Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

The Difference between HIDs and OEM Headlights

Old 07-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Difference between HIDs and OEM Headlights

i'm sold on the HIDs

i went wheeling last night with my friend dan who has HIDs on his runner. i wasn't sure just how much better they are than regular headlights, but i got see last night they really do throw out the light, and a much brighter, whiter light. i think that's gonna be my next mod.

another couple pictures just because:

Old 07-22-2004, 09:50 AM
lee
Contributing Member

wow, nice pics.

yea i just put in white bulbs i bought off ebay for cheap recently, and even they are brighter and nicer than stock.

what does it take to convert the headlights into HIDs?
Old 07-22-2004, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kit does he have, did he buy it off Zenondepot or a similar site, what did he pay
Old 07-22-2004, 10:20 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by lee
wow, nice pics.

yea i just put in white bulbs i bought off ebay for cheap recently, and even they are brighter and nicer than stock.

what does it take to convert the headlights into HIDs?

Here's an example. http://shop.sportruck.com/lights/hid/
Old 07-22-2004, 11:23 AM

HIDS are great--From all i have read you should try and find a kit that will do the low beam/high beam function. I think you also want to stay around 5000k for the best light output. You might also consider the lightforce 240 HID blitz--they put out 1.5 million candle power each while drawing 35 watts. I want to add HID's but I keep hoping if I wait long enough the price will drop.......
Old 07-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Retrofit HID kits (ie installing an HID bulb into a halogen lamp) have been ruled illegal. It sucks!! I burned out one of my bulbs about a year ago, and have never bought a replacement because of this ruling. I think I can still land some bulbs, but I hate to drop $125 on a bulb and then get a ticket for having them. OEM HIDs (Lexus, BMW, etc) are still legal because the lamp housing is designed for them and projects/foucses the light instead of scattering it like the halogen lamps do. I've got pics of mine on Webshots so you can see what they looked like before I pulled them.

Matt
Old 07-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

They are illegal here and for the cost I don't see if it's worth it over a decent set of Silverstars or the like;imagine the cost of replacing a broken unit.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:08 AM

Just order them from xenondepot.com and install it right and it looks like OEM, I've got a friend who put a kit on his fathers 2002 Camry and the father was pulled over and the cop did his song and dance, walked around the car staired at the lights in front and let him go no questioned asked, it's real easy to put HID retrofit fits on most cars, the problem with xenons are all the bright white bulbs that are just brighter, Xenon is a natural light cause I had a 7 series behind me and he lite the road up infront of me and my eyes where fine, true xenons you can look straight into, just check out a 7 series those things can make nighttime seem like daytime

It's all the POS riding around with blue lights and ultra bright white lights that have caused the problem, but it's no different then when Halogen lights 1st started coming out, everyone complained about those being to bright
Old 07-23-2004, 10:26 AM

Check ebay. I got some bulbs cheap. Didnt do the conversion just swtiched the bulbs.... We'll see if there are consequences...
Old 07-23-2004, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by EDGE
Just order them from xenondepot.com and install it right and it looks like OEM, I've got a friend who put a kit on his fathers 2002 Camry and the father was pulled over and the cop did his song and dance, walked around the car staired at the lights in front and let him go no questioned asked.
But doesn't the cops know some cars don't come with HIDs so obviously its not OEM?
Old 07-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

i converted to HID, about 2 years ago, here are the pics.

http://community.webshots.com/user/amir904
Old 07-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

I know they aren't HID but you can get somne Sylvania Silverstars in the meantime. They throw out the light and it's as white as it can get for a regular bulb.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by RalleRunner
But doesn't the cops know some cars don't come with HIDs so obviously its not OEM?
It depends on the cop and the car and how clean it looks but I was told long as it is not stolen then don't worry, most newer cars you can pass off having an HID kit long as you install it and hide all the wires like the directions tell you to, cars like the Altimas, Maximas and even the Mazda 3 etc... have HID as options, more and more cars have HID as an options so it's getting easier to get nice quality kits and have no problem on say 2000 and newer even cars as old as 95 or older depending on the cars.

From my cop friends they pull cars over by how they look, they have book that list certain things on cars, the cops here in NY/NJ and the city look for stolen engines among other stolen parts, but thats on mostly Honda and Acuras, long as you got your current registration and Insurance and a DL they let you go, half my friends have limo tinted front windows and the cops don't care, thats the reason they went ahead with the tint, they look more heavily at older cars then say my 2003 4Runner, for obvious reason older cars are just hotter among theives.

Putting on/in HID or better bulbs is fine, everyone breaks the laws that are BS just don't put washer nozzle lights on your truck or drive around with under body neon lights
Old 07-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

I say go with the hids, espcially if you have the 99+ lamps. My buddy has them in his 95 volvo and they are awesome. But, I wouldn't want to loose my high/low beams. I say just get some of THESE Then you keep your high lows, you don't blind people, and you don't have to worry about getting a ticket. PLUS, on top of that you don't have to mess with mounting all that extra stuff, with the LightForces, I believe they are the only light with everything built into the light.

Just my .02