Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CV Joint on Surf

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Ava

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV Joint on Surf

Can any of you guys with a workshop manual tell me if there are balls or rollers inside the CV Joint of a Hilux Surf SSR-X V6 of 1993?. Perhaps point me to a website with an exploded view or something? I'm trying to figure out if the mechanic who replaced the boots inserted something the wrong way and now my car vibrates and is making a destructive sounding noise in 4WD.

TIA,
Ava.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:18 PM

If you are talking about the inner CV-joint, it is the tripod style with three roller bearings.

The outer CV-joint has 6 ball bearings.

The problem may not be the CV-joint, or the axle-shaft at all. Often, mechanics will drop the lower a-arm to make it easier to remove the axle-shaft, and this means you will need an alignment. You can see what I mean when you look at the cams that align the a-arm the the frame.

It could also be that they messed up you hub, or wheel bearings while removing the axle. This is less likely, because it is not really necessary to remove the hub.

Another possibility is that the tripod joint was not secured properly.

To be honest, there are som many things that could cause grinding, and vibration.

Obviously the mechanic is to blame if there was no problem before the boot was repaired. Take it back to them and complain. Ask them if they dropped the a-arm. If all else fails ask for a remanufactured axle-shaft.

When my inner boot ripped open, I just replaced the whole axle-shaft with a remanufactured one for about $85 USD. If I was going to reboot it would have cost me about $40 less, but it wasn't worth it in my opinion. Besides most shops charge an arm and a leg to do that kind of work, due to the amount of labor involved. When I worked at a Toyota dealership, I believe they charged about $400 for the job. $40 in parts, and $360 in labor.

Regardless, good luck.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:23 PM

I found a site that will show you what the outer joint looks like, different vehicle, but same joint.

Ball-Bearing CV-joint

Also found a nice PDF detialing both styles, and how to fix them.

PartsPlus tutorial
Old 02-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Ava

Originally posted by channer
The problem may not be the CV-joint, or the axle-shaft at all. Often, mechanics will drop the lower a-arm to make it easier to remove the axle-shaft, and this means you will need an alignment. You can see what I mean when you look at the cams that align the a-arm the the frame.

It could also be that they messed up you hub, or wheel bearings while removing the axle. This is less likely, because it is not really necessary to remove the hub.
They claim that they didn't remove the hubs, and thay also claim there's nothing wrong with any of the components. I can see the nuts were removed on the A-arm, but if the wheels are no longer properly aligned, would I not feel the same vibration driving on 2WD?

[Another possibility is that the tripod joint was not secured properly.

To be honest, there are som many things that could cause grinding, and vibration.

Obviously the mechanic is to blame if there was no problem before the boot was repaired. Take it back to them and complain. Ask them if they dropped the a-arm. If all else fails ask for a remanufactured axle-shaft.
I went back and they worked on it for four (!) hours and couldn't find anything wrong. They drove around with the left axle disconnected at the gearbox and everything sounded as it should and no vibration. But I'm not sure 4WD (3WD actually) would work that way. And a mechanic told me the shafts on this car always rotate while driving, even in 2WD, so if were an CV Joint problem I would hear it on 2WD too.

Another garage did a test drive and concluded it was just dum luck and that the gearbox was broken. Just at the same time the boots were replaced. Hmmm... It was an acident waiting to happen. But a friend of a friend, who ownes a little garage, specialized in automatic transmissions, did not recognize it as being a gearbox problem.

While the mechanic was driving the airco stopped working. I just had it checked and filled up with R12 (I hope, because R22 or what it is called leakes through the rubber meant for R12).

Starts to look like I bought a lemon.

Ava.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:09 PM

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me that it only vibrates in 4WD. Is it possible that they somehow messed up the ADD system?

I don't know too much about the ADD system, but it sounds as if it is a possible culprit, due to the problems existing in 4WD only.

Look here for more on the ADD

As for the A/C, it is possible that the vibration knocked somehting loose. Just a thought.

They drove around with the left axle disconnected at the gearbox and everything sounded as it should and no vibration.
Notice that the ADD system uses a sleeve and an actuator. The sleeve should move when 4WD is engaged, but if it is hanging up it would most likely cause problems.

And a mechanic told me the shafts on this car always rotate while driving, even in 2WD, so if were an CV Joint problem I would hear it on 2WD too.
This is true, which means that it is very possible that the ADD system is the culprit.