Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CV Boot Help????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV Boot Help????

Hey guys I really really need help finding a site that can help me fix my inboard CV joint, it torn clean off the axel and has been that way for before I owned the truck, so at least more than a month.

Anyways I still would really like to fix this thing on my own and before a 4ROC NC ride on Aug. 11th. So if ANYONE can help me in anyway PLEASE do so. Is than an easy fix or soimething better left to the stealership.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:08 PM

Just saw this in the maintenance forum.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=14761

Do you have a manual?
Old 07-30-2003, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

If the boot has been torn for a long time, you will probably want to replace it with a new or rebuilt axle. The dirt and grime from the road has contaminated the joint in two ways: First, the rocks and dirt will be like sandpaper on your joint. Second, the grease is no longer in the joint whatever is remaining has probably dried out. These will wear it down. If you clean it and throw on a new boot, you run the risk of the joint itself going out (since it is probably worn).

I recommend you buy 1 new axle for the side that has a broken boot. If you are up for a very messy task (and if the other side isn't broken open), buy new boots for the other side and put those on like I did.

-Use either a Haynes or Toyota manual.
-Soak nuts with PB Blaster either the night before or an hour before taking them off.

The 4Runner will be different than my Celica because it doesn't have the 6 hex nuts holding the inner joint, it just slides out.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:56 AM

Stump, I've created a little word document that gives the details on replacing CV boots for 2nd Gens. Don't know if it will work for 3rd gens. But it's always worth a shot.
And it's a lot easier than people think.

In fact I'll be replacing my passenger side boots this weekend.

Do yourself a favor and go to Toyota and buy a pair of boots for $32.00 and a hub gasket (sorry don't know what the part number was. Toyota just gave it to me because it's like $.03 or something) and spend a max of 2 hours fixing it.

If you can loosen a bunch of bolts than you can replace the CV boots.

Besides if you learn to do it now you'll save a bunch of money in the future.

Send me a PM and I'll be happy to email you the document.

Sorry, don't have a digital camera, so pictures were'nt available. But, I'll try real hard to get them this weekend.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:01 AM

Real easy if the inner joint is the diff side.
The diff side boots are toyota spacific and can be purchased from toyota. Jack up, pop the wheel off and loosen the axle nut (34mm?) loosen the ABS sensor bolts take the 4bolts off from under the arm that you jacked up and slide the break/wheel assembly out of the way. You can undo the clamp on the boot and slide the joint apart leaving the very end joint still in the diff. This is the easiest. Wipe the left over cv grease off and remove the snap ring and pull the tri bearing thingy (it slides off and stays together not like the celica off and slide the old boot off and put the new one on. Put the bearing assembally and the snap ring back on and replace the small clamp. Apply alot of cv greece inside the boot and put it back in the tri joint then attach the main clamp the boot and reassemble. To replace the entire drive axle it pops out from the diff(with a pry bar). then pop the new in and reassemble.

Auto Zone has remans for $80something with $40 core
CV unlimited has Newfeild joints on reman toyota axles 100% silicon boots for $500 a pair and &100 core
I would try to replace just the boot hope it helps