Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dexron II or III

Old 05-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Del

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dexron II or III

After checking my tranny fluid this morning, I noticed I was extremely low. I went to Kragen to get some fluid, but all they have is Dexron III, same with Pep Boys. The manual says to use Dexron II. Is there a difference? Should I go through the hassle of trying to find Dexron II, or just get III? Thanks.

EDIT - I tried doing a search for "Dexron" but found nothing.

Last edited by Del; 05-16-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I assume Dexron III has come out since they built your truck. I know that my 90 calls for "D II" on the tranny pan as well. However, I went to Oriely's today to pick up some, and all they carried was the D III as well like you said. I assume it's just as good, I went ahead and bought it.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:38 PM

Dexron Mercon III supercedes all previous Dexron II specifications. You can safely use it. You can also use Dexron IV, which is even better and compatible with Dexron III and II specifications. Typically this is the way it works, with some exceptions, that the next generation of a fluid is backward compatible with older fluids. For example, for engine oil API service SH (older standard), you can use API Service SL oil, that supercedes SH, SJ, etc ... in short it is new and improved. So if you want to top off with the later stuff, it is ok... but what is even better - If you decide to service (flush) your transmission professionally in order to replace all of the fluid (something you cannot do at home) it is worth the investment to put the latest, fully synthetic transmission fluid in it. It will last longer and protect your tranny better.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Forerunner
Dexron Mercon III supercedes all previous Dexron II specifications. You can safely use it. You can also use Dexron IV, which is even better and compatible with Dexron III and II specifications. Typically this is the way it works, with some exceptions, that the next generation of a fluid is backward compatible with older fluids. For example, for engine oil API service SH (older standard), you can use API Service SL oil, that supercedes SH, SJ, etc ... in short it is new and improved. So if you want to top off with the later stuff, it is ok... but what is even better - If you decide to service (flush) your transmission professionally in order to replace all of the fluid (something you cannot do at home) it is worth the investment to put the latest, fully synthetic transmission fluid in it. It will last longer and protect your tranny better.
A little (slightly) off-topic history lesson:
The only time Dexron series fluids are not backwards compatible is using Dexron II in a GM tranny that specifies Dexron (the original). Not likely to be a problem anymore as most trannies that used that particular oil have been redone to use newer stuff. The original Dexron had a high percentage of whale oil, Dexron II was formulated without it. Original Dexron is arguably the best tranny fluid ever created, but due to its ingredients cannot be made anymore. Toyota never specified the stuff anyway.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, DOT brake fluid... I wanna say 5 is not backwards compatible. I think I heard that you can only use it with stainless brake lines... or that you can't mix it with the regular stuff... I can't recall, all I know is I have a bottle of it sitting on the shelf at home that I can't use.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, you cannot use DOT 5 fluid on most OEM brake systems, the rubber seals in the master cylinder, calipers, and wheel cylinders will bloat and start leaking. Decent HP aftermarket stuff (Wilwood, Howe, etc.) is compatable with all brake fluids.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Del

Thanks guys. I got some D III and put it in. Guess how much the shop left out when they flushed it... 3 QUARTS ! Guess that would explain the slipping, which is gone now.

I know they were trying to get me for a new tranny cause when I took it back after they flushed it, they said they checked the level and it was fine. Also, it was a bit retarded on my part because I never checked the level with the motor running Oh well, at least it's back to normal now.