Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Difference between short block and long block 3RZ

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Difference between short block and long block 3RZ relating to a swap

There's nothing definite, but I have a chance to my hands a 3RZ really affordably. Some on my local c-list has a pair of 3RZs listed for $550 together, a long block and a short block. I'm not sure I want to open this door just yet, but if I were to contact him, which one would be the better option to swap into an 89 4Runner? If I were to go a step further and actually go and look at these engines, what should I be looking for?

I'm not really in a position to do an engine swap, and I really wanted to go TDI when I do convert, but the price really has got me thinking. I could possibly get a 3RZ for $200 or less. Everything I've read says it's a awesome swap. I could even just put the engine in storage until I could go through with it.

Link to the add:
http://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/2658787997.html

Last edited by Zelephant; 11-17-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
short block is just the block and the bottom end.

Long block has the head and timing set installed.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zelephant
There's nothing definite, but I have a chance to my hands a 3RZ really affordably. Some on my local c-list has a pair of 3RZs listed for $550 together, a long block and a short block. I'm not sure I want to open this door just yet, but if I were to contact him, which one would be the better option to swap into an 89 4Runner? If I were to go a step further and actually go and look at these engines, what should I be looking for?

I'm not really in a position to do an engine swap, and I really wanted to go TDI when I do convert, but the price really has got me thinking. I could possibly get a 3RZ for $200 or less. Everything I've read says it's a awesome swap. I could even just put the engine in storage until I could go through with it.

Link to the add:
Go for the long block and save yourself the headache of the top end. Inspect the heads closely for leaks and cracks. If the engine is too clean i'd be a little suspicious about leaks. Pull a plug to read what was going on in the engine before it took it's last breath. I'd also take off the oil cap and peek inside for sludge. These are the simplist things you can do to insure getting a healthy engine.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zelephant

Link to the add:
basically, long block includes the head. short block does not.

that ad gives me the impression he was going to salvage parts from both to make one engine. i'd be suspicious of why he needed the second short block if he had a long block. is the bottom half of the long block ok? if he needed both, then most likely YOU'D need both. regardless, i'd have to separate and have the head sent to a machine shop, and have the bottom ends checked too, to see which, if either, are ok to drop in without rebuilding.

please don't take this next question as an insult, but if you're not familiar with what the difference between a long block and short block is, how would you know what to look for if you go to inspect these parts?

my experience is in parts, so i know the difference in those terms, but i'm no technician and couldn't evaluate used engine components myself. i'd HAVE to bring a tech i trusted, and still would probably want to buy them both and have them checked/sent to a machine shop before i spent the time/$$ to have them installed.

you may have a good deal there, or he may be unloading junk. be sure to check car-part.com to compare prices for the same parts at salvage yards in your area.

good luck with your shopping!

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 11-18-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info guys. Aside from the most basic maintenance, my 22RE just exists and starts and runs everyday, so I'm a total newb to engine work.

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
basically, long block includes the head. short block does not.

that ad gives me the impression he was going to salvage parts from both to make one engine. i'd be suspicious of why he needed the second short block if he had a long block. is the bottom half of the long block ok? if he needed both, then most likely YOU'D need both. regardless, i'd have to separate and have the head sent to a machine shop, and have the bottom ends checked too, to see which, if either, are ok to drop in without rebuilding.

please don't take this next question as an insult, but if you're not familiar with what the difference between a long block and short block is, how would you know what to look for if you go to inspect these parts?

my experience is in parts, so i know the difference in those terms, but i'm no technician and couldn't evaluate used engine components myself. i'd HAVE to bring a tech i trusted, and still would probably want to buy them both and have them checked/sent to a machine shop before i spent the time/$$ to have them installed.

you may have a good deal there, or he may be unloading junk. be sure to check car-part.com to compare prices for the same parts at salvage yards in your area.

good luck with your shopping!
Unless I can get a working engine for a song, I'm not gonna bother. A motor swap wasn't even on the radar until I saw the price, and I'm not paying for both.

You're right, I got no friggen' idea what to look for if I give these engines a look; and no offense taken ! Like I said, I'm a total newb to engine work; that's why I posted in the first place. I was looking for trouble spots on this particular motor.

Bottom line is I'm in no position to pony up the $$$ for a 3RZ off Car-Part. The engine is only worth my time if it's a total steal. I'm still on the fence about calling the guy at all. I might want to hold out for a complete motor over a block, or just wait and do the TDI swap someday like I wanted.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i understand completely. if you have the money and storage space, maybe you could grab that longblock and rebuild it slowly over time.

who wouldn't love a 3RZ for a couple hundred bux!