YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2003, 09:30 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Dealers Clear Coat is it worth it?

I just purchased a 2003 4runner and Iím debating if I should put a clear coat on the paint. I donít know if itís worth it or not. I have applied Maguireís Gold wax on it. Iím wondering what will protect the paint from small scratches. Will the clear coat do the job or should I save my money and keep applying the wax? If you guys know of any good, hard waxes please let me know. Your input is appreciated.

Troy
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
romus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:40 PM   #2
Contributing Member

i think i know what youre talking about and if its what i think it is save your money, you can buy a lot of wax for $300.

am i right?
Old 06-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Hey Troy, welcome to YotaTech. All '03 colors except white and black have clear coat applied at the factory. If yours is one of those, I'd say keep it polished and waxed. You'll get all kinds of finish care ideas here. Most work well, some like Zaino have cult followings. I use all the P21S products (carnauba based) because of reflectivity, ease of use, and durability. YMMV, but whichever you choose, get it on right away.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:01 PM   #4

It's a dealer $$$ maker...save yours....

My email
pfdaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:19 PM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

I wonít put a clear coat on my new 4runner then. Iím looking for some strong hard wax that will keep the pant from getting fine scratches. I know that carnauba in a wax is a good thing. Some one mentioned Zaino what make this wax so great?
Thanks for your suggestions
romus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:24 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to Woodbert
GRIOTS

romus,

Welcome. I and others here are Griots Garage users. Here's a few links for you to see our 03's with the Griots Best of Show (BOS) Wax and use of the Porter Cable buffer.

Enjoy.

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.p...ghlight=griots

My 2003 HILUX Surf
Checkout My Truck
|Full Leather| |Moon Roof||XREAS| |Rear Torsen LSD| |Mobil 1 Synth Oil| |TRD Sport Oil Filter| |TRD Cat-Back Exhaust||Dueler A/T Revos 265-70-17||THULE/Toyota Lappland 619 Roof Rack/Basket| |Full Husky Liners| |Cee Bailey's Window shades| |Toyota OEM Vent Visors||Griots and Porter "Corey" wax treatment| |Soon: TRD Air Filter|Stay tuned for more...|
2001 Kawasaki 1100 STX DI Jet Ski
"With the right vessel, it easy to get a good crew."
1993 Hilux Surf SSR-G "Sold"
Woodbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 11:31 PM   #7

I think what you may be refering to is paint sealant . All dealerships offer this expensive option. When I had my detail biz, we would apply this sealant after buffing and full detail. (Late model used cars) I got 80 bucks for doing the complete detail and sealant...they charge the customer 300 clams. You can buy similar products at any detail supplier. You'll still need to wax every month or so, and reseal every 6 months if you like. A semi-annual polish/buff and waxing every 1 or 2 months is all ya need to preserve a good shine. Before, a lot of black, white and reds had no clearcoat. Without diligent waxing, they will get dry and chalky. I've noticed a lot more of these colors are now clearcoated, still, waxing (not polishing) is important on a regular basis.
Speedway Blue TRD Sport
butnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 08:38 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to impulsebrklyn
hey we got some griot freaks here and some zaino freaks here. Im a zaino freak and I have a black 03. This stuff is amazing. Most of the black 4runners on this forum use zaino.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

his site says it all. Mr zaino was a legend in the car show industry ages ago. He was pissed off with what was on the market so he made his own products. Everything he makes is amazing and it smells good to. He now sells is products out of NJ and has a custom paint shop. All of his products are pure, no silicone(or oil) and no carnauba and no abrasives. carnauba is a yellow agent, that if you wax a white car with it long enough it will discolor you car. I defenintly recommend ZAINO.

Chris
Eclipse CD8443
Audiobahn A4125HCQ for Adire Brahma 10"
PG 500.2 for ID Chameleon
PG 200.2 for Infinity Kappa 62.5i
Tint all the way around

Last edited by impulsebrklyn; 06-20-2003 at 08:40 AM.
impulsebrklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 08:38 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
applied, california, clear, clearcoat, clearcote, coat, dealer, dealership, offered, offers, oregon, paint, portland, sealant, treatment