Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CV Boot help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV Boot help

I need to replace the driver side CV boot on my 94 4runner. Is it easier to just replace the boot or the entire axle? How hard is this to do?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:18 AM

It has been my experience that the boot replacement kits don't work that great. They fall apart quickly. I would replace the whole axle. If it's your first time it will take a couple to a few hours. It's not too bad. Taking apart the 4wd hub is one of the trickiest parts. There are write-ups on it. Just have to search the forum.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Are the 2nd gen CV boots more difficult to replace than 3rd gens?

I just replaced my inner CV boot the other day, and it was pretty easy. I didnt have to replace the axle. I dont understand why you would replace the axle if its just a torn CV boot.

The kits are just a CV boots and new clamps and grease.

You just have to pull the spindle off the axle, which is only hard becasue the parts are alittle rusted together. once thats off, you can literally pull out the axle from the diff.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:41 AM

The first time you take the CV's out of a 1st gen IFS truck (1st gen IFS being 86-95) you should press out the studs on the drive-flanges and replace them with hardened bolts. That way you can remove CV's without disassembling anything else. I really like how the older trucks have a sealed front diff even without CV's.

I'd just take your CV's to the local auto parts store and get refurbs for about $100 ea after core. That's what I usually do.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm interesting, I didnt know that.

Thats why my first gen never had any CV problems even after being lifted....except for the CRANK CRREEEKKK CRUNCH noise. hehe
Old 12-08-2004, 10:06 AM

so you knocked out the studs on the flange and used new bolts that u slid thru in the opposite direction - thats it?

That must make the job much easier. Any details on the new bolts?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
The first time you take the CV's out of a 1st gen IFS truck (1st gen IFS being 86-95) you should press out the studs on the drive-flanges and replace them with hardened bolts. That way you can remove CV's without disassembling anything else. I really like how the older trucks have a sealed front diff even without CV's.

I'd just take your CV's to the local auto parts store and get refurbs for about $100 ea after core. That's what I usually do.
That's what I did on my truck when putting a Tru-Track in the front axle. I used some stubby grade 8 bolts and had to use a drill to shave off the flutes that held the old studs in the axle flange. This let the bolts slide in easily. Furthermore on the short side of the axle, it's very hard to slide the bolts in without hitting the diff casting. I belive there's only one position where a bolt can slide in, so you have to rotate the axle flange to insert all the bolts on that side. I used rebuilt axle shafts that I got at BAP/GEON auto parts store.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:08 PM
NRM
Contributing Member

I just replaced a torn cv boot on my '95runner this summer and simply because it was the first time, it was a bitch. But absolutely do not replace the whole axle if the boot's just torn. A new boot cost me $15 at Napa. Like K-bomb said, the 4wd hub was the toughest part. but basically once you unbolt the axle from the diff., you've gotta angle it out where the bolts don't catch and then disconnect the hub on the outside of the axle. If you wanna PM me i'll be glad to go into more detail about how exactly i did it. Plus i've got a few pictures i believe.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Steveh29
That's what I did on my truck when putting a Tru-Track in the front axle. I used some stubby grade 8 bolts and had to use a drill to shave off the flutes that held the old studs in the axle flange. This let the bolts slide in easily. Furthermore on the short side of the axle, it's very hard to slide the bolts in without hitting the diff casting. I belive there's only one position where a bolt can slide in, so you have to rotate the axle flange to insert all the bolts on that side. I used rebuilt axle shafts that I got at BAP/GEON auto parts store.
Bingo!

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:54 AM

Thanks all!

Bingo!

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town.

Thanks all! I replaced the axle without too much head ache! Should be good for another ten years!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

When you do this are you getting a refurbished Toyota axle? What I'm wondering about is the quality of the stuff you are getting back. There are some parts that people say to only use a Toyota OEM replacement, maybe this ISN'T one of them .
Old 01-24-2005, 12:14 PM

I'm not positive but typically the term refurbished implies factory parts rebuilt to factory specs. Basically as good as new...

Even if they only lasted half as long, it's still cheap and easy to replace them when you source them this way and once you have modified the diff. flanges to accept bolts not studs as described above.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:50 PM

i had to take swaybar links loose to get outer c/v out.they were rusted bad.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

I purchased some aftermarket axles and installed them both in about 2 1/2 hours. My first run with them both inner boots shredded. I then replaced them with OEM boots-that took about 3 hours. I think the boots that come on reman axles are inferior, and if you have the time, just go to the dealer, get a boot kit, and replace them.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Marc P
I purchased some aftermarket axles and installed them both in about 2 1/2 hours. My first run with them both inner boots shredded. I then replaced them with OEM boots-that took about 3 hours. I think the boots that come on reman axles are inferior, and if you have the time, just go to the dealer, get a boot kit, and replace them.
Thanks for the input Marc,

That was exactly what I was worried about. I'm just going to get some OEM boots since the axle is fine.