Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dealer fried computer on my 03 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer fried computer on my 03 4Runner

Service manager just called to inform me that they fried my 4Runner's computer while reflashing it per the Sulfur TSB. He claims that it won't affect anything and that this computer is just for the Emissions. I'm going to be highly upset if I lose my odometer settings or have any other bugs. I will be getting one hell of a trade in on an 05' if that is the case!!

Here is what I know so far: During the reflash the ECU got a STOP error and a message stating that the ECU was bad and needed to be replaced..

Sounds like it runs on NT4.0 huh?

The dealer claims that I wouldn't even have known if he didn't tell me. However, since it's going to take a day or so to get the part he had to let me know in advance. I'm not mad just yet... ..
Old 08-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like BS from yet another incompetent service department if you ask me... but at least they told you. However, from the sound of things, if they had the part on hand, they would have done the repair on the sly and never told you. To me, that statement sounds like "if i had the part in stock, I would have replaced it to cover my ass and would have never told you..."

Last edited by bamachem; 08-03-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

damn! that sucks what is your next course of action? (besides complaining).

i'm not sure exactly what to say but do you think that the odo will be be lost? if you're gonna be out longer, will toyota provide a loaner 4runner to drive?

The good news is that the service manager did call you and did the proper thing by informing you of the problem. hope everything turns out to be fine.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:29 AM

We all know how reflashes on any computer are...lose power, reflash goes bad. Bad download (checksums don't match up), reflash goes bad. If he can get the part and it's a newer version it might already have the new .ver software on it...If he has to reflash it again, betchya he doesn't make the same mistake twice.

Might needle him a bit and say "If it works, don't bother upgrading..."

Good luck!

Last edited by ctcost; 08-03-2004 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kaneman23
this computer is just for the Emissions..
Aren't emissions important? They are going to replace it aren't they?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:23 AM

That sucks, sent you a PM a while back and never heard anything, all good on TS
Old 08-03-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
Sounds like BS from yet another incompetent service department if you ask me... but at least they told you. However, from the sound of things, if they had the part on hand, they would have done the repair on the sly and never told you. To me, that statement sounds like "if i had the part in stock, I would have replaced it to cover my ass and would have never told you..."
I feel the same way. I think they probably would've hid the problem if they could've.. I'm just worried about having electrical bugs now. We will see...

Last edited by kaneman23; 08-03-2004 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Good Times
damn! that sucks what is your next course of action? (besides complaining).

i'm not sure exactly what to say but do you think that the odo will be be lost? if you're gonna be out longer, will toyota provide a loaner 4runner to drive?

The good news is that the service manager did call you and did the proper thing by informing you of the problem. hope everything turns out to be fine.

Thanks bro. The service manager said he could have the part by tomorrow, again we will see.. They are going to provide a rental for as long as I need one. My next course of action is to wait... I have no choice at this point.

If I notice any problems you can bet I will follow the chain of command all the to corporate until they replace my truck. I will NOT accept it if my odometer is altered in anyway.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by EDGE
That sucks, sent you a PM a while back and never heard anything, all good on TS
Hey Edge,

I only got the one PM and I did reply (I'm pretty sure anyhow).. Thanks again for the hook up! I will keep you posted on the outcome of all of this mess. Thanks for the support. Later,

Justin
Old 08-03-2004, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Aren't emissions important? They are going to replace it aren't they?
Yes they're very important. What I was getting at, is that it's supposedly a different computer then the one that holds the odometer programming and such.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:38 AM

Since he (service mananger) is doing his own CYA, by calling you to let you know they scewed up and wouldn't have been a big deal if they would have had the part and didn't have to keep your rig longer.
Do your own CYA and have everything documented by them, everything that was broken and "fixed", for your records in case something wierd electrical, or emmisions related happens later on (in a resonable amount of time).
Old 08-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Pretty sure the ECU doesn't record the odo readings. I think that's in the gauge cluster itself, is it not?
Old 08-03-2004, 07:13 PM

I stopped by the dealer this afternoon to pick up my rental car and was pissed! They gave me a little rinky dink Toyota Corolla in place of my 4Runner! After letting them know how I felt, they claimed that it's all that they had on the lot so I took it.

HOWEVER, I was shocked after driving it. This little thing is quick and extremely addicting to drive. My wife now wants one as a commuter car..lol

Anyhow, the service manager told me he would have the parts in tomorrow and would finish up on the install. We will wait and see...

I'm going to take the Corolla for a spin now.. It's like driving a suped up go cart. It's rated @ 170HP! Can you say pocket rocket?
Old 08-03-2004, 08:43 PM

Speedo and odometer readings are kept in another location though I don't believe its located in the cluster.

The ECM stop code is nothing new. It's not the killer, but, as previously stated, the check sum or parity error is a ECM killer.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:01 PM

I picked up the truck from the dealer this afternoon and here is what goes:

- As the Service manager promised my odometer setting was unaffected but I did lose all of my radio station programming.

- I immediately rolled down the back window and I couldn't smell any sulfur! Once my truck was warmed up good, I got into the throttle a few times and it would only produce a slight burning smell.. I'm convinced that the problem is finally gone.

- Only problem is that my truck is now pinging under heavy throttle. I've never had it do this before and I think it has to do with the ECU "re-learning" my driving habits and configuring itself for the 87 octane. Just to be safe I topped off my tank with some 93 tonight and it hasn't pinged since. I will slowly ween it back to 87 in the next few tanks and continue to monitor it. My S/C'd Tacoma pinged for about a tank of gas right after the install and after a week of driving the ECU adjusted itself. Hopefully the 4Runner will do the same..
Old 08-05-2004, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

I have never run 87 in my rig. Always, 89 or 93 and I never have had a ping or bad smell. Others will state it is a waste of $$, as does CR.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sac State
I have never run 87 in my rig. Always, 89 or 93 and I never have had a ping or bad smell. Others will state it is a waste of $$, as does CR.

It probably is a waste of money but if it gives you that "peace of mind" then who cares.. I change mine up from time to time myself.