Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CV's need fixin

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV's need fixin

WEll it finally happened. my inner driver side boot came apart yesterday. I havent really driven much since it happened. I will have a new set of boots, clamps etc in my hands tomorrow, so i will can be up and running for next week. I found this front axle diagram, but its from a 99 manual. DO all 3rd gens have the same front end or is my 97 different than the 99. I was wondering cause i was gonna use this to help me change the boots. Also is there anything else i should know before i take this on. thanks for the help
Old 08-15-2003, 10:46 AM

Hey man, sorry abou your problem. It is real easy to fix, try to search "cv" or "drive axle" on the forum. I have done several write ups for people with drive axle problems. Look for a write up by me because it is pretty in depth. If you are just replacing the boot make sure you clean he hell out of it and apply alot of CV greece to it. I have replaced my drive axles 4 times and do not recomend taking apart the outboard joint to replace that boot, the inner boot is real easy to replace. Make sure your CVs are in good shape. For $80 w/ $40 core you can get new drive axles and you don't have to replace the boots and worry about the greece. Good luck man and personal message me if you have any questions/comments
Old 08-15-2003, 12:46 PM

i couldnt find a write up for this for some strange reason, but i know they are out there cause i have seen them, maybe i'm just not searching for the riht keywords. my buddy in the auto parts business is getting me all 4 boots for around $40. so i figure since i know when the boot tore, and it hasnt really been driven that it shouldnt be too bad. SO i am just gonna do the boots for now. having a full shop helps too. i have the front end already apart, so tomorrow all i have to do is put it back together with new boots. it didnt take too long.