three pieces of hose.

Place one of the adapter hose clamps onto the hose then insert the adapter into the hose end still attached to the engine. The hose will be a tight fit but continue to work the hose until it is flush with the adapter. Position the new hose clamp at the adapter end so that it is at the side. This will provide for contact with coolant as if flows through the hose and need not be full to sense water temperature. Tighten the hose clamp securely.

Attach the small end from the radiator to the adapter. Install and tighten the new hose clamp.

Attach the hose clamp to the radiator, secure with the original hose clamp.
Add coolant to the radiator so it is full.

As far as install of the gauge, it is very simple and following the provided instructions is very simple and straight forward. For the power required to operate the gauge(s) I used the 12VDC supplied to the 12VDC accessory (cigarette lighter) as it is ignition controlled. Gauge ground was another ground point under the center console. I did not utilize the dimming function but should be rather easy for anyone who is familiar with 4runner lighting or check the FSM wiring diagrams.

There is a ground wire location on the adapter but I did not need it to make the gauge function as the sensor was grounded at the gauge in the cab during installation of the gauge.

Normally I would have been a bit more through on the install but like I mentioned before, I was overcome by events. To simplify my complete gauge install I tied the three gauges common wires together into a single point for connection i.e. 12 v switched control power, and ground so they did not have to have 3 separate wire hookups for each of these functions. Once you look at the gauges when they arrive it will be pretty self explanatory, but if you need more details feel free to contact me directly.
My review on these gauges is that they are about the best electrical gauges out there and you pay for that quality. They have phone technical support for the gauges for as long as you own and they are very helpful. I must warn you that they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. You may be able to save a few dollars via eBay or Amazon. Total cost for all three gauges shipped to me was right at $212.00 I know what you are thinking and I thought that too, so I originally went with SunPro gauges from Autozone, well I ended up with issues after about 2 years and the internal bulbs burned out almost within 1 year. The visibility of these gauges is superb. A quick glance and you see the digit readout and the needles track right with them. I hope you enjoyed the quick write up. Please feel free to comment or to ask questions
Attached Thumbnails Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03250.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03251.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03255.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03257.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03263.jpg  

Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03261.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03265.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03266.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03268.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03269.jpg  

Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03271.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03272.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03274.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03275.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03284.jpg  

Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03279.jpg   Digital/Analog Temperature Gauge Install-dsc03283.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have installed on lower rad hose, it's going to show cold water until the tstat starts to open. You're missing a big part of the data IMO.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I did consider putting it on the lower hose but I am still utilizing the factory dash gauge and can see when the t-stat opens as it will begin to go up on my digital before the t-stat is fully open. I am concerned more after the t-stat opens during operations, i.e. long road trips, mountain pass driving, etc. thanks

Search this Thread