Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Deckplate: stupid question

Old 09-23-2003, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deckplate: stupid question

Hi
I was interested in doing the Deckplate/airbox mod on my runner. After reading the writeup in the tech section I have a stupid question. Is it really necessary to cut a hole, why not just open the box the same way you change the airfilter and remove the door or similar. Or does it have to be a certain size?
Also, am I correct assuming that it I do the Deckplate it is no use doing the ISR mod?
Cheers.
Carsten
Old 09-23-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi;

You're cutting a hole and installing the deckplate piece in case you want to close it up cleanly, easily and air tight.

You'd want to do that if you're heading out to do a deep water crossing, or if you're running a real dusty trail. You don't want to _invite_ water and/or dust into the airbox.

And no, you're not correct about the deckplate and the ISR. In fact, many have found that the two of them together are a stronger combination than either one alone!

Do 'em both!

Last edited by midiwall; 09-23-2003 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by mpulver
Hi;

You're cutting a hole and installing the deckplate piece in case you want to close it up cleanly, easily and air tight.

You don't want to _invite_ water and/or dust into the airbox.

I'll testify to that! I just replaced my MAF sensor and it took care of my "Check Engine light mod" I first got the light after running some DUSTY desert trails in Anza Borrego with the deckplate out.
Cleaning the maf did no good, Toyota tech said I must have fouled it somehow. New one in and no problems.

Carsten: I live in San Diego too, this Sun me and some of the other guys on here are running a short 2-3 hr trail late afternoon. You should come, take a look at the deckplate and get in some wheelin'! (No lift needed, I'm stock height and it's real fun!)
Old 09-23-2003, 06:02 PM

You know, I just removed the ISR mod and left the deskplate open and I swear it pulls better in the normal driving range RPM than with both on.

With the ISR the noise above 2k RPM was nice inside the cabin, but outside it sounded rough with metallic feedback, like a Subaru engine. With the normal resonator in it's nice and quiet, and pulls better!
Old 09-23-2003, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by 4RUNR
You know, I just removed the ISR mod and left the deskplate open and I swear it pulls better...
Hence my disclaimer of "many have found...".

There's plenty of babble here on the forum that runs anywhere from people saying that not doing either gives them better performance up to doing both is the only way to go.

I think that the last time folks tried to work through this it started to look like the ISR doesn't do well in humid conditions (like the southern US) but that was just a hypothesis. Your profile doesn't say where you're from.. Are you in the south?

The ISR is meant to give you better throttle response, not so much to give you more power. The deckplate helps to get more air into the engine. Under the right conditions, the combination of the two should do pretty well.

The coolest things about both of the mods is that they're cheap to do, and easy to reverse if you don't like 'em!
Old 09-23-2003, 06:26 PM

In the PA/NJ/DE/NY so it's relatively dry. I admit the ISR sounded mean but when going in a tunnel or next to a wall or a big truck the sound reflected back revealed that it sounded awful anywhere but inside the cabin.

Best way to describe it is: Subaru engine! It's dead quiet and smooth revving now, as expected from a Toyota, but I'm baffled where was the metallic noise coming from with the ISR!
Old 09-23-2003, 06:43 PM

I do not agree with this dust issue at all.

The dust is suspended in the air. Air is drawn into the engine there for dust is drawn into the airbox.

Now, there is no reason to believe that there is any more dust in the air in the area of the deck plate as opposed to the fender area where the tire is kicking it all up in the first place.

I don't think that there is going to be ANY difference in the amount of dust ingested between the deck plate open or closed.

So, am I a nut??

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 09-23-2003, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Gadget
I don't think that there is going to be ANY difference in the amount of dust ingested between the deck plate open or closed.

So, am I a nut??
Well...

I understand what you're saying, and when I brought it up I'mk kinda' repeating other folk's words and suggestions from a trail ride that I was on a while back.

It made sense at the time, (and still does as I think about it). I see it as the difference between a 5" hole in the front of the airbox versus a 1 1/2" (is that right?) hole at the end of the stock intake tube under the fender.

I would "think" that with the deckplate off, then you're sucking in more air, and if we assume that the dust concentration in the air is the same at that location as under the fender, then you'll get more dust in the airbox in the same amount of time.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the input.
So I could leave the deckplate off during normal conditions and close it to minimize dust offroad.
RobT2K thanks for the invite to the wheeling event, how do I get more info about Sundays trip?
The Subaru sound does not seem like a great addition..hmm.
Carsten
Old 09-23-2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Roadtripr
So I could leave the deckplate off during normal conditions and close it to minimize dust offroad.
...and anytime that you may be doing a deep water crossing.

Yes, a deckplate looks like this:

http://www.beckson.com/screwout.html

That center part unscrews... And when it's scrwed in, it's water (and basically air) tight.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:17 PM

If you engine needs to make 40 HP to move your truck up a hill, then it will make that whether the deck plate is open or closed. It will pull in the same amount of air to make that 40 HP. If it draws in less air with the deck plate closed then you are not making 40 HP.

What I am saying is that under normal conditions especially off road the engine is going to pull in the same amount of air no matter what the deck plate condition is.

The deck plate only changes things at high RPM and full throttle which you are rarely going to do off road.

The guy that came up with the deck plate idea was www.FrankenTaco.com. His idea was an adaption of the open front mod. This was provide the performance increase in normal driving, but prevent water injestion during water crossings when off road.

So, let review. The engine is going to pull in the same amount of air to make the same power. If dust is suspended in the air it will be drawn into the engine in the same amount no matter if the deck plate is open or closed. Now, please quit worrying about the dust, it is going to get to the filter no mater what you do.

The deck plate allows the performance increase in high power settings and allows you to cross streams like stock.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 09-23-2003, 07:20 PM

Hmmmm... 'k... all noted and my perception has been righted.

Thanks Gadget!

Mark

Last edited by midiwall; 09-23-2003 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:33 PM

RobT2K thanks for the invite to the wheeling event, how do I get more info about Sundays trip?
Not really an "event" but I PM'd ya. The next "event" will be the weekend before Halloween.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Gadget

So, let review. The engine is going to pull in the same amount of air to make the same power. If dust is suspended in the air it will be drawn into the engine in the same amount no matter if the deck plate is open or closed. Now, please quit worrying about the dust, it is going to get to the filter no mater what you do.
I hear ya, I didn't want to believe that the deckplate that had been in for 4 months with no problems caused my MAF sensor a problem. Especially after seeing my friend with a Tacoma go offroading all day in even dustier conditions than I was in, with an open deckplate. Midday, he even yanked out his airfilter, banged it on the bumper to shake free some of the dust (It was really caked), and put it back in. He never got a problem.
I found a MAF sensor for sale cheap, swapped it out and now no more "PO171-too lean" code.
So, something happened to my MAF sensor that day offroading, whether it was dust or possibly the washboard roads(major vibrations at 25+ mph) I cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner, cleaned my TB, checked all vacuum lines. Everything except replace the sensor, once I did, no more problem. I wish I knew what the culprit was, its got me shy to open the deckplate, but what you're saying makes sense, open or closed it's all going in anyway.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:17 AM

Sometimes things just go bad. That is why new vehicles come with warranties.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 09-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4RUNR
You know, I just removed the ISR mod and left the deskplate open and I swear it pulls better in the normal driving range RPM than with both on.

With the ISR the noise above 2k RPM was nice inside the cabin, but outside it sounded rough with metallic feedback, like a Subaru engine. With the normal resonator in it's nice and quiet, and pulls better!
This just made me put some more thought into how I really feel about the ISR mod and tonight, I decided to try the silencer boxes again. I have to say that I agree with what you just said 4RUNR. The ISR mod was cool at first but I seem to think that the noise level produced just doesn't do any justice to the 4Runner. When I stomp on the gas, WOT, there is almost a deafening tone produced in the high RPM range which would be cool if my head was pinned to the seat from the G-forces. As you all know this is hardly the case and I think all that noise just leaves my passengers thinking to themselves, "that's it?" "what the hell was that all about" So, tonight I went around the block after freshly reinstalling the silencers and really gave her a beating. I think the overall sensation under full throttle, with silencer boxes in place, is more fitting for my truck with its current exhaust set up and the deck plate mod. Until that S/C group buy goes through I'm sticking with this combo. I've got an "O" TB gasket coming from 96Runner so maybe that'll make up for any loss in performance from reinstalling the silencer boxes. Call me crazy but, I think it does pull better this way. IMO, the ISR mod is still a great mod but I've just out-grown it.
-Tim
Old 09-24-2003, 07:02 PM

Re: Deckplate: stupid question

Hi
I was interested in doing the Deckplate/airbox mod on my runner. After reading the writeup in the tech section I have a stupid question. Is it really necessary to cut a hole, why not just open the box the same way you change the airfilter and remove the door or similar. Or does it have to be a certain size?
Also, am I correct assuming that it I do the Deckplate it is no use doing the ISR mod?
Cheers.
Carsten
IMO it's a waste of time. I did it too my truck a couple years ago and it made everything worse. Just makes more noise.

Jason
Old 09-25-2003, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

I think the deckplate really benefited my truck. It definitely has more power.

More info here and pics:

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/deckplate.html
Old 09-25-2003, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

I will be doing the deckplate mod shortly and I did like the idea I saw with putting a screen behind the deckplate to keep larger stuff like bugs and other debris from contacting the actual filter but still allowing all the airflow.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:34 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
No need

Originally posted by X-AWDriver
I will be doing the deckplate mod shortly and I did like the idea I saw with putting a screen behind the deckplate to keep larger stuff like bugs and other debris from contacting the actual filter but still allowing all the airflow.
No need for the screen, that is what the filter is for, to stop stuff. The screen looks like a PITA to put on anyway since there is really no need for it. IMHO

Brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deckplate: stupid question