Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytime Running Lights

How do I disable my Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on a 2002 4runner? I've tried pulling the 7.5amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood, but that also disabled my high-beam lights. I've heard about a relay to unplug under the dash, but there's 7 or 8 wires in that harness and I'm afraid it'll disconnect more than the DRL. For the money I paid for this vehicle, I'd sure like to have the choice of whether I want my lights on during the day... or in the dark for that matter while I'm going to my hunting stands in the early morning.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome

Welcome setdahook,

One of the great features of yotatech is the search function to find answers to questions. There are really no new questions, just new answers!

Here is a write-up that will answer your questions:

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech..._drl/ducky.htm

Welcome aboard and I hope this helps you with your DRL.

HEY YOU GUYS down there....PLAY NICE!!! :pat:

Brian

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-03-2003 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Below is a link for disabling DLR's on 3rd gen's from the Tech Write-up section of this forum. Funny, I disabled the DLR's on my '01 for the very same reason...

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech..._drl/ducky.htm

Welcome aboard and good luck this season!
HB

Last edited by hillbilly; 10-03-2003 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:26 AM

Welcome !

Not trying to be an but why do you want to disable them ?

With enough idiots driving while distracted, I want every chance I can get to be seen.

David
Old 10-03-2003, 06:45 AM

DRL option.

unlike many SUV owners who have one just to have one or to get groceries. I actually bought my 4 runner because I was tired of getting my pickup truck stuck on the trails and fields here in WI where I spend a lot of time hunting and landscaping etc in the country. It's more of a workhorse for me. Not a vehicle I drive in the city too much. Therefore, there's many times I don't need my headlights on in the daytime! It it sort of bugs me that they're on on a sunny day in the middle of nowhere. I feel like a moron driving around during the day with lights on. If I feel that I need to be seen, I'll put a flashing yellow circulating light on top. Another time I need my lights off is when I'm frequently launching my boat at a busy launch where I live and there's signs that tell us to turn off our headlights so as not to make problems for the other guys backing in...but sorry I can't cause I have DRLs! Like I said, I spent $20k plus for a vehicle and turning the headlights off is not an option? snip, snip and have it my way.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

A suggestion, if your interested- I just bought a toyota factory switch, and wired up the DRL's. I like the safety factor of having them on road, but like to shut them off while offroading- get the best of both worlds. Still need to write it up at some point...
Old 10-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Mad Chem-

Check out this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=disable+DRL

Rwmorrisonjr mentions he's tried several different methods using a switch to disable his '01 DLR system, but nothing seems to work properly with the switch inline. Looks like the older 3rd gens have different DLR systems as compared to the newer 3rd gens.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I used a different method for the switch, which worked on a 2000? 4runner as well, so that might be the difference. I do remember seeing that other thread in the past, it looks like there is a difference with where the relay is located for newer vehicles...

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 10-03-2003 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:20 AM

Re: DRL option.

Originally posted by setdahook
unlike many SUV owners who have one just to have one or to get groceries. I actually bought my 4 runner because I was tired of getting my pickup truck stuck on the trails and fields here in WI where I spend a lot of time hunting and landscaping etc in the country. It's more of a workhorse for me. Not a vehicle I drive in the city too much. Therefore, there's many times I don't need my headlights on in the daytime! It it sort of bugs me that they're on on a sunny day in the middle of nowhere. I feel like a moron driving around during the day with lights on. If I feel that I need to be seen, I'll put a flashing yellow circulating light on top. Another time I need my lights off is when I'm frequently launching my boat at a busy launch where I live and there's signs that tell us to turn off our headlights so as not to make problems for the other guys backing in...but sorry I can't cause I have DRLs! Like I said, I spent $20k plus for a vehicle and turning the headlights off is not an option? snip, snip and have it my way.
I asked an honest question. I have had 3 4runners. I have a part time job at a ski resort where I have to get to work whatever the conditions. To me, there is not a better vehicle built for my needs.

However, I may get groceries on occasion. Sorry.

Personally, I like DRL's as there is a direct correlation between DRL's and collision stats. Don't get me started why rear fog lamps (high intensity rear red lamps) are not mandated in the US...they save lives.

Anyway, as DRL's go off when the parkbrake is applied, I would simply use a diode protected feed into the pin on the DRL ECU that normally sees the park brake feed. The diode is required to prevent problems with back feeding which is common with modern vehicle ECU's sharing many wires (multiplexing).

The more modern DRL's are not a full headlamp wattage, typically just marker lamps or reduce voltage to the headlamps which would avoid the problems you are having at the boat ramp. BTW, the early Saturns have the poorest design. Two lights at full wattage only six inches apart...that does just blind.

Ironically enough, they are an option now....

David
Old 10-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Re: DRL option.

Originally posted by setdahook
I wasn't aware that the "headlights" are on with the DRL's. My wife's '03 only has the DRL's on and not the headlights too.

One suggestion too, don't be so cranky. You're new here, wait until you make a few more friends here to pass judgements like the one above, hehe, take it from me, I did the same thing when I first got here.

Last edited by keisur; 10-03-2003 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

You know guys, I'm sure it's one of those things that came out differently because we're reading it on text and not hearing him say it with different intonations or actually seeing his body language.

I'm sure it was meant to be harmless
Old 10-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
I'll second that...
Old 10-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
You know guys, I'm sure it's one of those things that came out differently because we're reading it on text and not hearing him say it with different intonations or actually seeing his body language.

I agree, but he just sounded like he had too much coffee.

Also, do the headlights come on with the DRL's on the 2002 4Runners, as stated above?

Last edited by keisur; 10-03-2003 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

If the '02 setup like my '01s, the headlights are part of the DRL system. The DRL system activates the headlights at a reduced wattage for a slightly less intense illumination.