Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Didn't think I was buying a project runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't think I was buying a project runner

Weather finally cleared up, and I wanted to change the oil in my 4-Runner... Since I've had it my Oil pressure guage never worked, figured it was just a bad sensor. Could never really see in there or get my hands down there far enough, and it's been to crappy a weather to mess with it.... Well I wanted to add amsoil synthetic to it, we sell it at work, and I hear nothing but good about it. So I dropped out the old stuff, and notice it was somewhat thick. Didn't think much of it. Changed the filter (aint an easy thing on a 3.0), then noticed a wire hanging, felt around and felt around the oil psi sensor, found where it went, extended the ripped wire a little and plugged it back in. Filled it up with 10w-30 synthetic. Fired it up, and now you can hear the rotating assembly alot more. All I could think of was Oh ˟˟˟˟˟!! Checked my oil pressure, it was bout 1/4 way up on my guage. I never knew what it was before guage never worked. So the next day I took it to work to see what my boss thought, we stuck a stethoscope everywhere, of course you could hear the valve tick. On the block and pan it wasn't really that noisy, not to much noisier then another engine, but definently louder, and audible outside the vehicle. He told me to take it out, and put regular non-synthetic in it. So sticking with what I run in my truck, I dropped a new filter and some Straight 30w. Well the noise isn't as loud, but you can still barely hear it outside. Oil pressure went up a little but not much. Took it to a buddy I know that works at a garage, did the same thing. Basically told me it sounded like a worn engine, and it wasn't anything to severaly major, but I should keep an eye on things, and do more frequent oil changes. With that said, when I thought back to when i repaired the wire for the oil pressure sender, it appears someone had might have ripped it on purpose. And when I went back and checked out the old oil, it was very thick.

Engine still runs good, doesn't appear to burn any oil, plugs look great. Just seem to be a little low on oil pressure. Which would probably lead me to believe neglect. When I bought it they didnt have any maintenance papers or anything. So I asked to take it overnight, well it performed great so i bought it. So I'm not to happy about that, but hey I guess thats why I got it so cheap. Most 2nd gen runners I looked at, had lower miles around 90k, but we're all 8k-9k plus.

I think I can make it last plenty long to get my other truck finished, its not horrible likes its gonna crap out anyday now. I hear 100x worse pull into the parking lot at work all the time. I was planning on a rebuild and upgrades anyways, until I priced it out. I could have a new engine dropped in for about $5K, I said no thanks. Called about rebuild if I drive it into a shop I was looking at about 3500-4000. So I looked at doing it myself, and getting a used engine from a wrecking yard. Well a used with 30-50k on it, the cheapest I could locate was $2800 with just the block, heads, and associated covers. So I jumped on the web, only to my surprise a 3.4L will bolt up to my tranny, and my engine mounts. So a call to the local wrecking yards (my uncle works out there), I could score a complete 3.4L with harness for about 800-1000. With about 20k to 40k miles.

So where that tired, or should I say low oil pressure 3.0 sits. Will soon be the home of a supercharged 3.4L. Depending on how many miles it has on it, I'm gonna do a simple rebuild. Rings and bearings, other simple items.

Just kinda bummed about it though, figure'd I had plenty of life left. But now that mine seems to be showing its age, I asked a few peeps, that I know had to replace there 3.0s how many miles they had, they were all anywhere from the 160k to 195k range. Guess the 3.0 aint just as reliable. It is the 1st gen V6 they did.

I know I'll have no problem making it last 15-20k more. More then plenty to get my truck done.

I'm in the process of checking my VIN at another Toyota dealership. A few people think it may be a headgasket problem, and coolant could have been leaking into the crankcase, just slow and not very noticable. And if that is the case Toyota would be responsible for the damages. Fine with me, if not once my other truck is done. I'll be prepping this one for a Charged 3.4

With that in mind, I'd like to know exactly what years I'm looking for in a 3.4L so I can let my uncle know, so they dont junk exactly what I need. I know I need one from a 5-speed, thats about it.

If anyone has any kinda link, to any info. I'd appreciate it. I have done some searches, but now I want some more definite answers.

Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

whoa, wheres the long post alert j/k
to completely avoid headgasket problems stick to 98 and newer. ive already junked an early 3.4 that lost two headgaskets so i can understand your pain. 800-1000 is about the best prices ive seen around here. i paid $1500 complete engine, trans, and transfer with 5,100 miles.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:46 AM

I dropped a new filter and some Straight 30w.
where are you located? I wouldn't put a stright 30 weight in mine unless the temps stayed in the 80's... mine runs nice with 10w40 and I can use it all year round.

I've read on other posts that the oil pessure on the 3.0 is generally lower than what you'd expect, but I don't know with mine because I don't have the sr5 gauge cluster

BTW: when I put 10w30 dino oil in my 3.0 it made all kinda noise, especially after it warmed up. valve clatter I guess.
but with 10w40 it's a lot quieter.

mine has 182k on it right now, the previous owner had it rebuilt around 130k..
Old 02-12-2004, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just hit the old search button and you'll find all kind of info in the swap for a 3.4L
Make sure to get a computer with an auto if you have an auto currently in yours....or swap in a 5spd.