Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Did some Snow Wheeling today! (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 02:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did some Snow Wheeling today! (w/pics)

Well we were forcasted for snow last nite but I figured it was a farce since we never get snow here in the UK hardly. It snowed some early in the night but when I woke up this morning this is what my Runner looked like!

I guess this is like the most snow they've gotten here in 20 some years! Well right after this school called and said not to come in till 10 am cuz of the roads so I got ready anyways and headed out to do some playing. First time I have really had the runner in the snow. I grew up driving in it for 6 months of the year and soooooo miss driving in the snow!! I went out and got crazy broadsliding every single corner on all the backroads. It was awesome because it was really fluffy snow and there would be this huge mist of snow behind me everytime I pitched it sideways. I was quite impressed with the Runner and the BFG's. The runner slides a bit different than a Toy truck. I imagine it's because it's heavier in the back. Only lost it once and did a 180 at about 30 MPH kinda hairy but other than that it was pure fun!!!!

I love the way snow cushions the bumps. You can just cruise over rough stuff spinning and sliding all the way.. Well remember I am in Uniform on my way to school and Murpy's Law prevailed I freakin got stuck!! First time I have had the Runner stuck. I got a little crossed up in a ditch and due to the lack of flex spun two tires. At this point I have 30 minutes to get to class and I am bit worried.. I got out and luckily I used to have to dig out my buddies Yota all the time so I got kinda good at it. I moved all the snow from in front and back of the tires and did some clever wheel turning and got the front end to grab. Good ol Runner pulled through and got me school!!! Here's the pic after I got out..

Well I get to school only to find out it's cancelled.. ye haw got all day to wheel now... Took a few more pics on the way home

Thing that sucks is it will all be gone in a couple days but at least I got to play a little bit!
Old 01-31-2003, 04:45 AM

UK Glad to hear that you got some of the white stuff to play in. everytime it snows here in Buffalo, I'm out on the roads looking to play too.

Have fun with the snow.

Eric
Old 01-31-2003, 05:42 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Man that looks like a blast...I don't think we will ever see snow of that magnitude here in Dallas.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

There is nothing like being able to roll by everyone who is either sliding or slowing in the snow. I once drove 1/4 mile on the median to pass a snowy traffic jam and pull a blocking car out of the way. The of course there's the parking lot fun. Why anyone would buy a 2wd runner is beyond me... Snow rocks!
Old 01-31-2003, 07:15 AM
Banned

Meanwhile here in Colorado it was 63* F and sunny yesterday. Its supposed to be 61* today. I don't beleive in winter anymore.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:29 AM
Away

Looks like fun. It sure is pretty there.

Dr. Z
Old 01-31-2003, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

UKMyers:

I envy you!!!!!

It's friggin 800 degree's here in Los Angeles Geez....

Looks like you had fun tho SWEET!!!!
Old 01-31-2003, 08:29 AM

Awesome, Myers! I love the snow too, I can't wait for next weekend's trip. With the snow we've had, it should prove to be challenging, lockers or not. I'll see if these BFG's will be able to handle the deep snow like they say they should.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SWEET!!

Looks like alot of fun. Unfortunately something I used to love is ho-hum to me now. We've been getting 1 to 2 to 4 inches every couple of days. Now I only get enthused when we get 5 or more inches in one storm. Sure looks pretty there. Maybe it's been the cold temps that have broken my spirit. It was 15 or under for like 3 weeks here. It was in the mid to high 30's here the last two days and I only wore a sportcoat. Felt like spring!!

Last edited by Cebby; 01-31-2003 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:52 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Joey great pictures! Im real jealous as i only live 1 1/2 hours drive west of you and we have not had a single drop of snow I have been itching to try the runner out in some white stuff for ages now but we rarely ever get snow in this part of the country so enjoy it while it lasts....

Cheers

Luke
Old 02-01-2003, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks awesome UK. Glad you could enjoy the snow. We had 6 inches of the white stuff last week. The most since 1996. I could not enjoy it though, I was real sick that day and the next.:cry:
Maybe it will snow again this winter.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:23 PM
Del

I'm in the same boat with you Cebby. I moved to Mammoth for the winter, and now if it doesn't snow at least 8 inches, it's no big deal. When I went to the local mountains, if it snowed 3 inches, it was a powder day LOL!!
Old 02-01-2003, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

I know what you guys mean. I got so excited because being over here it's the most snow I have seen in almost 4 years. Where I grew up we used to get loads and loads! Here's a couple of pics of the good ol days.
This first one is what our house looked like after we went on vacation for 2 weeks. As you can see by the pavement the sun had been out for a several days already too. Pretty awesome. Sucked trying to tunnel our way to the door though!

And then there was the snowmobiling..ohhhh how I miss snowmobiling!!!

Old 02-02-2003, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by UKMyers

And then there was the snowmobiling..ohhhh how I miss snowmobiling!!!

Joey - Is that you on the Cat, ya HOT DOG?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Cebby ya I was gettin nutty on Summit 700. Man that thing had some balls!! Nothing compared to the Thundercat I rode a few winters back. 1000cc's buddy... 184HP on about 400 lbs. That thing went like a rocket!! All you had to do was point it uphill and hold on for dear life!
Old 02-02-2003, 11:08 AM

get plenty of snow here in maine... im on the coast though, so it will rain sometimes.. was raining this morning, but its turned to snow now. its usually fun to drive in, but if you're pulling out into traffic and your back wheels start to spin half way out in the road... haha couple weeks ago i went on an already difficult trail in the spring time, but it had about a foot of snow on it. my taco made it out without too much damage, but my friend's jeep had to stay on the trail overnight. oh, and i pulled him out a few times before that, and i never got stuck jeeps.:rolleyes:
Old 02-02-2003, 01:43 PM

It looks like you had some gooooood fun in the snow mate it was a blast down here too but i had to work thursday and friday but we went up to see the in-laws this week end so i got to have a little play in the whight stuff but jane is a bit windy when it comes to this sort of thing so i had to take it easy,
to the rest of you what joey failed to mention is that we had only 2-4 inches of snow but we had some roads closed foe 18 plus hours with people stranded in their cars and i dont mean minor roads one road was the M11 wich is one of the main interstate roads out from london and it was not gritted at all and by the time they decided to grit they got stuck in the traffic too.

i know of people who tooa 13 hours to do about 20 miles,

we just cant cope with this type of weather even though it was forcast for a week in advance.