Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Darn rear axle outer oil seal...

Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darn rear axle outer oil seal...

So, I have replaced these damn seals a few times. I did it myself once and they started leaking again almost immediately.

I'm trying to decide if I should do it myself, as the dealer wants about 400 in labor to do ONE SIDE.
I only have one side leaking right now.

This last set lasted a couple of years, as I had a dealer do them.

My questions are this...

What am I doing wrong when replacing them that they leak immediately? I thought I was being pretty careful not to hit them with the axle. If it is something I can do differently, then I will go ahead and do them myself...

I think the bearings were done two years ago also, but I dont keep written records and am going off memory. How do you tell if they need to be done while you are in there?

Lastly, I can get these seals at Advanced Auto Parts...should I just go get them at the dealer, or is the quality similar?

thanks in advance
Old 06-25-2010, 01:13 PM

Matt,

I take it you mean the inner rear axle seal?

ABS/non-ABS?

Some tips would be to use the updated OEM inner seal and nothing else. Also, make sure that the axle never rests on the new seated seal when putting it back into the diff. To test the bearings, stand the axle straight up while on the ground and move the shaft around to see if there is any play in it. I've had the differential fluid get in the bearings and push the grease out. Not fun.

It may be a long shot but you may have a bent axle shaft.

Someone from toyota-4runner.org just posted in the last two weeks an extremely detailed write up on replacing the seals. Take a look at it.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 PM

Hey, thanks for directing me to that write up.

From the write up, it could be either that I run synthetic or that the breather is clogged.
I havent checked that breather....ever, I think.

Now, the curious thing is this.
I got quoted from the dealer to do the ONE side, bearings and all, for around 500.

He got quoted 1200 for both sides, and it cost him 600 or so to do it himself.

Half of 600 is 300...meaning it would only cost me a couple hundred more to have somebody else do it.

got me thinking...
Old 06-25-2010, 11:05 PM

thats what i would suggest is the diff breather. i found a write up with something similar that i did but i found mine was by far the easiest! first you'll need to go to NAPA or something and get a barb hose fitting with 1/8" National Pipe Thread. also grab about 8 feet of fuel line that'll fit the barb. probably like 1/4" I.D. along with a small hose clamp(the smallest ones) i had some gasket maker that comes in a bottle which i find to be a very good idea. also some zip ties, the nice heavy duty ones. when your ready to work on it,
drop the space tire(for more working room) and
clean around the breather plug good so no dirt or crap falls in.
remove it with an extended socket(12mm i believe??)
try and make sure nothin drops in the diff
now try threading the new barb fitting into that hole.
when i did it, it threaded about 1/2 -3/4 turn and got real tight. you will be SLIGHTLY crossthreading to get it in but as long as it goes in tight, it isnt a high stress application. you can add some of the gasket in a tube to the threads to be safe if you want. get that like half way in and tight, nothing more is needed. put the hose clamp around the hose, feed the hose over the barb and tighten the clamp. now just feed it up through the frame and whatever, till where you want it. one key thing is to make sure the where it takes off from the differential, it goes straight up. you dont want fluid bouncing in the hose, building up, and causing the same problem again. keeping it straight as possible, lessens the chance of the fluid actually staying inside the tube. what i did was run it over the frame, up to where the rear bumper and tailight kinda meet. just below the light is a small hole. i ran it through that hole and up beside the tail light right next to the weather stripping of the back door. tape it, glue it, or let it stand on it's own like i did. double check it all is sealed and aint gonna move no where, and there you go. **forgot to add that you take the OLD breather plug, clean it up real good, make sure it moves and what not, the screw it in the top of the new breather tube. that way no rain gets in it but it wont get all clogged up. its a tough fit but make it work.
***this write up wasn't planned, i just got wisdom teeth out, takin pain killers, and rambled on and it's late. tomorrow ill try to remember to make my own thread with this and i will definitely try to add some pictures

Last edited by redhawk427; 06-25-2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: forgot a part...
Old 06-26-2010, 03:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redhawk427
***this write up wasn't planned, i just got wisdom teeth out, takin pain killers, and rambled on and it's late. tomorrow ill try to remember to make my own thread with this and i will definitely try to add some pictures

Ha ha ha, I did the same a month ago when I had mine removed. I highly recommend you do nothing and take it extremely easy for the next few days. I felt fine right after surgery and was even outside doing a few things. The next day I still felt fine then decided to play with my nephew and pick him up a few times. Within hours I hurt very badly. Wound up even having to go back the first Monday where I found out I had a dry socket. Search for oil of cloves and dry socket and you'll find millions of info on it. It worked for me and I felt much better.

Back on topic: I was going to ask if you ever did the diff breather mod and I'd recommend you do so first. I had the same problem you did then I did the breather mod. Also you may want to check for a bent axle. The easiest and best way to tell is to jack up both rear vehicles, CHOCK THE FRONTS!, have an assistant put it in gear and watch both wheels. If either wheels wobble in and out then most likely you have a bent axle. To confirm this you need to take the axle out and use a true straight edge along the shaft to see if it has any curvature.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:17 AM

this is a really strange coincidence...but I'm calling an oral surgeon this week for the exact same thing.
My bottom left one is impacted so badly I can feel a flap of torn gum all the way back in the corner with my tongue

doesnt hurt, but I guess it is time to do something I've been putting off for many years now...all four need to be pulled...ouch.

I appreciate the write up guys.
The breather was not clogged. I only really drive it on the street, and in florida, so no salty roads or stuff like that.

I do run synthetic, so this is probably what caused it after two or so years now.

I'm gonna do the job myself, as I talked with the dealer some more, and the 500 is labor only...
Old 06-27-2010, 01:32 AM

that is really strange lol. yeah it really wasnt that bad. i got all 4 out and barely swelled. just stay on top of the ice packs, and keep on top of pain killers and it's no problem. careful of what you eat but of course the doctor will tell you this. definitely go to the oral surgeon though. i did and am very glad. its a relief to finally just get it over with. good luck
Old 06-27-2010, 04:45 PM

I just got mine done at my local mechanic, for $275 total including Toyota seals. It took him about two hours to do both sides. Those quotes seem quite high to me